Posts by stickman

that's interesting, i always have my master at max when i'm going into my audio interface and i have plenty of headroom left even with high gain profiles. I can't remember ever clipping my input with these settings and i'm coming in at Line+4 on a balanced connection.

The only times i use the master volume knob is to control the headphone volume (although that also tends to come up to max quickly cause it sounds so good at full blast through my DT880's).

None of this should come as a surprise for people having consulted the five pages dedicated to KEMPER Kone in the Main Manual. It also helps to adapt precise terminology. Not sure, what you are exactly referring to as "cabinet preset" in this context: a cabinet PROFILE, an imported impulse response, a Speaker Imprint ...

sorry Burkhard, which five pages in which of the manuals ? Is the reference manual or the basics the 'main manual' ? i can't seem to find anything in the TOC.

This thread is nothing without pictures...

How about a 2001 McCarty with wrap around binding...

technically that's not a binding at all but kudos to Paul for the spin :D.. and you are forgiven, had forgotten how beautiful that one is, always nice to see it again :)

so here's another binding that's not a binding i guess, it's a pain to make but i prefer my fret tangs hidden and don't like bound fretboards, to me they just look wrong. i quiet like body bindings on LPs and ES-types however. i hate Teles but if it has to be a tele than one with double binding please.

interesting to see the different tastes. i think that if you only get a non powered kemper and headphones you miss out on a lot that in my opinion makes the Kemper great.

For me the Kemper has 6 distinct sound spheres:

1. headphones -> introspective Hi-Fi sound
    2. monitors -> sounds like on all the records
    3. traditional guitar cab -> amp in the room feel
    4. FR cab -> sounds like all the records through a PA
    5. Kabinet -> 3&4 plus a bit of 2, and also the full Kemper experience as intended so worth checkin out
    6. with a bass cab -> amazing real bass amp feel

Personally i really enjoy 1, 2 and more recently 5. I've been through 3. for a while with my cheapish combo cab and tried out 4. in shops and at friends. After trying 6. a couple of times in shops it's definitely on my shopping list. 6. is also the main reason why i bought the powered Kemper. But i still haven't tried the Kabinet with bass and that might change the shopping list.

With the exception of 3. all sound really good at low neighbour friendly volumes (even 6.), and i mean not just good but inspiringly so :) 3. didn't sound super good to me at low volumes but pretty good at high volumes (but not inspiringly so) .. but it's not a great speaker i have so i can't really judge that.

i started of with just headphones and pretty tiny active monitors (Dynaudio Lyd 5"), that had me sorted for months with a huge smile on my face. I tried out my guitar cab a couple times but mostly was playing on monitors during the day and headphones in the evening. After a bit i did buy a sub for my monitors, mainly because i was missing lower frequencies on the Kemper but also in general because with 5" you don't get a lot of bass no matter what the specs say, with the sub now i'm super happy with this system and glad i didn't cave for bigger monitors which i was considering at the time. If you go down the monitor route i'd really suggest you get a sub with them, it does make a big difference to the guitar sound, at least to me.

Now the Kabinet definitely sounds loads better with the volume pulled up a bit more and it quickly gets really loud (maybe i'm just easily carried away with it :) but it still does sound really good at low and medium volumes. I also wouldn't say that the monitors sound loads better at low volumes, it's a different feel and i find myself switching between both at low volumes when i like one or the other better one day.

might be worth mentioning that i don't play high gain stuff so the above only applies to sounds from clean-ish to hard rock

do you have both the in and out midi ports connected ? i had issues with my interface and the kemper locking up randomly with such a setup. Then the rig editor came out so i stopped using the ToastME editor and disconnected the midi ports so i didn't investigate further, but in my case the issue was only when i had both ports connected, just controlling the kemper through the in port and leaving the out disconnected would work as expected.

vtgearhead yeah the situation has been similar here in EU, fact is thee things sell faster than hot buns. Why don't you just call them, not sure about the US but here they are really friendly peeps on the support line :)

so i got the Kabinet last week as promised and when i first tried it out i had some really nasty rattling as soon as i hit a bass string. Called them up and they told me that until now they did not have a faulty Kone but some of the kabs had issues with assembly and some bolts/screws not properly tightened. They were happy to have me send it back and get a replacement (apparently despite the sold out status they keep a certain quantity in stock for replacements) but they also said i could easily open up the cab without voiding the warranty and tighten the bolts myself .. which i did. The backpanel didn't wanna come out at first so i took out the connection plate and then used the hole as a handle to pull it out. It's really tightly crammed in there so that was a bit scary. Tightened all the bolts inside a bit more (none of them was obviously loose), put it back together and the rattle was gone. 8o

And it sounds really amazing. I was also surpised how well it sounds at low volumes, haven't really let it rip yet since i'm not used to play at super loud volumes anymore and will wait until i'm back home to pump it up and go through the Marshall bank. The sound is quite different from what i'm used to playing the toaster through headphones or my monitors but tbh for me all 3 variants sound amazing in their own way. As for the imprints (haven't tried out full range mode yet), personally i think it's a gimmick for nerds (which isn't meant as negative as it probably sounds). Maybe it's because i don't play covers and never wanted to sound like anyone in particular but myself that i've never been one for chasing grails and tbh i rarely care what particular guitar/pups/pedals/amps/cabs i play ... either it inspries me or not ... if it sounds it sounds and i never understood the extensive and sometimes heated debates i see online about which is 'the best' or 'most authentic'. At low and medium volume i (and the other two guitarists in the family) can't hear a huge difference in tone from the different imprints but only subtle frequency shifts .. and all sound good to me. Maybe that perception will evolve over time but i doubt it cause as i said .. to me .. if it sounds it sounds and i don't care much how or why, after over a year and a halfwith the kemper is still don't have any favorites and dial up a different rig almost everytime i play ^^

the one thing i think is a bit of a design flaw is the position of the rubber feet. It's not super stable with the toaster sitting on top and i'd be afraid to topple the whole rig or rip the toaster from the base with a slight tug on the jack. I think i'm going to redrill the feet all the way to the corners for a bit more stability and probably keep the toaster in the shelf i built for it where it can't fall down. The leather handle and corner thingies are a nice touch ... but still not diggin the green but hey tastes and colors as the french say ...

so bottom line for me ... sounds amazing, much more 'guitar amp' than over monitors and way better than the couple of standard cabs i tried in the shop or at home ... so once again .. happy Kemper.

woohoo .. finally ordered my Kabinet and wil get it tomorrow. major big up to the Kemper team who managed to get my order in just this morning and ship it out just a couple hours later so it arrives tomorrow to another country where i'm currently stayin for a couple of weeks. Kemper peeps are awesome !!!

can't wait to try it out :P

The Bass Boost parameter was not designed to compensate for a lack of bass ...

i suspect the Kone mode also wasn't designed to improve the sound of a regular 5$ oem speaker ... just thought i'd give it a try, chopsticks also aren't designed to scratch an itch under a plaster cast but work really well for that so hey you never know :P

so i just did sth silly: i tried out the Kone mode with my 10" cheapass vietnamese VOX combo's speaker (i modded a while ago with a separate speaker in so i can just use the speaker with the Kemper). I rarely use the cab since for me the K sounds way better on minotrs with sub or headphones. Can't say i'm blown away by the results but it's also definitely not worse sounding in Kone mode. Some subtle changes with different imprints, some more dramatic than others, but you can definitely hear a difference with different imprints ... bass boost does sth but not really boosting the bass.

i'm dyin to get the real thing but still recovering from a broken wrist so doesn't make sense to get one yet until i can play like normal ... but today curiosity just got the better of me :D

just thought i'd let you know ...

stupid question: can you save different imprints to different rigs, so use a Jensen for a Fender profile and a creamback for a marshal and so on ? or is the imprint selection a global setting which you can't switch together with profiles ?

so i've finally started to use performance mode more and one thing that is really annoying is that most of the Mbritt profiles i use don't have footswitch assignements. So i think i always have to go edit the rig to set the footswitches to switch fx slots on and off. Or is there a simple way to say always have reverb and delay on footswicthes 3&4 and the first two stomp slots on footswitch 1&2 ? That would solve most of my problems.

Or is there maybe a quick way to do this from the Performance mode ?

hey there. so i had noticed a while ago on my mixer that when the Kemper is completely switched off, even when i pull the power chord .. i have a slight hum coming out of the main outs (the direct and monitor outs which i have connected to record dry and fx are silent as you can see):

here's a recording with the signal boosted by about 30dB:

kemperHum_boosted.mp3.zip

not sure what to make of it, the toaster is working fine as far as i can tell, i think i faintly remember that this has always been there but to be honest i just forgot to investigate sooner since it doesn't bother me, when the Kemper isn't on the channel is muted anyways.

when i turn the Kemper on about a third through the progression bar the hum disapears. When the Kemper is powerd up and i pull down the volume pedal all the way the hum is not present.

my toaster is connected to my interface/mixer with a good quality balanced/DB25 snake.

could it be a fault in the kemper or is this normal ?

man i'm loving this editor for one reason: changing the Mbritt legacy delays and verbs to the new ones :D that used to be a drag on the toaster but so quickly done with the editor. i wish Mbritt would update his presets at one point with the new verbs and delays .. just for convenience's sake :)

but it's fuckin with my system now ... i used to just play the presets and be perfectly happy with what i got with a few adjustments to the front panel knobs ... but now of course i keep twiddling with the fx chains ... so i'm playing less and twiddlin more ... sounds better in the end for sure but not sure it's a productive development overall

1°) The one feature i have always liked in RM is the ability, once you have selected a rig to preview on the profiler, to go to the next rig with the up and down arrow keys. This feature seems to be missing in RM 3 : when you press up and down, the cursor goes up and down, but the playing rig doesn't move. I guess the problem could be if there were unsaved changes that could be lost, but in this case there should be a dialog asking to save the rig.

yeah that sucks, use this all the times and straight away noticed it was gone. pretty sure it's gonna come back in a future version.

other than that no issues installing and testing, seems like a cool and practical controller.

went to see Herbie Hancock yesterday and he had a guitarist with him i had never heard of: Lionel Loueke , here's his rig:

just that and the foot controller with one xpression pedal .... Damn this guy went to places with the Kemper i had never imagined ... it's really hard to describe and i haven't found any youtube clips that do it justice (it's one of those things that you have to hear live in a place with stellar acoustics, this part here sounded amazing and the youtube clip is crap but it gives you an idea ... in this clip here at around 1 min there is a little good sounding bit of the less crazy funky stuff:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ) .... so if you ever have a chance to see him play go for it. There really was some crazy beautiful shit and he sings and makes weird sounds with his tongue on top of it, wild stuff. At places it sounded as if his voice was somehow routed through the Kemper as well but maybe his mic was fed to Herbie who was twiddlin it on his Kronos .. i wouldn't know cause i was mesmerized by the guy and watched him quite a bit more than Herbie throughout the gig.

he also played some straight up jazz solos and some killer wailing PAFy 70s rock fusion leads as well (i guess the Boogie cab helped with that) and everything sounded great and very much amp on the stage to me. at one point he also had this hammond organ like sound goin and if you closed your eyes it was damn close to a filthy John Lord sound.

i really have to dig deeper into the FX and control sections at some point ... i'm still in the 'woah it sounds like all the amps' stage but will definitely have to take an excursion into the 'woah it sounds like the intergalactic fleet' territory

i wonder how he's doing that without the editor, maybe he has acess to a VIP beta ?

on a sidenote it was really nice for once to be in a concert where there was no one recording or taking pics with smartphones .. only at the encore a few people took some snaps. and the audience (as always with Herbie) wasn't particularly old fart jazz dudes but completely mixed sex/age wise so really nice surprise... maybe people will get tired of that stupid habit eventually. and that's probably why i couldn't find any good sounding clips on the web for it :)

the gig was great btw, a bit challenging at times cause they didn't play a single 'song' (except for a super nicer version of actual proof and the obligatory headhunter encore) .. Herbie was just teasing lines from across all his stuff and then they went of into pretty crazzy freestyle bits with very many notes per second .. if i wanna listen to the hits i've seen him loads of time and got the CD's so all good for me but definitely not for the casual listener that gig :P