Posts by Ruefus

I respect your viewpoint, but I do it on every gig. Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but it does work for me.

👍 Horses for courses.

It’s amazing how we’ll all come up with what works for ourselves…..but often turn around and shun someone for using a $30 pedal or choosing the ‘wrong’ digital amp.

Hypocrisy is an interesting thing. 🙄

(No - this is not directed at any one person. Just an observation. I’ll go back to tilting at windmills.)

Exactly!

Its called a Volume Potentiometer not an On/Off switch as many people seem to believe.

While I agree, not everyone wants to (or uses a sound that) does well with the pot turned down.

With a Strat or Tele - it’s super easy, though.

It is especially difficult with Gibson style controls (2 volume, 2 tone, no master). If you mix both pickups (which I do frequently) - turning down ain’t gonna work. 😁

Collectively, those people need to get out more…maybe find a nice girl or guy to talk to. Live a little, y’know?

FWIW - All of Lego’s patents expired in the early 2000’s. They fought to extend them and lost.

This doesn’t seem to have affected them a whole lot,

Reverse engineering a plastic brick is a whole lot easier than figuring out Profiling.

I’ve recently (for the last 18 months or so) been using bulk sets from juststrings.com. I’ve used EB’s, DR and GHS in the past.

All-in cost (tax, shipping …everything accounted for) per set:

$3.19

I cannot tell a difference between these and the brand names. I A/B’d these against a set of Slinky’s and couldn’t hear (or feel) a difference. Except my wallet was heavier.

12 strings per gauge, and you can pick whatever combination of sizes you want.

I’m a fan.

Becuase you can have all the amps in the world many times over compared to a hw amp?

Meh. Different tools, different uses.

I find that for me, if I don’t at least look around to see and try what’s out there I’ll stagnate and start thinking “this is as good as it ever gets…”.

Which may currently be true at the time. But I always try stuff to see if I bond with something else.

Besides - sometimes you just want to have something else to mess with.

I would like to try one in a music shop and go home and keep on playing on my kemper and be satisfied. Oh how hard it is for most people to be satisfied and say I have all I need. I say as Frank Zappa: shut up n' play yer guitar. I rather come up with a song than spending time chasing the next thing. It doesn't make me more happier.

This is the misconception. I’m not looking for this to ‘beat’ or replace my KPA. That’s a loser’s game.

The form factor of the Amp X is quite appealing, and I’ve always been curious about BluGuitar’s stuff. This unit intrigues me.

One guitar is rarely (if ever) enough. Or amp, or cab or overdrive or……so why would one Profiler/Digital modeler/Analog amp sim unit be any different?

Fair enough.

But I don’t see anyone marketing this a a ‘real-er’ thing. The amp tech isn’t even new (2014)

I see another choice/option/evolution of a pre-existing line of products. BluGuitar wasn’t compelling for me to check out until Amp X became a (near) reality.

Are we serious;

I disagree with the majority of your categorizations. It’s stereotyping by another name.

Every category of overdrive pedal has been done…repeatedly. Yet new ones show up, people buy them and are happy.

So yes, we’re serious.

There is no doubt this amp x will be great.

'Problem I see..to late..to expensive..

The market will obviously dictate, but if the unit is halfway decent - which it will be - it will find an audience for certain.

All-analog amp circuitry will attract some people. The all-in-one (including a 100 watt amp) in a unit significantly smaller than an (unpowered) Stage - for similar money - will get people’s attention. It sure got mine and I love my KPA.

I'll take a second look in 5-10 years if and when it catches up to Kemper, and when someone is able to create more than the 3 tones shown on youtube.

Something else you’re either ignoring or don’t know.

The amp tech being used has been available (and been developed) since 2014. A year longer than the Helix. So, this isn’t some unproven vaporware being hyped to the moon before release, from a company that’s never done it before. That was the Quad Cortex.

If I sound like a jerk, I don't mean to. But your attitude is a lot like a garden variety gear snob. Where nothing else could possibly be good enough for you, you’ve found nirvana and dismiss whatever doesn’t fit.

A quality, fully programmable, all-in-one, with a 100 watt power amp built in….in a footprint nearly a third smaller than a Stage? For roughly the same money as a Stage!?!? Yes please!!

I absolutely love my KPA - but hope the Amp X is good.

Looks more like a fancy studio plugin tool than gigable hardware. Not impressed.

The *exact* same thing was likely said about the Kemper in 2011. When it shipped as a head-only and no remote. People crapped all over it then, too.

This is far more gig-worthy out of the box than the KPA was when first released. How do you see a ‘studio-only’ device given its floorboard format?

That video vindicates me when I said that my $29 pedal Klon clone sounded great to me, and I got railed on various forums.

This is why I tend to stay away from nearly every forum. Musicians - and guitar players in particular - are hypocrites.

“Music is about free expression. Follow your heart!!”

But if you get your sound outside a certain norm (like a 30 dollar pedal) the reactions is often:

“You heathen!! NOT LIKE THAT!! There are rules!! Be gone!!”

Great! I will get you a fancy sparkling water or something to your liking, fair enough?

Why elaborate? So you don't look like an idiot thinking that a trade show is the only way to do business in the modern world. As long as the sheep are willing to buy floor space, stop production for a week and spring for exorbitant and unnecessary costs to follow the herd of hype there will always be a market for NAMM or any other similar event. I am simply saying there are other ways of doing business that cost less and are just as effective, if not more so, than a trade show. Coming from a multi generational family with ties to businesses that align with the initial "trade show" industry mindset I have evolved and been able to see it for what it is now a days which is simply a glorified party and place to collect and hand out business cards, see old friends and indulge in whatever one wishes. Ask yourself, if it was so vital, wouldn't all the big guns be there? Clearly your unexplained views solidify and outweigh anything I have said because there is only one way to achieve a thing in business and even life for that matter.

Wonderful bait, but for someone else. As for looking like an idiot….that’s certainly one of us.

So…

I bow to your superior intellect in the hopes you’ll step off your soapbox and go away. You win. Yours is superior….whatever.

Can we move on? Or is that another 200+ word opinion/essay as to why not?