Posts by Chris Duncan

I want a cupholder that clamps onto the side button. ?

For many years, Corvette owners complained about the fact that there was only one cupholder (because, you know, real drivers don't fool with drinks so it's only for the passenger). After decades of Vette design, this was finally addressed in the most recent version that has two, count 'em, two, cupholders.

I mention this to underscore the importance of @Finally's request. :)

I think I might just get one...haha. Im thinking powered and a full range 2x12, and sell the rest of my crap. The only reason Im holding myself back is my experience in the digital realm from back in the day, namely the old school Line 6 pod xt pro. I didnt like that one at all really...Granted, technology has come A LONG since Im sure.

I've been through a number of Line 6 adventures and always kept going back to Marshall / Fender / Vox and pedals. For what it's worth, I bought a Kemper a month or so ago. A week later I sold every amp I owned.

I really don't enjoy tweaking and I'm not very good at it. An advantage of the Kemper is that a profile is a snapshot after someone has already dialed in a killer tone. The end result is often much better than what I heard though my tube amps. There's still a range of tweaks you can make but I rarely need to.

I bought a powered head because I didn't sell my speaker cabs. For a while I ran it through my 1960a 4x12 (monitor cab off) and it sounded great. However, I was losing some of what I heard through the main outs going to the studio reference monitors, so I bought an FRFR. I ended up buying a powered one (DXR-10) because size is a factor with my car but I'm still glad I got the powered head, as now I have unlimited options. The DXR-10 at 105db will make the hair on your arms stand up.

As for price, between a powered head and the remote I dropped around $3000. I thought that was a helluva lot of money until I started looking at the price of amps out there, with a lot of heads in the $2000 - $4000 range. For the price of one of them, I now have a huge collection of vintage Marshalls, Fenders and Voxes as well as Bogners, Engls, Friedmans and a host of others. All available at the push of a button.

Of course, none of this matters if the sound is crap, and we've both been through those experiences. After living with the Kemper for a month or so, both in the studio, through guitar cabs and FRFRs, I have absolutely zero regrets about selling my amps. My guitar has never sounded this good. Yeah, it took some time, but this digital stuff is finally able to stand side by side with the real thing.

407 profiles total right now. I'll try to keep the profile number lower, there is some I could delete

Everyone's usage varies, but I find that Rig Manager helps in a number of ways. I have two primary scenarios, studio use and playing with cover band guys. I also have something ridiculous like 1500 profiles or so (looking at you, Black Friday).

I find that keeping a large number on the unit itself makes browsing tedious in the extreme. However, there's no point having the horses if you don't ride them (or at least throw a saddle on from time to time), so I tend to do all of my sound auditioning sitting in the studio in front of Rig Manager, with auto load set on. Play a little, down arrow to the next interesting thing, play a little more.

On my Kemper, I have only the profiles that I'm actually using at the moment. This includes performances tweaked for specific songs, and some go to gain / clean sounds that I know I always enjoy. Since there's not much on the unit, and the ones that are there are the ones I know I like, there's only a small collection to browse through. This makes everything quick and easy to find.

Also, I have a few folders set up in RM to make exploration more intuitive for me. I only have commercial profiles from three vendors at the moment, plus what ships with the Kemper. So, one folder is by vendor, grouped beneath that by the various pack names.

However, sometimes I know I want to specifically reach for a Friedman, a Fender, a Vox, etc. So, I have another top level folder called Amps, and subfolders with the amp manufacturer (i.e. Friedmans amps of all types like BE, Taco, etc. under the single Friedman folder), regardless of vendor. I then copied amps from the factory presets and vendor packs into the appropriate amp folders. Since this is only in RM, I'm not concerned about the space taken by duplicate profiles. It's more important for me to be able to quickly find what I'm looking for.

Of course, if there's a reason you're not able to run Rig Manager this approach isn't relevant for your needs. However, if you can connect a computer / RM to your Kemper, it opens up a world of possibilities, and you don't have to make decisions about deleting stuff. Quite the contrary, as my amp folder approach illustrates - you can have duplicates for convenience and there's no down side.

1 star ratings suck :P

Yeah, life on the Internet, man. :)

This community is really an oddity in the animal kingdom. I've never seen a forum on the web with such an overwhelmingly positive vibe, which can easily lull you into a false sense of security. The percentage of trolls is so small it's hard to even measure, but I suppose they do still exist.

Back in my book writing days my fellow authors and I were always amazed to see a total five star rating on anyone's stuff. Seems like human nature is such that if there are 1000 five star reviews, someone feels compelled to give it one star because, you know, somebody should take them down a notch, just because, right?

Because people can be anonymous on the web and do rude things without facing consequences, they behave in a way that they'd never consider if they were actually standing in front of you. I've always used my real name on the net as a way of reminding me to hold myself to the same standards online that I would expect in person. Of course, it's been pointed out that I'm also an oddity in the animal kingdom. :)

Oh, I'm sure there's no problem with the download given that Dan has been a respected vendor for a long time. I probably just didn't phrase my question very well, which was more about Rig Exchange than this particular profile.

I can sit with my guitar in my lap, bring up Rig Manager, click on the Rig Exchange folder and then just scroll down from profile to profile auditioning them, as easy as that, because RE is tightly integrated with RM, which is in turn tightly integrated with the Kemper itself. And yet, even though RE is so easy to use and was designed for exactly this, it's not the first time I've seen people put profiles up on a file sharing service instead of uploading to the exchange. That makes me think I must be missing something.

So, my question is really what's wrong with Rig Exchange that makes people not want to use it?

Cool of you to offer stuff like this, thanks.

In general, I tend to avoid downloading from file sharing servers due to the potential for malware, etc. Plus, to audition the tones it requires couple of steps to get it into the Kemper.

In cases like this where you're not charging for packs, I was wondering why you would post file links rather than putting them on Rig Exchange, since it seems like it was designed for this sort of thing and ease of auditioning.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I'm new here and still trying to get a handle on how things work.

I don't think the development over there is that much affected by marketing - user feedback, yes, definitely, but marketing, not much.

If development wasn't affected by marketing they would have gone out of business years ago. As much as I pick on the sales guys, that's where the money for salaries and R&D comes from.

instead of writing useless mobile apps and adding 4k rez touch displays with youtube built in.

If they were affected by marketing then we would have twenty different versions of the profiler by now. 8)

My guess is that unlike most corporations, the marketing guys are all guitarists who actually use the product. :huh: An oddity in the animal kingdom, to be sure! :)

Restore the ability to edit posts.

I just had to do the double post thing on Nicky's wall because my stupid fingers decided to hit the Do It button before I was done, so editing would be nice.

Regarding the forum overall I'm obviously late to the party and I never saw the old one, so I can't speak to better / worse. I will say that this is one of the nicer forums I've seen. I like a lot of the design features and once I figured out which button did what find it pretty easy to navigate.

so t

In reading a few of the comments on the first page of this thread I noticed some asking for mobile apps. The forum is done in what's known in the biz as "responsive design" meaning it automatically alters the layout based on the size of the display so that it can optimize itself for either mobile or desktop. I personally prefer this to native mobile apps and do all my websites, both personal and at work (I'm a software developer by trade) in this manner.

So, other than the edit post thing, I just wanted to add a "well done, guys!" as I think this is a really nice bit of work.

They have plenty of top end, though I thought they could be a bit fuller in the low end personally

I'm fairly new to this and still learning so I'm probably mentioning the obvious, but I ran into a video today on the cab section low shift to emulate a larger cab feel. I just moved from a 1960a 4x12 to a DXR-10 and was missing the low end resonance thump (I play classic rock stuff). I found that dropping the low shift to around -1.0 gave me a bit of the bottom oomph I felt the 10" Yamaha was missing.

Is this something that's relevant to the low end characteristics you're talking about?

yeah, I thought no other profiler could equal or top M. Britt, but I have to admit, right now, I am playing only Tone Junkie Profiles.

I have all of the M. Britt and just the dual amp stuff and Friedman from Tone Junkie. They strike me as having different strengths.

Most of the M. Britt profiles, even on the clean side, have a bit of hair on them. And for a lot of stuff, that's perfect. Tone Junkie seems to specialize in more of the cleaner, chimier stuff. I've seen videos with lots of great solo sounds, but I reach for their profiles when I'm looking for something light, clean and pretty. Very much prefer M. Britt's Friedman profile for rock, but that's an area that he specializes in. So, two great profilers, with two very different strengths. I'm glad I have both.

Also have some high gain Top Jimi stuff and I'm trying very hard to love it, but keep reaching for the M. Britt profiles.

You will not make many new friends if you play this loud in an apartment every day. :D

Depends on what kind of people your neighbors are. :)

Fortunately, I built a house and studio in the suburban country north of Atlanta and the outside world is generally protected by four inches of concrete, although the local deer and coyotes couldn't be less impressed.

But I'm sure 80dB would still be too little to make the PA speaker show its full potential.

My level when mixing in the control room is around 85db to avoid ear fatigue, which isn't loud at all. Occasionally I'll turn it up to maybe 95 to feel how it thumps, but you can't do that for very long and retain perspective. Of course, a live band is a different thing, particularly with a live drummer, so that creates a different reality.

One of the reasons I asked is that I just got a Yamaha DXR-10. I'd been running through a 1960a 4x12 with the stock V30s, but those speakers are also 20 years old and thus broken in where the Yamaha is brand new. Because I have the luxury of playing loud, I've been running the Yamaha at around 105 today as I'm looking at a potential band tomorrow and want to get used to it at volume. I thought I noticed that it started feeling a bit crisper and more defined at this level versus a lower volume that I can easily talk over, but I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things since it's a new piece of gear.

until around 115-120dB. More than that seriously harms and can't be considered pleasant anyway.

Personally, I'm hoping for a band where I can just point the Kemper to FOH and run IEMs. I love rock and roll, but I'm not suicidal. :)