Posts by TheSystem

I added that "This tune is aggressive enough to have more lows." after your reply. If I was listening to the tune in my car (I have 2x12 kicker subs), that is what I would want rather than having to increase my radio's bass EQ.

If you listen to Nickelback's This is How You Remind Me, Photograph, and Someday, etc you will hear what I believe is almost perfect lows for metal. Their mixes are phenomenal.

I will have a listen.

I wonder if Joey Moi (?) produced those. I will listen. People bag on NB but what I have heard (a long time ago) was great production.

Sounds good, but I want more low end (almost like 808 low so my subs really punch). ;) I think it would soften up the mix a lot if you added more.

I prob have some 808 samples but I do not have a Sub but I'll give it a shot for sure.

I decided to use the Reaper feature

auto-stretch at tempo changes

on each Item in the Actions list.

I do not hear any artifacts. Does anyone else hear anything odd? Do the gradual Tempo increase feel ok?

Brian

Right now it jumps between 86 and 92BPM. 92 happens at what I call a Chorus. At the last Chorus around 1:30s it stays at 92 for the remainder.

Maybe I'llt try doing the linear (ramp it up e.g.) thing to make it less noticeable or smaller BPM increase. I have done this on a few tracks but it seems Reaper acts oddly IIRC like editing becomes a challenge. I do not plan to edit the tracks so this shouldn't matter and I know Jamstix (drum SW) can handle it.

Thanks

PS. I had forgotten about the BPM increase and while listening to the track after a long I was wondering what in the heck Jamstix was doing at times but of course it was the tempo map I made. I really HATE having to apologize to drummers especially virtual ones :) Although, I have played with a few tired and drunk drummers but I was usually drunk too!

Sounds OK. Mix maybe a little too compressed ... :/

LOL. You called it there I would say. The 2-Buss was a mess. I guess I was trying different comps at some point and somehow they were all enabled!

After redoing the 2-Buss IMO this mix is now WAY better and much more dynamic. It Peaks at -0.5dbTP, LUFS-I is -9.5 and DRA 3.2 LU. No clue what these were prior to the 2-Buss changes.

A couple of days ago I pulled this project up for the first time in about 2 years. It has come a long way since with all of the help and advice I got from everyone.

Thanks to all

Brian

i increased the BMP in those spots :) too much?

i probably have some 2-Buss compression going on that I can loosen up for more dynamics.

Thanks

Brian

I just made some changes. I add some Samples to kick using Slate Trigger. It sounds more rounded now IMO and I dropped some of the high end on it slightly with a shelf.

I also got rid of a lot of the snare ringing. I like some ringing so you will still here some but not nearly as much.

I did some thickening on the side guitars. I reduced the low mids in the solo and brought the volume up 0.5 db

I think it sound better now.

Thanks for listening and providing solid feedback. I appreciate it. So many things go into a track like this. Sometimes challenging when you go it alone so again thanks for the feedback. Helps me tons.

Brian

well this sucks! just as I thought, poor notes. not that it helps but i did at least label the tracks where I used the Kemper but not what profile. oops.

looking at my Reaper session, i also used Line 6 Native and my DIY ISO cab.

i better work on my note taking.

Thanks for listening notorst and commenting.

We moved recently and I need to hook up with a singer where we live now so I can wrap many of these ideas up.

Brian

Thanks Guys

I will do some more work on it. I did add some UAD Studio D and more Delay from Soundtoys to the Vox in the last mix. I also did some volume automation here and there on various aspects, vox, gtrs, drums.

I also tweaked the 2-Buss which is probably explains what Per mentioned.

After Bengals game, I can work it :)

Great track, great vocals with a tragic story. Really great use of the dual guitar solo too. Thanks for sharing the story. As much as the vocalist is so key here I’d want to find a way to mix the guitar and drums a little higher so that they can back up the power and grind there.

I just did some tweaks to my mix. I ditched the Steven Slate samples for something less metal sounding and did some rebalancing.

Any better?

Great track, great vocals with a tragic story. Really great use of the dual guitar solo too. Thanks for sharing the story. As much as the vocalist is so key here I’d want to find a way to mix the guitar and drums a little higher so that they can back up the power and grind there.

Thanks for listening Per and providing feedback.

I played and recorded this in my home studio except for the keys and vocals (of course). I created the drum track using Jamstix.

I will open up the Reaper session and have a listen. I mixed this in my last home studio. We have since moved so it will be cool to revisit this song in my new setup. I use many plugins including UAD. Lately I have been 'converting' over the UADx where that might apply. I will do the same to this one.

Thanks again.

Music can be very emotional and should be. I remember a couple times with running tears. The first time was hearing my first mix and that I actually made a song from nothing. It wasn't great or even good sounding but I made it with my own hands and mind alone. That's a powerful feeling.

It is an amazing feeling for sure.

I forgot to say that a couple of the other guys i was jamming with at the time were a lot closer to the singer. They really appreciated hearing it since they had not heard it in so long and most likely didn't remember it anyway.

It was a real emotional moment for them since to them it was just music until they heard that familiar voice. They told me that hearing this helped them to heal just a little more knowing that our friend live on through the music he made.