Posts by stickman

The Looper was always a feature that can only be fully implemented and used with the Kemper Remote. Using external switches gives you more flexibility with the Remote. But the switches don't replace the Remote.

not sure i understand, i have been using the looper when traveling without any issues with a Roland FS-6 without the Kemper remote. This gives me all the function of the first two switches on the remote which for me is enough to play almost exactly like when i'm using the remote. The only feature from the other 3 remote switches i miss is the half speed but other than that i find it more practical than the Ditto which btw i haven't touched since i got the K.

You know stickman I'm at the age when your real first guitar become a real vintage guitar! Ha ha ;) I bought it new in 1979 and it is a Musician model. I love this guitar, It sounds fantastic, it has a superb sustain but it's very heavy too!

haha, well that explains it .. similar generation here i guess :D i still remember when the MC500 came out, i was stilll a teeny then but already a regular in the local guitar shop here who were cool enough to let me come around after school despite me not having any disposable income to spend. I remember they had the MC in a glass case cause it was ridiculously expensive at the time (maybe it was even a 5000). There's something about that shape and this combination of woods that speaks to me even today. They also had a Yamaha CP70 electric grand (even more ridiculously expensive at the time) which i was allowed to practice on and those two instruments were the stuff of my dreams during my youth. Managed to find a nice CP70 20 years later but never found a good MC.

Found a ouple of MC500s over the years but since i've waited so long now i'm really picky and want a case queen where the wood grains is just right and not one that has been butchered, moded or refinished.I have an ST300 which is a bit the poor mans MC500 and very similar ... and yeah it weighs a ton like all the Matsumoko Ibanez. All the late 70 and 80s high end Ibanez are amazing guitars.

Take the jack plate out and use the hole as a handle to pull off the back.

yep, that's the way to get it out. mine had the rattle too even at low volumes. was a bit scary to pull the back out cause it was really tightly fit. after tigtening the screws a bit and puttin it back together the rattle was gone.

before i did it i called Kemper support cause i wasn't sure if this would void the warranty. They told me it didn't but if i preferred i was welcome to send it back and they'd send me another one. I would try that and if that doesn't solve it and it isn't mechanical i would call Kemper support, they are really cool.

It's hard to know for sure from a photo, but that Korg pedal appears to have a much longer throw than a Dunlop mechanism. I've never had any luck using long-throw pedals as wah controllers. A Mission pedal will put you much closer to the physical feel of a traditional wah pedal. Final sound tweaking is still up to you and others have posted good advice in that area.

you might be right, will have to compare when i get back. the Korg is not super long throw, it's just buttery smooth and doesn't wobble around like the crybaby cause it's really heavy and solid metal. also really like the rubber on it, the rubber on my crybaby is long gone and i never bothered to put a new one on cause it works for me like it is.

hey everyone, disclaimer upfront: i'm currently visiting the elders and only took the toaster with me not the expression pedal so i can't really try anything out right now. but there is one thing that has been buggin me ever since i got the kemper but i always forgot to post about it.

i have a Dunlop Crybaby which i bought i think sometime in the late 80's or early nineties. at some point i swapped the switch for a true bypass switch (i'm the kind of guy who ALWAYS forgets to unplug the jack so pretty much everytime i wanted to use it the battery was empty, that pretty much was the only reason i went for the true bypass so i can still play even with an empty battery) and nowadays i have a power supply so i could stop polluting the planet with empty 9V batteries. I'm not a pedal nerd so i don't know if that particular model is special/different or if the true bypass mod changed sth.

thing is when i dial up the crybaby preset of the wah stomp it's not even close to my old baby, the range, the sound, the attack all feels completely wrong. at one point i spent a day trying out all the other kemper wah presets and playin with the dials and just couldn't get anywhere i liked with it (to be fair i've never been a fan of any other wah than the crybaby). when i plug in the real baby it's instant bliss, despite the crappy mechaniscs of the foot pedal. i have this really nice korg XVP20 expression pedal for the kemper and i love it as a volume or morph pedal but i just can't get any wah going that i dig. i'm tempted to get one of these crappy mission kemper pedals cause it looks similarly cheap as the crybaby mechanics .. maybe it's just muscle memory habit that's the problem or the fact that i've been playin with it for 30 years and am so honed in to the sound and feel of that particular pedal.

i'm gonna look into this a bit more when i'm back home after the holidays but before i forgt again i thought i'd post it here to see if there is someone else with old crybaby syndrom to see if it's even worth tryin. also since i only play at home and i have the crybaby i love it's a bit of a non issue but just out of intellectual curiosity i'd thought i'd ask if anyone managed to get a convincin crybaby to work on the K.

It seems what everyone is really worried about it the prospect of free profiles going away. That's the underlying fear. Not inconvenience. but the perpetuation of free stuff.

never used a free profile, bought all the interesting commercial profiles i was interested in, and everytime i checked for similar things to what i liked in rig exchange what i found sucked compared to commercial profiles. never gave anyone my commercial profiles and never had anyone offer me theirs. i know a dozen or so K users who operate on the same principle. also pretty sure theres people stealing apples in the supermarket down the road but would be strongly opposed to every apple being in a blister pack to prevent it.

wanted to try the new beta OS and enabled the beta tick in prefs. when i do the check for updates nothing happens. once i do it the check for updates menu item is greyed out.

so i downloaded the latest rig manager from the kemper site and tried again .. same issue. no probs since i can instal the os from the kemper site downloads but weird it isn't working anymore. i used to always run the betas last year and never had issues installing new versions but then at some point switched back to the stable since i had issues with the beta and wasn't really using any of the new stuff anyways.

i'm on Catalina .. anyone else have this ?

Then they have so much delay and reverb that I can’t imagine how anyone could use them without reducing those by about 90% ?

dude .. don't even get me started on people overloading their verbs ... spring reverbs especially .. the arguments i've had over the years ... but i resent the implication that there can ever be too much delay on a guitar sound .. at times, for trippy rhytmic fx or soaring solos that's perfectly legit, too much reverb is just silly crap in any situation

The #8 profile, with a little boost and delay sounds damn good to me, with my strat. Nice and dirty blues tone.

so i tried that one again and some of the others with a couple of different guitars and i'm just not diggin it, what it is mostly is the lack of bass or body for lack of a better word. dialing down the gain on the K or on the guitar volume to clean it up thins it out even more. i'll give it another go when i'm in heavy rock noodlin mode some day :P

One of the things I hate about MBritt, Tone Junkie etc (I love theor basic amp profiles by the way!) is the way they load everything up with stomps and FX.

:D just goes to show ... i'm kinda with you on the TJ on by default thing but i quite like seeing other peoples aproach to building tone .. i can always load my stom and fx presets over it. with mbrit i like that everything is quite subtle they are the only rigs i found where i don't have to turn down the reverb first thing, often i reach for another reverb or delay only to finally settle back on what came with the rig just with different values. so i go to TJs for inspiration sometimes but mostly i like the bare straight to amp thing mbritt has goin. if i'm just lookin for a straight to amp profile i'l almost always go to mbritt cause i find them the most convincing or authentic sounding (with a bit of twiddling to make them less dark for lower volumes). for stomps i rarely use the kemper just an EP boost pedal and my crybaby.

that’s not good.

Very surprising to hear as I would have expected them to set the amps the way they like them then have the other guy just hit the profile button. Let’s face it, actually making a profile isn’t rocket science. The skill is in setting the amp and mic positioning. They seem to be able to do both fairly well for their show so it seems strange they couldn’t do it for making a profile.

i very much doubt they had any hand in the profiling other than lending the amp. Although they do say it's been a very long process .. but for sure they did A/B the final profiles with the original so if they let the profiles out like that i assume that's how they perceive the amp sounds and that the profiles do it justice. So possibly just not my cup of tea :)

but it's also a very barebones rig setup .. what i quite like with mbritt, tonejunkie and many rig exchange profiles is that most of them are built with a variety of stomps and fx which go well with that particular profile and also have the gain settings properly set (all the D&P profiles show the same gain setting in the rig manager list view.).

I guess i'm just disaponted there aren't any clean or lightly crunchy sound at all to be had with those profiles.

and the rigs dont clean up well when turning down vol knob

thats the problem, and the actual sound is way off the original sounds from their videos

yep, i much prefer other peoples strategy of profiling at different gain/volume settings, the volume knob on the guitar and the gain knob on the kemper only work in tiny increments for me before the sound gets stale on these profiles so 'cleaning up' also means you loose a lot of body to the sound.

What were you playing through and at what volume? Some profiles sound great some situations, and not good in others. Like for me, M. Britt high gain profiles only sound good for live and loud use, but just kinda meh in a studio setting.

i was playing through the Kabinet (output monitor volume set to -20dB) and also tried headphones (full blast), haven't tried studio monitors yet. first i thought there might be sth wrong with the profiles or that i messed up some settings, cause if i switch to any mbritt profile (fender, vox, marshall) my guitars come alive again like normal and the D&P profiles just lack body and are all pretty overdriven with a lot of highs compared to say a mbritt vox profile.

note that this might really just be a taste issue .. i'll have to go back to their SRT videos and check the sound and compare it.

just bought this yesterday and am kinda disapointed, to my ears they don't sound so good. Super harsh and thin and hot. I've been watching their channel on and off and always thought they had pretty sweet tones so i wasn't expecting these profiles to sound so poor. Tried with p90's and buckers and none works for me. The profiles also sound very similar to each other and all are overdriven and it would be nice to have had a wider range of grit but maybe this amp doesn't do cleans?

i'm with you man ... hands down the most inspiring piece of gear i ever bought. i had switched to keyboards for years but it's fair to say i haven't touched any of my keyboards since i bought the toaster 2 years ago. before i had gone through loads of modelers and amps but always used to struggle and have to twiddle settings for hours to find an inspiring sound. with the K i can pretty much load any preset and instantly get into some kind of groove. and i've also played much more than ever before, my fingers are finally at the stage where the callouses don't come of anymore and the left fingertips are now nicely hardened which makes me play even more :P