Posts by infernouk

Hey guys

I wanted to set up my kemper to record to my DAW for practicing, i tried just using a guitar cable from the kemper monitor out to my audio interface input, but it didnt sound anywhere near as good as my headphone output...so im sure im doing it wrong

What would be the optimal way to record the kemper with my audio interface? I have this audient id22 in terms of input options: https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id22/overview/

Mainly TAF profiles for the orange and jcm, so reasonable quality profiles, i just feel with the cab section engaged they sound way more boxy and less organic and dynamic that running them straight to open back headphones

To add, i use pretty high output bridge pickups, passives but bareknuckle models so they are quite severe

If you use profiles with a real cab you should always turn off the cab in the kemper. With headphones you shouldn't turn off the internal cabs. If if sounds awful with headphones you need better headphones. Some will sound better with the kemper than others. With different guitars/pickups you maybe need to tweak them a little to suit your sound better. With some profiles you don't need to tweak at all. Some profiles might sound killer on their own but in a band or mix they won't work at all.

I have Audeze LCD-X headphones which are pretty much the best money can buy, to my ears it sounds wierd having this artificial reverb in open back headphones which already have a wide quite organic sound stage of their own, having the cab on sounds super boxy!

Im considering turning off all the EQ in my chain pre or post amp and just doing it all on the amp for now until i learn what im doing and dont ruin any profiles!

Hey guys

Ive had my kemper a few months but not spent a lot of time with the settings, i struggle to get a highish gain tone with it that sounds nice, so I have a few questions (not im a noob generally with gear so i may have made some glaring errors)

So I have a few profiles mainly using Orange, 5150 or JCM800's, I play with either an orange 212 cab or through open back headphones. first question here is, should i be using the cab section or not? As profiles almost always sound worse with the cab turned on either through headphones or my orange cab, so generally i always leave it off. Issue then, is i just get such a gain'y tone its almost just like playing static unless i turn the gain down to around 3/10...

Other question is a lot of my profiles sound quite flat, so i have the studio EQ locked on with these settings on all my profiles (images below of the EQ pages) but im not sure if this is damaging the profiles or enhancing them but it makes them seem more bright and interesting...should i get rid of this and do all my EQ in the amp section block? i normally leave that defaulted to the profile

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/i0VCzFMm.jpg][Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/RMAnyerm.jpg][Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/v2NcjGVm.jpg][Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/1n3VROcm.jpg]

To be honest overall im quite overwhelmed with how many parameters and settings there are and im concerned im doing things to just make it sound worse than it is, considering selling up and moving to something a bit more noob friendly in the hope itll sound better with less room for error! Is there a 'bare minimum' set of parameters i can work with for now to craft sounds without ruining them?

Thanks!

But you won't be spared from adjusting your effects to the respective amp/cab if you want an optimal sound.

That’s not an issue as it’s the same as a traditional setup would be!

Another quick question along the same lines guys, can I lock in a cabinet too via the same Method with the cabinet button? I have one really awesome profile that makes all my others sound weak and I wanted to try and lock in the cab and try other heads with it

Hey guys

I haven’t had too much time to dive into the kemper and work bits out yet but one of my main issues is that having come from a traditional pedal board, I wondered if it’s possible to lock in the pedals and fx sections of the kemper and then change the rig without adjusting these settings?

Often I’ll want to change the profile to a different amo but I want to keep my familiar pedal/fx setups for all of them, but currently it just gives me whatever the profile creator added to that profile.

Any tips on this so I can permanently lock in the pedals and fx and just change the head/cab profile?

Thanks!

I am very new to this although I have been playing tube amps for over 30 years. One thing I think I know for sure at this point, is throw your headphones in the garbage. Even if they cost $300. Maybe they are useful for some things like very low volume playing but for the most part they just do not do any justice to recording, to the profiler, to practice playing, and they just kill the tone.

But I have over 300 purchased profiles and now they sound beautiful. Especially my latest addition. Friedman BE100. What a great amplifier. I will share on Dropbox if interested.

My headphones are $1700 so i think ill avoid the trash ha, theres not a speaker in the world ive heard that are better than my Audeze, im just looking for a monitoring option for when i dont want to be bound to headphones

I was going to suggest the Yammy DXR series, but lightbox had already done so.

This series, especially the DXR10, gets a lot of love around here. Like most Yamaha products, the range provides great bang for buck. There are those who swear by Mission and other "expensive" brands; it all depends on what you're prepared to spend I s'pose.

From everything I've read here 'though, I'd say it'd be hard to go wrong with the DXR10.

yeah the dxr10 was my main prospect when starting the thread, i was just concerned it may not get loud enough in an apartment to sound good, i operating at like 1% volume to keep it at a speaking level roughly when playing loud at home

Cheers, im still wanting a more 'cab' style single speaker rather than studio monitors, i already mix and master on a pair of Audeze LCD-X and sold my last studio monitors as i never used them. So it would be good to have a single solution i could take for live use in the future too. And yeah the wheely chair is something i want to avoid as i spend the majority of my life in one, i prefer the sofa for guitar so dont want a desk near me

Thanks guys, i actually used to have KRK's a long while ago but found them to not be too flat, also not a big fan of the yellow for a living room mainstay. Ive seen some used Laney IRT X for sale used but havent heard anywhere near as much good words about them as alternatives so was going to avoid them. The HS8 may be a good choice for me i guess, i was hoping for a more 'cab' type speaker to atleast keep some of the traditional feel

Hey all,

Ive had my kemper for 2 days and really enjoying it. The issue ive had is i previously had an orange head and a 212 cabinet. I was going to keep the cabinet and run the kemper into it. Issue is ive noticed all profiles kind of sound very samey and not anywhere near as good as when i play through my studio headphones. Im going to assume this is to do with cab colouring and not being a flat response speaker?

So my question is whats the best monitoring solution for me here? I actually sold a pair of Nuemann studio monitors to fund the kemper annoyingly, but i also dont like sitting at a desk playing so didnt really want ot use studio monitors. I hear the DXR10 is a good solution, however im in a flar so cant crank volume and heard that is somewhat necessary for the DXR10. So am i left back at studio monitors being the only option? If so are there a recommended pair as I dont want to invest as much as I did in the Nuemann ones, perhaps some Yamaha NS5's? or even a single studio monitor rather than stereo?

Appreciate theres a lot of questions here, thanks for any guidance in getting the most out my setup!