Posts by mollydyer

The XR18 / X18 can be set up as a (irrc) 16 18 i/o usb interface. So you *could* create a virtual soundcheck if you wanted. That might make life a bit easier for you.

Does Jimmy Page need to give royalties to Gibson and Fender for using their instruments to make hit records?

If you're not giving away the original IR with the profile, I don't see a problem.

No, but The Verve had to give royalties to the stones for using a sample of an orchestral cover. The cover was licensed, but the sample was NOT.

The IRs could be considered a sample, versus an instrument. It's fuzzy.

True, although typically with commercial libraries the licenses explicitly allow you to sell / distribute software you created using their libraries, since that was the point of buying the library in the first place. You just can't distribute the library / source code itself.

Actually, I was thinking specifically of libraries like JUCE. Or some codecs, that are paid license for commercial distribution. IE, I can't build a commercial JUCE based app or plugin without licensing ($) the JUCE framework. https://shop.juce.com/get-juce

The same logic can be applied to music samples guys- without a license to use that content. IANAL, but I'd say the same rules would apply here, if not to the letter then in spirit.

IOW, get in touch with the creator of the content and make sure it's okay :)

A microphone's purpose is to capture an audio signal. That's what it's for. This is very very different.

An IR is meant to simulate a cabinet. The QUESTION is - is it meant to simply simulate a cabinet, or is it mean to simulate a cabinet in a specific setting - meaning, for the aural enjoyment of the audience?

Am I allowed to sell a profile of a profile? I don't mean a copy, but rather... if I profile my kemper with another kemper while running a commercial profile? Disregard any issues with quality in this case, I'm not asking if it will sound good. I'm asking if I would be *allowed* to.

My proprietary code example is perfectly valid - in that it pertains to licensing. It's up to the OP to do the research here, really. If Ownhammer's licenses limit the use of their IRs for performances, either live or recorded, then the point is moot and it's not allowed.

Interesting, even if it's just a thought experiment.

Yeah- you need to tell them that you're in true stereo, and ask nicely to pan hard left / right.

Note- this has nothing to do with the Mimiq, you would need to do this regardless.

Well, it seems that the consensus is on your side.

BUT

If I were creating commercial IRs, I would want to do everything in my power to stop those IRs from being distributed outside of my sales channels. Which makes sense, right? I have a right to profit from my work. Or at a minimum, not take a loss on it.

And then you take my IR, and create a Kemper profile using it. It becomes hugely popular, and you, a newly minted millionaire, live life in the lap of luxury. With Lamborghini Kitchen Appliances and a Trophy Wife.

The real question here is - do I deserve a cut? Could you have made your product without mine?

In the software world, if I build a product (software) that uses proprietary code from another developer, I would need to license it. There may already be a license in place - one of the many open source licenses. It could also be a proprietary commercial license.

I would be in violation of that license.

So, we can't really answer this question - you need to reach out to whomever created the IR you are using and see what the terms of use actually state. A recording using that IR would most certainly be covered- but creating what is in effect an IR of a different type may not.

Just ordered mine. I'm in the US and it ships from Colorado (where plants of dubious medicinal value are legal), so if it arrives with bloodshot LEDs and a serious case of the munchies I'll understand.

I really like the functionality and am looking forward to getting it, but have also read a number of posts here about instability. Have you encountered any glitchiness with yours or is it well behaved?

The *only* issue I had with it was with a bad ethernet patch cable (I put a patch panel on the front of the rack with USB, midi, xlr outs, ethernet and a 1/4"- and the ethernet cable I used originally was shit). Otherwise, it's perfect.

Agreed. Technology can get you almost all the way there, if you plan ahead. There is no magic bullet, but you can certainly sight the gun and range the target.

We use an Behringer X32. We've used it as a stagebox, monitor worlds and I've done many shows where I self mix. The *trick* is in getting your levels right, so I spend special attention to my kemper levels.

The behringer mixers are GREAT - and if equipped well, they can make a WORLD of difference if you're self mixing.

Our X32 has the X-Live card installed. This is a combination USB interface + SD card 32 track recorder. We track (almost) every rehearsal. With this installed I'm able to do a virtual sound check, adjust eq and levels and make sure everything sounds perfect right out of the box *without the band there*. The X32 is a mixer AND 32 track recording box, all in one.

The X32 is also connected over wifi, so I can roam the venue with the virtual soundcheck running and adjust the mix (to get it 98% of the way there). The band can also mix their own monitor busses.

Again, getting your levels right at the start is the key.... and I'm about to go back into my studio and fix some things right now :)

Because with the tech, I totally can.

I plug my guitar rig into my DAW and get the level up on the first slot/performance so it's at around -4 on the meters. Where it's actually at doesn't actually matter as long as the signal is decent - it's just a reference point- I then go through the rest of the slots in the rest of the performances and get them to around the same place- boosting / cutting as appropriate for the song.

Yeah- I've used Digitech (GSP7, 21, 2120, 1101) with a marshal valvestate power amp and a 2x12 in the past, but most recently I was playing direct to house with an atomic amplifire 12, and now the kemper. It's just... I dunno.. better. For me anyway.

With IEMs... there's no point in a cab. I guess.