Posts by mollydyer

That can be a hint to the problem. The DMX board expected a midi note. What ist the difference between a midi note and a midi program change?

A Note is... well, a musical note. C3 for example.
    A program change tells the device to change sounds- from piano to heavy metal tuba, for example.

A control change alters a parameter within that sound+note - usually. Volume or Sustain, for example.

So if the DMX board is expecting a midi note- which the Kemper can't send - then that's the root of the problem. The Kemper can only send out program changes (and maybe control changes, I'd have to check)

Can I have your Kemper then? I can send you an axe. Might need to sharpen it. To save on shipping I can remove the handle.

Yes- you should be able to connect the via a 'thru' option.

That said - I *don't* do this. In the rack I have an MTP AV that serves as a midi merger/distributor- so every automated device on our midi network gets it's own port. This way cable failures are isolated to their devices. (Ie,if the cable to the first Kemper fails the second will still switch). It's just piece of mind redundancy I picked up from my lighting days.

Yep. That tells the Kemper "Use performance number <whatever>"

The others tell it what slot to use.

Good luck dude.

I was doing this kind of automation on my Atomic before I got the Kemper. It's a game changer for me. I'm too clumsy to tap-dance.

The Kemper switches almost instantaneously. The Kemper's display DOES NOT.
    Trust your ears, not your eyes. The patch will take effect before the display updates.

Freaked me out first time I 'saw' that - but in practice it's close-enough-to-instant (if not actually instant, I've not bothered to check that).

Weird- that's a new one for me. MIDI is such a lightweight protocol. The audio tracks actually stutter?

Not sure I can help with that - do you have midi in and out both plugged in? Unplug the out if so- could be a feedback loop or something.

TBH, I'm guessing a bit.

With CC47 - the *value* of that controller selects the patch performance.

Above- at 1|1|000, you see I'm sending CC#47 with a value of 43. This selects my performance for that song (#43).

Then at 1|1|020 I send CC#50 with a value of 127. This selects slot# 1 for performance #43.
    A while later at 28|4|742, I select Slot #2 ( CC51)

and then back to Slot 1 at 37|1|083).

Then one last switch to Slot #2 ( CC#51 again )

That's what you see happening here with the multilane envelope view in PT.

I know it might be a bit weird / challenging translating that to Sonar - I don't have a working version of that here otherwise I'd show you with that.

Ah.

We play to a click, and I align the slot changes to that. You're set up right - so what you need to do now is follow the cakewalk link I sent a few posts ago- you'll start your song off with CC47->the performance number, and then through the song change your slots as needed with CC50/51/52/53/54.

Here's an example - it's Protools, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Down towards the bottom, you can see the click and cue tracks. Right in the middle, you can see where I've inserted Kemper patch changes - and the keyboard / orchestral tracks are towards the top. There's more out of view- including the original audio take, but that's not really relevant here.

When I print everything (again, we play to backing tracks) I export just the Kemper track as a standalone midi track (which I can then import into my uTrack 24 or QLab. Since Cakewalk supports playlists this may not be necessary. Here's ProTools again, with just the midi track imported.

This is how I have us set up.

:D