Posts by Chris Duncan

I don't think the Kemper Kone has a role in FOH unless it's a small room and you're not going through a PA. In that case it is the FOH.

Yeah, I think small rooms / no PA is one place where it will really shine.

I bought his high gain stuff. It seems to be done well, but they're all absolutely drenched in reverb so to make them suitable for my own taste I need to go through each one and dial it back. I haven't had time to do that yet and am currently in love with some of the Friedman and Bogner stuff from M. Britt. I really need to get back to the TJ stuff, take the time, and clean them up as I think much of it will be very nice once massaged.

I'm curious what effects this cone option will have on the sound via the FOH and the near field monitor I use on stage.

I was wondering about that as well. Is this stuff just to make your monitor sound better on stage, or will it / can it color what's sent to FOH? Ironically, I just went FRFR because I really enjoyed what was coming out of the studio reference monitors and wanted to hear exactly that. So like you, I'm happy with what I have, and if it turns out to benefit me anyway then so much the better.

And I love all the speculation but of course, writing about how a guitar cab sounds is like dancing about architecture. Or something like that. :)

I suppose this quote refers to the topic and proponents of this topic.

Certainly no offense was intended towards anyone here. I just get this sort of thing a lot at work, so it invokes my twitch response. :)

My point overall was that I agree - flexibility in this regard would be great. However, there might be other things people feel are even more important, which would push this particular enhancement towards the back of the line.

I'm guessing that's why it's still not addressed after all this time, because the devs have been working on other things that were deemed a higher priority. That's always the tricky part about developing for a group of people. What's important to one person is less so to someone else, making it hard to please everyone no matter how sincere the desire.

when do you expect it to be released by (or even a beta release).

The single most dreaded question in the entire software development world. There is nothing, and I mean nothing in the industry that's as difficult as accurately predicting a software release date.

The problem with bugs is that you don't know when they're going to show up, how many friends they'll invite along or how many hours / days / weeks it will take to figure out the problem and solve it. We never write code that intentionally includes bugs, so they're always unexpected, by definition. And one bizarre, hard to reproduce issue can derail a delivery date all on its own. Trust me. I've had a ringside seat.

Personally, I prefer Michelangelo's response when the Pope kept giving him a hard time about the completion date of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. :)

Pope: "When are you going to be finished with this thing?"

Michelangelo: "When it's done."

While it probably gets less attention due to the editor and cabs, I really liked what I saw in the hardware UI on the new preset selection. It's the one area of the current model that seems like a lot of work to navigate. Very straightforward well designed.

I'm also enthusiastic about the fact that they'll be selling the speaker itself, without a cab. I already have a couple of one 12 cabs with V30s in them that are pretty much that exact same dimension, so I can just drop one in there. It's black, not green, but I think I can live with that.

Third quarter for the cab, summer-ish for the editor, and I suspect the current reverb beta will move to production in a month or two. So, looks like new toys every few months this year.

Since most of the aforementioned is free, I'm looking forward to spending money on a speaker. Gotta keep the people you like in business.

When i try export All Rigs, my Rig Manager no responce and i don't find solution how to do this. This is really imposible. Team Kemper please optimise your software or fix anything in Rig Manager for stable work

Wow, over 100,000 rigs in your library. 8|

While the problem might be trying to download from Rig Exchange, I'm willing to bet that it's more about 100,000 rigs in your library. While some folks may indeed have a high number of profiles, 100,000 is probably a significantly higher number than the average.

To put it in context, if you wanted to preview each of your profiles, and only spent 30 seconds on each one, it would take you 34.7 days to accomplish this, working nonstop, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Software is typically optimized for the most common use cases. I do database work for a living, and optimizing tables and indexes in Sql Server is a different level of effort for tables with millions of rows than it is for tables with only a few thousand. Consequently, I spend more time optimizing the high volume tables and less on the lower ones. However, that means if someone suddenly dumps millions of records into a table that normally only has a few thousand, the query performance is going to suffer since it wasn't designed for that scenario.

Of course, this is all conceptual stuff that doesn't help you. I mention it only so that you understand that what you're seeing is not the typical Kemper experience most of us have. While we all have our pet enhancements that we want, overall Rig Manager is quite stable. The Kemper folks also take quality very seriously.

If you want to export your rigs, I would suggest an alternative approach, as outlined in the thread below. While it's possible that the Kemper guys wrote Rig Manager with the expectation of handling six figure profile counts, I'm guessing that's not the case, so a file system based solution may be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

How to Transfer RM Library to New Computer?

On stage the left switch is easier to access than the right one.

Regardless of which side of the road you drive on, I like the fact that you guys think of such things. That would have been particularly handy in the 80s, when by the end of the night it was often a challenge to find anything less obvious than a mic stand.

are you controlling your computer on stage with your feet?

I spend my days as a software developer. Now you've got me wondering if there would be an advantage to buying a remote for my office. ^^

On a more serious note, I think options are great. That said, people ask for lots and lots of stuff here (or from any manufacturer) and there are only so many developers to go around.

In my day gig, the guy who drives requirements for the software is constantly telling me, "We need the xyz feature. This is important, we need it now!" Great guy, but no impulse control. Everything is important, and always needed now.

I'm happy to give the users what they want. That's what I get paid for. However, my response to this is usually to point him to our ever growing "future development" list (that typically has 100 other "must have it right now" features from him), and ask which ones he wants me to ignore so that I can do this one now. That usually calms him down. :)

If I want a certain gain level on a profile, is it better to load a lower gain profile and turn up the gain, or load a higher gain profile and reduce the gain?

Or does it even matter? :)

Honestly, with the wealth of options available (13,000 free ones on Rig Exchange, plus the free stuff guys post on their Dropbox accounts, before you even get into the commercial stuff), I just pick a different profile and play guitar. :)

Why the hell not, one more.8)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Above and beyond the great guitar, the drum part is also lively. Are you using MIDI packs for your drum fills? I currently have EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer but I think I'd have to actually write the parts by hand to get something like that.

I outlined the same procedure here for Mac a few years ago, Chris.

Does backup / restore get 100% of what's in the folder, or are there some things that would be omitted if you restored to a fresh new machine?

My initial motivation was to include the folder in my nightly backups and just tend to think that way, but if backups get it all then it's less computer-fiddly-stuff (that's a technical term) for those who don't enjoy such things.

First, let me just say that I don't know what's preserved in a backup / restore but if it covers everything, that would probably be the easiest way.

They did this to make life easy for those who spend more time with guitars than computers. I just happen to make a living as a programmer and I wanted to know where the data was stored so I could include it in my nightly backups.

So, if for whatever reason backup / restore doesn't cover everything, in Windows there will be a folder named RigManager in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps, where UserName is the name you login to Windows with. This is where your Rig Manager data is stored.

This is an example in Windows 7. I don't have a Windows 10 box so there may be a minor difference, but I believe they kept this structure. If not let me know and I'll research it.

So, here's how to do it manually:

1. On the old computer, copy the RigManager folder to a USB drive
    2. On the new computer, first install Rig Manager
    3. After Rig Manager is installed, close it and then navigate to the folder mentioned above
    4. Rename your current RigManager folder to RigManagerOriginalInstall just in case (with technology, paranoia is your friend)
    5. Copy your RigManager folder from the USB drive to the folder on your new computer.
    6. You will now see two folders, RigManagerOriginalInstall and RigManager so if something goes south you can delete the one you copied, rename RigManagerOriginalInstall back to RigManager and Rig Manager will be back to the installation defaults.
    7. Start Rig Manager
    8. You should see the exact same thing that you see on your old computer in terms of content, user created folders, etc.

Hope this helps!