Posts by StefanErtle

You can profile an OD pedal as I understand it ( similar principle to DI profile), its just there is little point as you can't use it in conjunction with an amp.

You can as you know profile an amp with a pedal too...so not a game changer. I can achieve the same with the KPA although I totally agree it has more flex.

But do we (yet) know if one shot fits all needs? Is there yet prove that it even works better than the drive stomps of Kemper with a given profile?

Well I think one main argument is that Kemper is different. And luckily they are. I sometime get the feeling that customers want the Kemper to become another product. The Kemper has a unique selling proposition since years and hopefully still will have another long time. Why should they change that? If Axe is best for some players use it. If you rather go for a 2 x 12 with an old cranked Marshall go for it. I am happy with the USP of Kemper. Surely improving effects to real world use (way go beyond) is necessary improvement. But all the additional digital options and ways beyond that (two amps, for amps in parallel, 15-min delay) who did ever use this before and for what? Does this make our music better? The most important aspect is our vision of music and technical skills on the guitar. Not the effect-differences you can estimate by Bits and other technical descriptions. I would still be happy with my rack gear if it wasn‘t somehow heavy and inflexible. Kemper is way beyond that quality and remains on their path of products. I dare to say: Everybody‘s darling is anybody’s fool... so best be different Kemper.

I totaly agree! To call a product a ''game changer'' it has to bring something revolutionary not only evolutionary even if it is a very interesting evolution. The creation of the very first modeler was a ''game changer'' then the creation of the first profiler too. All the rest is evolution. QC is evolution and if there is at some point a Kemper II I suppose that it will be more to it than just a repackaging with more power and a beautiful screen.

My wild guess is upstream view (to the player). As I oftentimes read about the big impact of the PUs used for a profile. Maybe they will release a great PU that match / smoothen certain frequencies of Profiles?! So Kabinet was downstream and electronics/PUs would be a great spot to make improvements (Kemper Sustainer). At least I’d be interested how the would change this field and it is also a huge market and very close to the amps-chain.

Thanks for the post. I oftentimes use additionally multi band compression. These does not effect the tone permanently.

Just to get closer to your experience what cab are u talking about? Guitar cab, GFR, FRFR, ... I own a BlueAmp Spark as well as a BlueAmp Conehead. These days I mainly use imprints and would rather wish to get that sound experience in my daw. Although I experienced that my live sound does not fit in every mix (depending on other instruments).

It's not called "XLR" but "etherCON" ... and while we're talking about this, it would be nice to have "powerCON" for the power supply instead of

IEC-60320 C13/C14 and "speakON" for the power amp output instead of the 1/4" phone (TS) socket.

Good idea, my BlueAmp-Cabinets have PowerCon to power my Kemper. So only one power cable needed for my rack. Regarding stiffness I still would prefer xlr standard for the remote and Speakon for cabinets also better than 1/4. But always a matter of the whole system. So all plugs should be the same on both sides.

My rack (pictured left as my avatar) doesn't have room for one. I am assuming this can be mounted inside the Kemper unit? Fortunately I am studio use only, but certainly if I was gigging I would prefer the more robust XLR connector as part of the KPA.

Upps. Mixed things up. I was on the Neutrik Side. Yes XLR would make sense. Prostage used such cables for their dedicated switching system. Updated my avatar with a picture of my rack.

This would seem unlikely. Every nation has different laws surrounding the usable frequency bands, and they change every so often. Thus, it would require a whole bunch of new models, and they would all risk becoming obsolete with the next FCC ruling or IEC directive.

Not so much into corresponding law but there must be something general working due to Yamahas THR10. Just an option. No need to use it but having it would be great.

The only thing I would like to have on a hardware basis is a built in wireless system. All other things like a bigger text layout of the remote, some improvements in configuration (taper) or effect usage is purely software. So surely no real deal maker for me. It is quite astonishing great at all.

Da ist guter Rat teuer. Ich habe die Mission Engineering Pedale EP1. Als Wah klasse (wie ein Cry Baby), als Volumen-Pedal eher mäßig.
    Das Boss FV500 hatte ich auch mal, ist zwar super robust, aber gibt kein gutes Gefühl, da der Regelweg touch2much ist.

Ich habe zwei Mal das gleiche Pedal, damit ich nicht vom Pedalweg her Probleme bekomme und ein einheitlichen Regelweg habe. Ich hoffe noch darauf, dass Kemper den Pedalweg irgendwann für eine individuelle Einstellung des Regelwegs frei gibt. Hatte mein TC G-Force auch und war echt klasse.

With my TC G-Force I was able to decide on what pitch/note the harmonizer was audible and not I would love to hear it on the Kemper. Eg. I decided that the harmonizer would only be engaged/audible when I played a note higher than e2 or c3. So I still could go for a metal-/rock Riff and once noodling some licks the notes then where doubled without a click.

Maybe this is a feature to be applied to the Kemper?

If applied as a kind of automation it could also be used for other features like popping in delay or chorus or auto wah...

I found it to be a great feature.

I too think this would be great. I remember having such options within my tc g-force. There one could put one or two points along the range 0-127 with whom I could adjust the progression of the travel like from 1-60 by moving the pedal 20% and from 61-100 with the next 40% travel and finally the last step from 101-127 with the remaining 40% of the traveling possible with the assigned expression pedal. So „taper“ was no real issue. Should not be a big deal as there is already a calibration which might be enhanced in the future.

P. S. : Maybe a result of vanished racks in the past and the pedalmania...

This is one thing I did notice in the QC videos. Linking expression pedals to multiple parameters looks very much like morphing. HOWEVER, it looks like you can link andy expression pedal to any group of parameters which would effectively mean multiple MORPHING Groups. In my opinion this is a much more flexible and easy to understand/use methodology than the current Kemper 1 x Morph plus various other fixed pedal types than can have multiple uses (wah>Pitch>Volume) which is a pretty unintuitive and overly complicated workflow for my limited brain capacity to handle. I would love to see Kemper ditch the current Wah>Volume>Pitch>Morph thing and replace it with a simple 4 x morphine pedals.

There is currently a good thread about scaling up the morph function of the Kemper. I think morphing different parameters and or effects etc. is a great feature. If then I still could use the assigned effects independently I am more than happy and with such feature with one performance I am done.
    But such features always should be in a useful layout. It is not only the opportunity of having it rather making it ease of use.

My summary:

I still think about the QC as an Upgrade of an UAD Apollo for Gitarrist. I could not think of such a piece of gear being used live and in rehearsal due to the size and layout of the switches as well as I would never be happy with adjusting anything considering the health of my back. Therefore splitting the amp from the rc is in my opinion best choice. But this is only me and there are different opinions for sure.

Hope this wasn‘t asked before.

Is it possible to flatten the most popular or certain earphones to make them sound more pleasing with the Kemper? For listening my BD DT880 are ok but it is nearly impossible to assess and adjust the sound of a profile.
    in many Threads there seem a common sense that even the great earphones sound weird compared to FrFr or considering imprints.

For me that would be a giant leap.

Regards

For me many of this guys do achieve the same good or bad tone with anything. Eg. Lasse Lammert used so many different amps and I never experience any significant difference in his tones. Any different with Ola or Pete Thorn or the others?
    Personally I can see the efficiency with only one floorboard to carry but won‘t be happy with power supply on the front of a stage and not even be happier with a „PC“ next to beer drinking folks. Kemper Rack and Remote best of both worlds and much safer. Also not keen on the rotating knobs as well due to them being too close to each other. Great for fingers and for home use if on the table. Best: No need for a external soundcard.

Discussion: Who wants a digital UI when u have a superior hardware layout on the front? What we do is abuse hardware to achieve great tones. So why then spare physical knobs?! I rather get bothered by the digital opportunities. Eg. Relish offers a sensor-triggered split of coils and PU selection. Anyone interested? Therefore I think there should remain a difference between a software world/an editor and the „Amp“ itself. So u can serve both worlds. It also should be ergonomic in any case.

If it is possible in the future to get closer to the real amp (which is definitely subjective to everyone) I am fine with that and might go for a second version of a Kemper - but then amp results must be way way better than now and is it possible? Only one improvement for me would be a bigger display on the remote. Colors I do not really need.

I've always heard the opposite, that gain is amplified in recordings so one should use less than live. Then again, I don't play metal so different rules might apply and there probably is no right and wrong.

Hiya Kaschko. So did I but found out that at least for my recordings works the other way round. But maybe that would explain the “boominess” in my tracks.

Maybe I also by some new headphones once. Only have to explain it to my wife as she did provide them to my birthday ...

Also make sure that you experience the same loudness whilst comparing with the Kabinet. I rarely use the FrFr-Mode. I have great BluAmp Cabinets but never been absolutely convinced. Bought now a Spark-Cabinet with a Kone from BlueAmps and I am closer to heaven as ever before. Such great experience. And when switching to FrFr it still sounds amazing.