Posts by Chris Duncan

While I sold all my tube amps, I kept my V30 cabs, a 25 year old 4x12 1960A that's nicely broken in, and a couple of closed back single cabs. When I first got the Kemper I ran through the 4x12, and it sounded great. However, I have a small car and it wouldn't fit, hence the DXR-10 (in no small part due to your recommendation among others). It also sounds great, but different.

I'm no longer looking for a band to play live with so my Kemper usage is studio only. Sometimes I listen through the studio monitors as I track, but when I want to feel the hair on my arms vibrate I go into the live room and fire up the FRFR. Having lived with that setup for quite some time now, I think I need to wheel the 4x12 back out and see how it sounds with fresh ears.

V8guitar: Thanks for asking. I rarely play larger gigs. I would put the tracks and vocals, along with the KPA guitar sound through the cabs in stereo so that I don't have to bring a lot of equipment. I play solo gigs in Florida and then more back home in the summer. "Think, the solo guy you listen to while drinking Margaritas at a Tiki bar". Everything goes through one of my PA's. I don't use monitors as they aren't needed in a simple solo set-up. The key is quick set-up and less to carry. I sometimes do 2-3, 3-hr gigs a day and simplicity is key. I normally use a Bose L1 Model 2, which is more than loud enough for these gigs. I've also used a Mackie Freeplay (original one) and it works fine for most gigs too. I still have both of those, but want to go stereo because in my studio, I rehearse through studio monitors (backing tracks, vocals and Kemper in stereo) and it sounds so much better than live, mainly the Kemper effects. JBL is coming out with IRX 12's, then there are the Bose S1 Pro's, etc.. The JBL IRX's at $379 ea. may be the way to go, I just thought it would be a cool simple set-up to have everything going through two cabinets in stereo fitted with the Kone's . . . . if it sounded decent enough. That way I could use the speaker Imprints too.

Pure speculation on my part of course, but it seems to me that if you need guitar + backing + vox that a traditional full range speaker would be a good fit. I get the impression that the whole point of the Kone is to tailor it to guitar.

If I was doing a single I'd use the DXR-10. If it was a band gig and purely for on stage guitar monitoring, the Kone might be a better fit. In that scenario I would assume a separate wedge / ears for vocal monitors. I wouldn't run my vox monitors through a Marshall 4x12, and it seems like you'd think of the Kone in the same way.

I understand that, but how do I write a proper bug report when I have no idea how it happened. I did notice that the corrupt rigs were all ones that I 'favorited' with the new RM....but I'm not sure that's much of a help. I'm sure not going to try for a 'steps to reproduce'. One complete restore was enough for me.

I completely understand your frustration. As for myself, I don't usually participate in beta programs unless I have a separate, disposable environment I can use for beta that doesn't affect my needs for the actual production software. Since I only have one Kemper and prefer to have a stable environment, I'm not testing the RM betas. If I had two Kempers I'd probably give it a shot.

I develop software for a living, so I know steps to reproduce can be a lot of work. However, if you're involved in a beta program, there's a kind of unspoken agreement. You get to play with cool new features before they're released. In return, when you find a problem, you do your best to give the dev team what they need to reproduce the bug. If we can't make the bug happen, we have no idea if the fix actually works.

That said, if you're not comfortable with the amount of work that requires, or with things like the chance of data loss, then using beta software probably isn't something that you'll enjoy. I'd just wait until the production release.

But be sure to thank all those brave souls who are finding and reporting bugs so that we get really good stuff when it's released! :)

Could you suggest some good in ears?

If you have the budget for it, the difference between custom mold ears and the generic ones you get with a wireless setup is huge. I have a pair of Ultimate Ears, I forget which model but it was around the $500 range. Add another $60 for a visit to an audiologist to get the ear molds made. A bit of a hassle to have to make the trip but the end results are very much worth it. I previously had some generic Shures which were okay but not even remotely comparable to custom molds.

Also, the folks at UE were very down to earth and helpful. They have versions going up to $1200 and I asked the rep, honestly, how much better is it going to be? He told me that for what I was doing, monitoring my vocals and guitar with full a band mix, that there really wasn't a big difference. This, from salesperson, who I would normally expect to point me to the most expensive thing I'm willing to buy.

I also had to send mine in for repair because I tore the cable out of the earbuds (I wasn't paying attention and it was caught on something, not a quality issue). They had them back in a week.

Westone is another good brand of custom molds, but I don't have any experience with them. For quality and service, however, I can definitely recommend UE. Hope this helps.

Built? Woah!

Yeah, Alan is one of my heroes given that my friends do their best to keep me away from woodworking tools and other sharp objects.

The closest I ever got to that level was stripping the white paint off an SG back in the 70s (it was pretty beat up looking) and staining the wood. Man, I thought I'd never get that freakin' paint off. No more of that stuff for me!

After far too much insanity in previous years, a more modest list.

In:

• DXR-10, twice. First for Kemper then a second one so I have a pair of powered monitors in the live room.
    • Projector stand for toaster
    • Korg Kronos keyboard, because it's impressive to play more than one instrument poorly.
    • Argosy desk for said Kronos

Out?

You mean we're supposed to get rid of stuff, too? Hey, this changes everything...

Perhaps this is not a unit for beginners of modeling gear.

One thing that will help us point you in the right direction is knowing how you're using it and what you're looking to accomplish. For example, I don't play bar gigs anymore and spend most of my time in the studio, so stuff like reamping and the occasional bit of MIDI are things I really enjoy.

Some folks don't gig and just want to plug in the guitar, turn on the amp, and rock out. So that's obviously a simpler scenario.

I tend to pick a profile I like and just use it, but there are also people who are really into sound design and will take a basic profile and sculpt it with EQ and other effects. Naturally there's more knobs to twist for that sort of thing.

Others use it primarily for gigging. They'll load up the profiles they want and perhaps use the remote and thus set up performances.

And then there are the people who actually create profiles. Not all of us do. For example, I really suck at dialing in a tone, always have. I love the fact that I can load a profile from someone who's good at it and just play guitar. Profiling is its own thing, so that's yet another use case.

There are also many varieties of studio rats (I'm the kind with the grey hair). If you're going to be recording, there are many things that can be a factor depending on the complexity or simplicity of your studio setup. Want to just jack the Kemper analog out into your audio interface and press the big red button? No problem. However, there's a wealth of options like SPDIF, monitoring, reamping etc. (I love the fact that the Kemper was designed with reamping in mind).

Many of us here are geeks, professional or otherwise, so the techie stuff comes more easily. For instance, I develop software for a living, so I guess technically I'm the variety of studio rat that has grey hair and a pocket protector. However, you don't have to be an auto mechanic (with apologies to Gary Larson) to figure this stuff out. It's the same as any product. If the tech manual has 1,000 pages it doesn't matter, as long as I know how to find the 3 pages that I care about.

So, what sort of scenarios are you going to be using the Kemper in? The more we know about what you're looking to accomplish, the easier it is to point you in the right direction.

I think once you get the basic concepts down you'll find it much easier to use than you might think. After that it's just a matter of knowing which page to look for to learn the particular new thing you want to do.

There are several manuals. The main manual is full details for when that's what you need. There's also the MIDI parameter documentation, equally detailed. Additionally, there's the PROFILER Quick Start for Head, PowerHead, Rack, and PowerRack models. It's 26 pages and is probably what you're looking for. Once you get up and running and want to delve into deeper matters, you can reference the main manual and MIDI guide to get the most out of your Kemper.

Go to the downloads section and make sure User Manuals is selected. Change the filter to Oldest Addition and you'll see the quick start referenced above. I would heartily agree with @karlic's suggestion about the videos, as they're very nicely done.

I would also mention that the community here is unusually nice by Internet standards. People go out of their way to help you and are very generous with their time and experience. We all get frustrated from time to time but I think you'll find that if you're nice about it you'll have a much better experience than you would with angry or insulting posts. These are nice folks here and they really do want to help.

Native 4K (3840x2160) on a 46" monitor / no scaling on mac. In other words, RM looks the same like in Martin's video but my screen + distance to where I sit allows me to read it without issues. Before that, I was working with a 34" Widescreen (3440x1080) and that worked for me as well without scaling.

As it said, of course it would be nicer if RM would allow you to fully scale everything but I also would like to note that this issue doesn't come up frequently in our support department, if ever, and therefore is a low priority item on our list.

I'm not surprised it doesn't come up frequently for you at this stage of the game. One day down the line full res 4k will probably become popular even in 20-something inch sizes (which I suspect is more common for people), but I don't think today is that day.

I used to have a 42" in the control room, but I have one of those Argosy consoles and it forced me to look up for long periods of time. Not good on the neck and shoulders, so I put a 27" on an arm and have it close enough to touch. My programming monitors are 24" and also that close. They all work fine for Cubase / RM / VS / etc. at 2k, but if they were full res 4k the monitors are small enough that I'd have a tough time reading the text. Not just on RM, but pretty much everything, which is why I haven't been interested in them.

Yeah, my head was into the whole "editor feature version 1.0" frame of mind, so I see your point on that.

And honestly, in all things 4k I'm really talking stuff I don't know since all my monitors are 2k. However, one of the reasons for that is to avoid precisely these kinds of adventures. Even when I do make the move it's more likely to be for a TV than a computer monitor, since for most stuff the computers I have are close enough for rock and roll and I don't want Alan's experience of having to find replacements for otherwise useful apps because they don't play nice with high res.

I fall into category 1). My Kemper is in a side rack that's just within arm's reach, but I have to spin the chair and reorient to work with the hardware UI, then back around to the PC monitor. It's not a huge inconvenience, just as the small screen and need for paging on the hardware UI isn't bad.

That said, I've been in the camp of not really needing the editor, but I can see significant usability improvements in the studio once I have it. This will eliminate the twisting the chair around 90 degrees, dealing with some paging because of the LCD screen size and other such things. Not the sort of thing I would have made a fuss about, but an improvement is an improvement and I'm happy to take it. So, while I could have lived without the editor, I'm very much looking forward to what the flow is like once I have it.

Hey Chris, thanks for the effort to tell me I should be considered an "edge case". :D

Trust me, it's far better than what people call me! ^^

You might be surprised by the amount of 4K+ screens being used in studios nowadays. Of course I don't have any numbers but it's certainly not so much of an "edge case" anymore.

Of course, joking aside, edge case doesn't mean your experience should be considered less important than anyone else. I was just thinking in terms of the most features for the most people, at least on the first release, and 4k monitors are still the minority. I think 4k is becoming increasingly popular, but because of the tiny text thing you highlighted and Alan also spoke to, I'm not sure all 4/5k owners are actually running at full resolution.

I use a 4k screen and I don't have an issue with Rig Manager.

G, are you running yours at full 3840 x 2160 (-ish) resolution, or do you run at 1920x1080? If you do run at full res and your RM listing text is as tiny as Martin's then I agree with Alan - you have exceptionally good eyes! And as Alan mentioned, some of us haven't been 20 for quite some time now. :)

Regarding software development: I don't think this would take a "complete rewrite" and 6 months to 1 year. The software backend can certainly remain, only the frontend (UI) needs to change. Yes, it's a little bit of work but it's not rocket science either. It just requires the will to improve the software so it can adapt to pretty much all use cases.

Naturally I don't know how long it would take to do since I don't work on their code. That said, in most software it's not the back end that's a PITA. It's all the fiddly UI stuff. Writing a character mode DOS app back in the day, the UI was trivial and it was all about the back end. In Mac / Windows, writing the user interface is often the most time consuming thing in the entire app. It's easier if you're writing websites as it's based on the simplistic model of html. For native programs, however, you're writing to the Windows / MacOS api calls, and it's never as straightforward is you'd think. It may not require a degree in rocket engineering design, but by the time you're done and have jumped through 100 hoops, it can sometimes feels that way.

I just checked. Even though I'm running a 2012 iMac it has a 27" 5K Retina display which probably explains why the test is so small ^^But it is still an issue for me as my monitor sits behind an old Mackie 32:8 desk so is 1.2m away from my eyes. At nearly 51 years old I can barely see the Apple logo let alone the text =O

What resolution does that run at? I remember a whole lot of complaints on Cubase forums when the redid the UI that things didn't play nice with Retina displays. I would think if it was 1920 x 1080 that it would be normal size text but very clean due to the high dpi. However, it's running 3840 then couldn't you just change the res to 1920? I'm among the Mac Ignorant so I don't really know how that world works.