Posts by Ruefus

But it doesn't work reliably with your supplied cable which is within your own specs. Seems mighty strange that I can buy a $20 POE injector and run it down 100 metres?

Then something else isn’t right.

For several years I’ve been using the stock cable, a 15 footer I made myself and a random 6 foot from an old router. All used extensively and in various situations.

I’ve never experienced a reliability problem.

It's not dodgy. It's not designed to push long cable runs. The longer the run, the more capacitance. The more capacitance - the more current (amperage) needed. At 45 feet, you're well beyond what the KPA was designed to deliver on its own.

Think of it like using a buffer in a pedalboard. It isn't that the pedals suck or that the board is improperly designed - its physics.

While not a big deal, a white powered version would require a model-specific backplate. They'd never slap on a white front with a black back. So, new part number.

Adding another SKU involves more than just parts. Inventory maintenance, distribution and most of all - people wanting them. That last one is why I think white has only ever appeared on the Toaster. White was the original color available. That I know of, it has never been available for the Rack, either. I'd be surprised if the ratio of black to white sold was less than 10 to 1. I'd guess the sale of unpowered to powered is similar.

So - a color bought in comparatively low numbers added to a unit also sold in lower numbers. Makes sense to me why they don't offer it. It's pretty much the definition of niche.

Wait a sec….Sweetwater does not pay shipping on returns. Matter of fact, if you return an item ‘just because’ that had free shipping, they deduct the outbound cost from your return amount.

From the Sweetwater return policy:

If you are not satisfied with any new product, for any reason, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price or an in-house credit, or you may exchange for another product within a fair amount of time from the shipping date (usually 30 days). If your purchase was eligible for free shipping, the shipping cost will be deducted from your credit or refund.

Nowhere does it say they’ll pay the return charges on non-defective items.

Even if defective- it’s nowhere close to a given.

You’d have paid shipping no matter who you bought it from.

Clean Sense is definitely for balancing Clean Rigs to Dirty Rigs on a Global Level. Distortion Sense is for balancing guitars.

I respectfully disagree. The sentence before your quote in the manual is crucial.

No mention of balancing rig vs rig.

Also, the input section tutorial on the Kemper site says nothing about rig to rig balance. It does state that the input section can be used to optimize the Profiler for specific guitars.

Different types of guitars produce different output levels depending on their pickups and string gauge: for example, humbucker pickups generate higher voltages compared to single coils, and active guitars generate even hotter signal levels.

Clean (and distortion) sens isn’t for balancing rigs to other rigs.

It’s for balancing the *same* rig against different guitars with varying outputs.

Rig volume is what you want to balance rig to rig.

Keep in mind - the Kone and Kabinet are meant for monitoring and give you a true amp-in-the-room sound using the imprints. You can use the imprints with the Laney and might even like the results. But they will not be what Kemper intended.

Without the imprints, the Laney will give you a mic'd cabinet sound.

The Kone can certainly work as a primary source. You will get poor results if you try to close-mic a Kone (which is stated in the manual).

With a 200 watt amp, it will outrun the Mustang III with zero issues. That's from personal experience. I hav a Kabinet, as well as V1 and V2 Mustang III amps.

I play with a loud drummer and I have zero issues with keeping up. Never even a consideration.

You can also just raise the rig volume.

Just raising the volume of a rig doesn’t always make it poke out of a mix. It can often lack definition. Yes, everything is louder. And that’s the problem…..you get loud…..mud.

The lead booster and methods that do similar things can sound quite awful by themselves.

In a live mix, they can work like a warm knife through butter. Without any actual db increase.

Funny feel the opposite :)

I have some Shure se215's and I don't like them much. They are OK but I do think multi driver always sound better for IEM's.

There is no point if you are happy though :)

When I bought them 5 or 6 years ago, the choices were more limited. They’re far more durable than anything I’ve seen. I’ve watched others go through 3 or 4 sets of higher (and lower) end options.

My workflow in building sounds with the KPA translates well to not just my personal mix - but what the audience hears.

Are they the *best* sounding earphones? No. Of course not.

They are fairly flat in response, though and don’t mask issues with emphasized bass or treble. A rather ‘dry’ sound I can translate to FOH pretty doggone well.

Are custom designs worth 3, 4, 5 or even 10 times their cost? Nah. Not for my use, anyway.

I’ve been using the same $99 set of Shure SE215s for 5+ years. As FearAbsolute says, they are very, very durable and work well.

I wouldn’t mind upgrading, but until these fail I see no real point in doing so.

I have yet to see a set of similar-level IEMs get near their durability.

Pedals often incorporate various changes into a single knob. It may say mix, but it’s more likely that some EQ, volume and other adjustments are being made.

Mix isn’t just mix.

That makes sense given there are only three knobs to tweak per algorithm. For the KPA, that’s not necessary. The trade off is complexity.

I believe there is a Memory Man preset you can try. I forget what it’s called, but it’s there.

Beyond that, use the high cut parameter and see what that gets you. Don’t be afraid to be very liberal. Some ‘dirty’ delays I’ve used have the high cut way down to nearly 1k.

Other controls work in conjunction (flutter, grit etc). But high cut is very useful all by itself.

Depends entirely on the music.

If you’re in a Rush/U2/Police vein - you can’t *not* use effects.

If you’re in an AC/DC or early Metallica vein….you can’t really play with effects.

What I cannot stand are players being indiscriminate in slathering mod/delay/verb onto an already awful indistinct distortion sound and pretending that’s ‘good’.

A Peavey Bandit from the 80s with a blown speaker sounds better.