Posts by Chris Duncan

Hey, Timo.

Actually, I appreciate the geek speak (I sling MS code for a living). My default had been to do a controlled shutdown with the chickenhead as I just assumed there was stuff happening in the shutdown process, so I'll slap a UPS on this puppy and continue to use the knob for power up / down.

That said, with the power amp connected to my Marshall 4x12 and master out on about -18, I consistently experience a couple of moderate clicks / pops when doing a normal shutdown. It doesn't sound speaker threatening, and it's not like my tube amps don't behave this way, but I thought I'd ask - is that normal behavior?

Thanks for filling me in on this stuff. And if I ever happen to be on your side of the pond maybe I can buy your devs a beer or two - very nicely done, man.

Hope this is the right forum for a question like this...

I purchased the Kemper bag for my toaster. I was looking at it tonight, and the four inner lining walls all have zippers. Except...

All four zippers are backwards, i.e. the tongue that you'd pull is hidden inside.

Is this a defective bag or is this by design? if the latter, could someone let me know what purpose it serves to hide the zipper tongues? Perhaps I just need more coffee but I'm not getting it.

Picture of one of the rogue zippers attached.

I'm a couple of days into my powered toaster. After drooling over tones this weekend, tonight's adventure was getting reamping set up.

Wow.

Incredibly painless configuration. Did a quick DI track, pointed it back at the amp, brought up Rig Manager with auto preview on and pressed play on Cubase. Profiles load extremely fast, making auditioning tones almost effortless as I scroll up and down the list, sorted by gain to the appropriate region.

I know people have been doing reamping with VST plugins for ages, but I could never warm up to those tones. However, scrolling around in RM feels exactly like you're just scrolling through patches in a plugin, other than the sound coming out of the speakers.

I'm so used to the hassles of patching cables around, screwing with mic placement, tweaking amp knobs, running back and forth between the live room and the control room, etc. that this almost feels like cheating. Don't tell the real engineers what I"m up to. I wouldn't want to get excommunicated.

Just got my powered head and was going to profile my amps (Marshall, Fender, Vox, etc.). After auditioning a lot of tones, I decided to just sell them without profiling them first.

My criteria may be different than yours. In my case, I'm not trying to reproduce authentic tones of a specific era or amp. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe that I do clean and slight breakup stuff on. If I find sounds in Rig Manager that give me those types of sounds (and there are tons), I'm happy - even if the amp and speakers used have nothing to do with Fender Blues Deluxe. I'm essentially auditioning with my eyes closed.

If you have particular sounds you get out of your amp, and you can't find them anywhere else, the profiling process seems very straightforward. If there are already lots of profiles that get what you're looking for, then it just comes down to whether or not you enjoy fiddling around with things like profiling.

And of course, you can never have too many 57s. :)

I just got my powered head this weekend. I had been listening to demos of the new Fractal III, which sounds outstanding, and the equally impressive Kemper demos. Honestly, in terms of quality, at least for the demos I heard, you could hold your head high with either. I'm a small time bar guy and sometimes I have to do it old school with a head and cab, no PA feed, so the powered head was a useful option. However, main outs in the studio sound every bit as good.

For me, Kemper versus Fractal was to an extent about not enjoying the modeling process. While it's embarrassing to admit amongst my six-stringed brethren, I have never been talented with dialing in tones. I can twist knobs all day and certainly get workable stuff. Then I listen to someone else's tone and just want to sell all my gear. The endless rabbit hole of wiggling mice and twiddling knobs just isn't that much fun for me. Some guys dig it. I'm not that guy. I just want to play guitar.

And this is the cool part about the Kemper that I didn't see coming. I planned on selling my Marshall, Fender, a couple of Voxes, etc. after buying the Kemper, but I was going to wait until I could model them. Then I looked at Rig Exchange. 13,000 profiles. Thirteen. Thousand. Not counting the few hundred that ship with the amp, which already scream. All of my amps are garden variety, e.g. JCM 900, Fender Blues Deluxe, etc. People who are really into tones have profiled this sort of thing all over the place, and doubtless better than I would have done. After listening to a lot of them, I just plugged into the Kemper and put the amps on Craigslist.

It's not just the wealth of different amp profiles available that made me think. Unlike building a tone from scratch through modeling (which I find tedious), each profile is a snapshot of a killer tone that someone better than me has dialed into their killer amp - before pressing the profile button. Sure, I'll occasionally season to taste, but there are lots of guys here who have poured blood, sweat and tubes into some outstanding sounds, getting exactly the end result that I wanted in the first place. That did it for me.

And the high gain sounds? Power amp out into a Marshal 4x12 or studio monitors from the main outs, either way it sounds like tubes melting on your speaker cabinet. I'd been partial to the 5150 stuff and had never played Engls, Diezels, etc. It's like being a kid in a candy store. The hardest part is picking the ones I like the most.

1. I assume the term "amp in the room" means the vibrations felt by volume and bass, especially with a tube amp. I am currently using a Line6 Spider 75 watt. When I turn it up, I can still feel the volume, although less than a tube amp, but is it even less of a feel with the KPA?

I just plugged in to my new powered head today so I wouldn't presume to speak to most of your questions. That said, I have a couple of observations that you might find useful.

I'm in a situation where everyone is on IEMs. Previously, I had a Voodu Valve and Line 6 HD and found that having the guitars in my ears alone (no guitar speakers) was problematic for a couple of reasons. First, there's no speaker for the guitar pickup to interact with and second, I can't feel the "thump" (I'm a rock guy). I put a single 12 cabinet under the stage and brought up the volume just enough to address those issues and let the "real" sound go to the PA. That took care of my "feel" issues.

How much of the volume you feel is less about modeled versus tube and more about moving air / decibels and equalization. For example, my modest little EVH III LBX (15 watt) has a resonance knob on the back to get more of that low end thump, which is often what I want to feel. Playing with your EQ on the low end might yield similar satisfactory effects.

The other thing I noticed after a couple of hours playing is that I need to let go of my geek attachments to specs and technicalities. The audience doesn't care if I'm going through an early 70s Marshall with an off axis 57 pointed at Greenbacks. They just care if it sounds good. I respect that "authenticity" is an important issue for some folks, but even the most casual browsing of factory profiles reveals a ton of incredibly good sounds. The high gain ones sound like tubes melting on top of my speaker cabinets, and plugged into my Marshall 4x12 they feel every bit as real as any tube amp I've ever played (be sure to disable cabinet simulation on the monitor out).

For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend not worrying about "what's on the label" / "model versus tube" and just plugging in. I've been screwing around with modeling stuff for ages and I've never heard anything like this in my life.

Hey, guys.

Brand new owner of a powered head. First, allow me to state the terribly obvious - wow. I've been fooling with digital amps since the early Line 6 days but could never warm up to one. An hour after plugging in I listed every amp I own for sale on Craigslist. I sling code for a living, so a most deferential tip of the hat to my German counterparts. Very nicely done, both the amp and the Windows Rig Exchange software.

Regarding my question, I know that anything even remotely digital should be on a UPS (battery backup), and one's on the way. That said, if for whatever reason the Kemper loses power without being properly shut down, is there a risk of data corruption, e.g. like yanking a USB drive from a computer without ejecting it?

Just making sure I know all the risk factors so I can practice safe guitaring.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris