Posts by exilech

Hi All,

I ordered a Kemper DI Box and made my first profiles. Since I usually use direct profiles i don't go through the hassle of mics etc. since there are very good IRs available.

If you like them, great, if you know how i could make them better, please tell me. I didn't quite figure out how the connected cabs influence the load comming from the amp - e.g. in the beginning, i always ended up with distorted profiles even when all was set up clen (amp and profile settings)

Cheers, Chris

dear all, thanks for reading.

I will have to rearange my setup where i need a longer cable from the kpa powered out to a guitar cab (mono)

I see cheap (20€) cable for 5-10m and 90€ cable for 1.8m - does anyone now the benefit of such price differencs? Is it "just" shielding? I'll need 3-5m.

Thanks for any info

i tried IRs a few times, but i hardly stick with something else than what comes withe profile. I do like merged profiles for a better separation so my cab sounds like my cab. But thats it. Do you work with low and high shift in the cab section? Tiny tweaks makd more for me than other IRs.

I read through so many same topics of KPA users who compare their sound from PA to a [put any brand] Head with a Cab.

In my band setting, i "compete" with a Marshall JCM900 and a Keyboard (i guess you don't care for that brand ;-) ) - i have a graphic EQ on every single profile. With that EQ i cut out lows (usually below 150) and the highs (usually above 5500). For heavier stuff (e.g. with palm muted gain sounds) i can drive up the 80hz/160hz to get some oompf, and adjust the hights (1250/5000) to take off some edges.

This only works, if i'm happy with the rest of the profile of course.

I then test the sound over the PA in the band setting to adjust. If i'm completely off, i usually start over.

For my 2x12 cab, i compared the PA output (which is mainly flat with a low-cut at around 80hz) to the powered monitor output and adjusted the EQ to sound as close as possible to the PA.

This works really well, and i blow everything out of my way. Here is a link to a soundcheck video. The right guitar (the one next to the keys) is kemper powered and i think it really cuts through nicely: Soundcheck Kemper powered Guitar

i already made a factory reset after only a few days because with all the knob turning i messed it up. The factory settings are already very usefull and i learned to tweak very gently. Make an export if some rigs are already with the device. Good luck and have fun :-)

you can't compare a device with another device. Kemper has something many don't - that is a community, rig sharing and professional profiling. As long this goes, the kpa goes. If the community ceases, so will maybe the device. And if you change gear too often, like line6, you cant establish a broad community. I think they do it right and gave enough room for development. It already makes more than i can use, so i do hope to get some usability updates (better undo control as example) but i yet have to master it.

Thanks db db cooper for the detailed how to.

I dind't progress that much as i'm still looking for some mics to borrow.

I try a sennheiser MD409 and a shure sm57 close up and sum together with two small diaphragm mics like AKG C451B or alike positioned a few feet away from the amp and then do a profiling.

The other approach you describe is definitely worth trying but will require that i take my kemper to the studio at home. We have some stuff coming up and my kemper is savely installed in a heavy rack. Or do you mean the amp only as in the amp i want to profile? If yes, can i hook up any amp speaker out to a DI?

if you want something better than 'amp in the room', put the PROFILER in stereo through a good monitoring system (Studio monitors, wedges, IEM) and add a 1x12 cabinet, preferrably driven by the POWERHEADs internal power amp.

Now you can take advantage of the full profiled sound including cabinet, speaker, mic, EQ etc. for FOH/reheasal room PA/FRFR and the extra impact a 12" speaker delivers, which is what many of us guitar players are used to.

Best of both worlds.

I have the KPA going straight to the FOH with the main outs in stereo and have a 2x12 cab as my own guitar monitor driven by the KPA Poweramp.

What i'm looking for seems the longer i try to understand the physics of audio, be a bit of a utopia and maybe not even band-context friendly, but still, the "amp-in-the-room" feeling for me, is the 4x12 cab i hear when standing a few feet away from the cab, which sounds huge, and have that as a cab profile or studio profile come out of the PA to the audience.