Posts by Chris Duncan

Definately much more amp in the room-sound compared to Atomic CLR which i have next to Red Sound.

My question would be coming from the opposite direction. I actually went FRFR after first trying the power amp, monitor cab off, into my Marshall 4x12. It sounded good, but I liked the additional detail from my studio monitors, and so got an FRFR.

From following this thread, if the appeal of the Celestion F12-X200 is "sounds more amp in the room (AIR) than an FRFR," I wonder how it would in turn compare with my powered head into the 4x12, which certainly feels more AIR.

Almost seems like trying to split hairs between the full detail FRFR experience and the punchy, standing in front of a Marshall on 20 vibe.

If you are in browser mode Chris, just press system and go to page 13.

Thanks, man! Don't know how I missed that in the manual. Clearly my reading skills need some work (or perhaps I should just drink less coffee). :)

While direct PCs for rigs are limited to 128, it's still a very handy option to have for those times when I don't want to use performances. I somehow had it in my head that performance slots were the only things that would respond to PCs, so I appreciate the info.

Since I have the Kemper remote as well, my brain has been in performance mode, and I like how easy it is to set them up, but I also enjoy having options.

When calling the same rig with CC one after the other, morph is switched on or off.

I'm not in the studio at the moment so I have a question about this. Assuming I'm staying on the same performance, if I call:

CC 50

CC 51

CC 50

Does the second call to CC 50 invoke Morph even though the previous CC was 51?

Or does it only invoke Morph if you do it like this:

CC 51

CC 50

CC 50

i.e. two in a row with the same value?

I’ve spent too much time Programming it for all the songs to get it just right, and going in to check each parameter of each setting will be too much to do. Go bold or don’t go, right?

Regardless of how much work it took me to get back to a stable production release, trust a live gig to a beta???

In the immortal words of Rosebud, the beloved Basselope of Bloom County, "I'd rather be dragged across carpet tacks and dipped in rubbing alcohol." :)

Because the sound that came out of my monitors would kill all the people

Actually, that's not a bug. It's the standard Beta Emergency Response System Warning that many companies employ so that you realize you're playing with a loaded gun while staring directly into the barrel. :)

I often throw ideas out instantly as I think of them

When I do that, my friends mumble something about "poor impulse control" and just shove another beer in front of me. :)

Hoping that it's just a beta-bug after all.

You probably already know this, but after running a beta and doing stuff with it, all (and I do mean all) of your data is suspect afterwards, even if you uninstall the beta and reinstall a production release. That would explain why even after going to the production version, Bad Things still happened.

I tell my testers this all the time - don't get attached to any data you enter while we're testing a new release. Because if when I screw something up, I may well have to delete all that data in the next build because it caused system corruption.

That's why he gave you the best possible advice. Do a clean install of the production OS. Run a factory reset to wipe out all of the data that was there after the beta and reset it to a known good state. It's probably frustrating to lose any work you did (always a risk with betas), but it's worth it in the long run. From that point forward, you should be able to work with confidence, but until you do both of those steps, all bets are off. It's just the nature of software development.

I'm pretty sure once you've reinstalled and reset the system that you'll enjoy the same stability as everyone else.

But to be clear, this concerns me deeply..

It makes me really doubt this product.

Since we've interacted quite a bit at this point, I trust you'll take the following in the positive sense intended. :)

This is more philosophical than technical, but from some of the posts I've seen in this and other threads your default seems to be assuming the worst. We're each wired differently and believe me, I have my own defaults to work through. That said, people who expect the worst always seem to find it. Self fulfilling prophecies, and all that.

Of course, we're talking about technology and doing it on an Internet forum, so what could possibly go wrong? I've had lots of frustrating experiences with flaky tech, crappy company support, snippy and often downright rude people on what's supposed to be a given company's support forums, you name it. After enough of that sort of thing, half the time I show up someplace new expecting trouble and geared up for a fight before it even happens.

I mention this only to point out that this is a very, very strange place as Internet forums go, and Kemper as a company is equally unusual. No tech is immune to problems, but this is some of the best built stuff I've seen (and I sling code for a living). And the forum took some getting used to. Most places are filled with people who are exceedingly snarky because they're anonymous and can get away with it. Here, people trip over each other to help you. So far I've seen a grand total of one user who was consistently rude and abusive to others. His account indicates that he's been banned. As you've doubtless seen, this is an unusually nice group of people as Internet forums go, both the users and the mods, who are often the guys who help you troubleshoot.

So, you've got brand new gear that you don't fully understand yet (me, too). You're pushing some of the wrong buttons (per Hans' comment that the logs show you actually downloaded the beta yourself, which you probably didn't realize) and Bad Things happen as a result. I encourage you to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, even if it goes against your personal wiring (it certainly did with me). I'm not saying that Kemper gear is 100% perfect, but it's really solid stuff. If you get unexpected results, chances are good that you just need help figuring out which button to push (or not push).

Now chill out and go play guitar. :)

I went out and bought a Morgan because I loved the profile so much,, never heard of that amp before kemper,,Amp Makes should thank Mr Kempoer for bringing their brand to the masses,,

That highlights the fundamental difference between the Kemper and an actual amp. With Kemper profiles, you get a snapshot of one specific setting of the amp / cab / mic / placement. With the amp, you get every position of every knob, i.e. unlimited possibilities.

I'd never heard Friedmans (or many other great amps) before the Kemper. And after hearing one, I now tell everyone I know, "Holy cow, you've got to hear these Friedmans!" Can't imagine how that could be anything but good for business.

I hope the 625 available Performance Slots will be enough for you ;)

^^ You wouldn't be the first person to suggest I have focus issues.

Hey- I'm doing this today. I don't use PCs at all - it's all control changes. CC#47+value of performance for the selection, and then 50-54 for the slot selection. It's much 'cleaner' -I don't need to remember what PC+Bank is for what. Much easier.

Thanks, man. That would be my preference. I must have misread the manual in that section as there's a pair of CCs that are "bank up / bank down." I skipped past those and so must have missed 47. That will save me having to break out the abacus to calculate each change.

Also- don't freak out if it *looks* like the Kemper is slow to switch. It seems to prioritize the audio over the UI changes. The switch is fast enough that I'd call it dead-perfect.

Just make the change a little ahead of where you want. Usually a 16th note is enough, depending on tempo.

I noticed the slow UI as well, which doesn't bother me since the audio is all that matters. And yeah, I always set the event to where I want it and then back it up a bit so it's already there before my pick starts scraping across the strings.

Also, if you are using CCs, then the 50-54 numbers will activate morphing on a second press. 8)

Cool! I hadn't even thought about the morphing and would have been going back to the manual to look for that. Thanks!

Once you are using program changes, there is no need to mess around in performance mode and I simply assign a pc to each rig. It often helps me to name the rigs with a number in the name too (04 Lead for example).

I'm not sure I follow. As best I understand, the only place PCs are supported is for the slots in the performances, i.e. there's no way to directly assign a PC to a profile you'd see in Browse mode. Am I missing something? Still pretty new at this.

If you use the same Rigs also live I feel the performance more convinient.

While it's an extra step to set up performances for each song, I agree that it's nice to have things organized and labeled that way.

Today I delved into controlling the Kemper from my computer / Cubase via MIDI in preparation for a potential show band thing (potential as in if I can find a freakin' rhythm section). The idea is to just leave the Kemper at FOH and let MIDI do the work for me.

I remembered the basic math of five PCs per performance, but of course that only gets you into performance 26. Poked around the manual and sure enough, everything needed to get to them all was supported (bank / PC). Plugged some events in on a song I'm testing and not only did it perform as expected, the responsiveness to the PCs is a bit quicker than some other gear I've had over the years.

I don't know why I'm surprised. Maybe because a computer was involved I was just naturally expecting a hassle, but everything worked perfectly. Also very happy with the selection of other CCs, e.g. the pitch one to emulate a whammy bar (which I don't have on my guitars) .

Man, I love this thing. :)

You'll need the mounting brackets for Pedaltrain boards and will have to drill the holes yourself.

Yeah. I guess that's how the pros do it. I just used their double sided Velco.

Now I'll just slink out the back door while no one's looking... :)