Posts by stratdude

Man, what a cool guitar. We were just talking about P90s and it never would have occurred to me to do a Strat with that configuration. I think you should do a video with some A/B between a stock Strat single coil and this baby. As a lifelong Strat fanboy I'd love to hear the differences in a context I'm familiar with.

I'll try put something up when I get a chance, probably audio only, video might be beyond my capabilities. That CU24 looks ridiculous, I came this close to getting a PRS a few weeks ago, fella was selling a leftie custom shop Martin because he wasn't playing anymore, got to talking and turned out he had a Taylor and a PRS as well, all top of the line stuff, so we agreed on a price for all three. Then Melbourne went in to a snap lock down and he decided whilst stuck at home that he wanted to take up guitar again. Doh! He still has my number.

I think peer pressure might be getting to us on this forum!

My latest creation:

'94 USA body

'13 USA neck (like new)

Seymour Duncan stacked P90's

Fender mega switch

Left hand pots

Fender trem with pop in arm

Just put it together today (wiring a mega switch is not fun), never owned a P90 guitar before so thought I'd do something different with the body and neck that I picked up (well I thought I was being different before Fender released all their P90 Strats and Teles this year).

Wiring is:

Bridge series

Bridge parallel

Bridge/neck parallel

Neck series

Neck parallel

Parallel wiring gives the traditional P90 sound without the hum, series gets closer to a humbucker sound. I did have to rout the pick up cavity about 2 or 3mm to get these pickups sitting nicely if anyone else decides to fit these pickups in a strat, they're huge!

Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet but definitely liking the different flavours I'm getting out of this, it definitely sounds different to everything else I own. Not a fan of the black, there's a few scuffs in the paint that would likely polish out, but I think I'll have the body resprayed seafoam green, I was just going to see if I bonded with it first but I'm guessing this will be my go to guitar for a while

Looks sweet, I almost picked up a left hand PRS a month ago, but seller backed out, they're a rare beast over here (Aus). The pick up selector knob isn't in the case is it? I always take them off when freighting LP's etc, they tend to break if they're pushing against the case

You can just as easily wire 2 x 8 ohms speakers for 4 ohms, unless you're planning on using the cab with other amp heads that would be the way I would go.

A 150w triple rectifier on 10 is going to be louder than your Kemper on 10, I don't think the Kemper is realisticly a risk of blowing a 150w cab, just leave the poweramp boost off.

A 16 ohm cab may help save your eardrums though, whatever works for you

Here's an honest question, though. In the 90s I went through a variety of rack FX units. I never ran into switching delay like this, and in fact I still have a Quadraverb in my rack. 128 patches, all effectively instant. 30 years later and the new stuff can't do what we had back then? Really?

There was some horrible digital stuff in the 90's too. I recall my brother having a Zoom something or other he was using live (different league, I realise) that had a large delay selecting the next patch.

Ever since experiencing that thing one of the first things I've tested when choosing new digital gear is the latency between patches. After researching (most likely on this forum) I was aware before I bought the Kemper that it would behave in this manner and, although a step backwards from previous gear in having instant access to every patch (TC G Force in my case, although the Kemper is so much more capable), I decided I could work within those limitations.

Now you're aware of the Kemper's limitations, you just have to decide whether you can work with them or not.

P.S. I'm only trying to help, not argue.

P.P.S. I don't play 3 minute pop songs (any more)

?

Surely the pauses between musical performances in theatre a greater than 250ms? My gcx switcher can switch instantly to whichever preset is required, but in the digital modeling/profiling realm all pro products are going to have a small gap before selecting the next bank, it's how they're designed. I'm not trying to sound condescending, it's just a matter of planning ahead

OK, that makes sense.

What can be done to minimize this delay? Does the total number of rigs or performances loaded into the KPA make a difference?

Is the Stage faster than the rack/toaster?

The delay switching between performances is unimportant. Switching between 5 rigs in one performance is instant (audio is instant, the graphical display will lag, also unimportant). I can't imagine you'd need more than 5 rigs for one song (performance). Switching to the next performance assumes you are starting a new song

+1 for the HS8's, just remember playing through monitors will sound like playing through monitors no matter how much money you spend. High gain can take a while to adjust your ear to if you're used to tube amps and cabs but for an all in one solution for your stage, recording music and music playback, good quality monitors are the way to go

? I think I'd just bought a partscaster strat with a '68 body ($400, score!) just before I joined the Kemper forum, hence the name. I've got quite a variety of stuff, but the 3 guitars I've caused significant fret wear to over the last 3 decades would be 2 strats and a Warmoth super strat so the name's pretty accurate I guess. I do really need a Gretsch though. Yes I have GAS, but I only need one more guitar...

I tried buying someone's L/H guitar collection for a tad more than that last week, we agreed on a price but then he had a change of heart. That was a custom shop Martin, a Taylor nylon and a PRS.

If someone else is footing this £3500, then this ugly thing has got me drooling.... (it's on Reverb at the moment if anyone's feeling guilty about forgetting my Christmas present ^^)

Any reason you're not keen on UHF? I can't fault it, Ideally I'd rather go a/d straight into the Kemper (the Kemper accepting a wireless digital signal) but at the moment you're going a/d/a/d with a digital wireless, (not that any of us could likely pick the difference) but I don't see an obvious benefit

I would like that too but I really like having a "bug in the plug". I can change guitars silently just as fast as a cord or faster. I may even pop it in my pocket for a second. My only wish would be that it had easily replaceable rechargeable battery and that it had a rotateable jack with settable tension so it stays flat on a 335 or fits into a strat. When I was using packs, I used the same strap all night that I had the pack secured to. I used Schaller straplocks and could change the strap very quickly. I also did he back pocket thing but usually it ends up on the floor with my guitar

Samson Airline 88 UHF, I don't believe anything else fits your description

Samson Airline 77/88, I have the 77 but the 88 has an adjustable/pivotable bug transmitter. I've no experience with the line 6 units but the Airline series is uhf, not digital, whether that's better or not is up to you. They have a volume pot so you match levels if that's a concern. I have an x vive as a back up and I reckon the output maybe a bit hotter than a lead, but I've never done an a/b test