Posts by keem85

We all got "shit ears". Take Steven Wilson for example, he records and masters everything himself, but for his guitar part, he sends it away for others to mix it, because they sound shit to him no matter what he does :)

That worked! Thanks. Now for the S/PDIF setup. This helped me narrow it down to maybe a routing problem on the Focusrite Software. I'll not bug you guys more about this, since now I know it works the analogue way.

I somehow managed to be able to have the AMP channel listen to the DI channel. It now inputs signal from DI, but it's clean signal. Not amped or distorted, like it should be

EDIT: It seems that the manual is wrong when it comes to output. It says to put it in Git Studio, but that's wrong, no amped sound comes through there. If I set it to Git/stacked, I get amped sound. I'll experiment a little bit more

The Kemper front input is working at all times, not matter if I chose another input source. This issue got introduced today and makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot.. Cubase is not letting me chose DI output as the other spdif cable, and my Kemper is not letting me chose spdif as input source. I tried restarting the KPA and reinstalling OS also

EDIT: Setting KPA output to Stack instead of Git Studio had another effect. Now I can hear the amped sound, and the front input and spdif section works.. Still problems with reamping though. No way to get the DI signal to play back to the KPA.

Thanks Chris. But I have already setup input and output in cubase just like that manual there. Here's how it looks: https://imgur(dot)com/a/2PkSt0t

There you can see my whole Cubase setup, it's done correctly. I suspect that maybe reamping is not going to work on such an old DAW?

EDIT: I've now also noticed that I can still hear my guitar out of the monitors even when I set the Kemper to SPDIF input reamp.. Which I find very strange

Okay, let's start from scratch, i.e. open a new project, and we'll do it by the numbers. I'm not in the studio so some of the names are approximations, but I think it's the overall workflow that may be giving you trouble.

1. Create a mono audio track and name it DI
    2. Set the Input to one of the mono splits from spdif
    3. In the Kemper, make sure the spdif output is set to the analog guitar signal
    4. Arm track, press Record, play guitar
    5. Disarm track and set the DI track output temporarily to your main Stereo out.
    6. Play back. If it's not just the raw guitar signal, you need to get this fixed first and it'll have to do with what your Kemper is set to output via spdif
    7. Once you can record a clean DI track, the next step is reamping.
    8. Set your DI track output to point to the Kemper mono spdif input
    9. On the Kemper, set that mono spdif input source to Reamp In / spdif reamp in
    10. Create a new audio track, mono or stereo as you prefer and name it Amp
    11. Set the Input of the Amp track to either one of the mono splits or the stereo of the spdif
    12. Now play back the DI track. You should hear the amp profile sound coming out of the Kemper. If you hear nothing, verify with headphones into the Kemper first as I don't know how you have our outputs to the speaker routed in this case. If you hear your tone through your Kemper headphones you should be good.
    13. Once you've verified that the DI is making it to the Kemper and you're getting the profile sound, arm the Amp track for record and press Record.
    14. You should see audio being recorded into the Amp track. if not, go back and check all your routing
    15. When recording is done, disarm the Amp track, mute the DI track, and make sure the Amp track's output is set to your main Stereo output bus.
    16. Press play and you should hear your reamped guitar.

See if that helps get you going.

I'm not certain on step 2. There are so many choices.. I see on some yt videos I should set it to git stack?

I actually stop on part 8. There is no way to set the DI track output to a spdif input. All I have is no bus and stereo out

"Return Input Reamp" is the analog input on the back, it needs to be "SPDIF input reamp", the next option on the knob.

Thanks. I tried that one also you see, still had no effect on my end

Okay, let's start from scratch, i.e. open a new project, and we'll do it by the numbers. I'm not in the studio so some of the names are approximations, but I think it's the overall workflow that may be giving you trouble.

1. Create a mono audio track and name it DI
    2. Set the Input to one of the mono splits from spdif
    3. In the Kemper, make sure the spdif output is set to the analog guitar signal
    4. Arm track, press Record, play guitar
    5. Disarm track and set the DI track output temporarily to your main Stereo out.
    6. Play back. If it's not just the raw guitar signal, you need to get this fixed first and it'll have to do with what your Kemper is set to output via spdif
    7. Once you can record a clean DI track, the next step is reamping.
    8. Set your DI track output to point to the Kemper mono spdif input
    9. On the Kemper, set that mono spdif input source to Reamp In / spdif reamp in
    10. Create a new audio track, mono or stereo as you prefer and name it Amp
    11. Set the Input of the Amp track to either one of the mono splits or the stereo of the spdif
    12. Now play back the DI track. You should hear the amp profile sound coming out of the Kemper. If you hear nothing, verify with headphones into the Kemper first as I don't know how you have our outputs to the speaker routed in this case. If you hear your tone through your Kemper headphones you should be good.
    13. Once you've verified that the DI is making it to the Kemper and you're getting the profile sound, arm the Amp track for record and press Record.
    14. You should see audio being recorded into the Amp track. if not, go back and check all your routing
    15. When recording is done, disarm the Amp track, mute the DI track, and make sure the Amp track's output is set to your main Stereo output bus.
    16. Press play and you should hear your reamped guitar.

See if that helps get you going.

Thanks! Very detailed and good guide. Will try the first thing when I'm home! :)

I cannot figure this out. Been sitting here for two hours trying to figure out why my second track will not listen to the DI-track. I've used S/PDIF on my Clarett 4Pre for the purpose of reamping. In Cubase I've set the first guitar-track to "SPDIF in 1" and the second one to "SPDIF in 2". They both give a direct signal and an amped signal, since I have followed the Kemper manual exactly like it says. Then, after recording a direct track and arming the other, I hear no sound, even when I set the input source to "Return Input Reamp" on the KPA itself, I still hear nothing... If I set "Input" on the KPA back to "Front" again, I can play the guitar and hear it just fine.. I tried all of the input sources that I have available for the track that is supposed to be armed and ready for reamp-recording, but nothing is happening.

Then I figured that maybe there must be something with the Focusrite Controller. It's another beast I cannot understand properly (even after watching tutorial videos I still don't get this confusing software). The S/PDIF can be split in to Mono and Stereo. I've tried them both, don't know which one of them to chose. It also have a dropdown menu with "Playback (DAW)", "Hardware Input" and "Custom Mix". I've tried all of the channels but no sound still. S/PDIF inputs and line-ins has been set and activated in the Cubase controlpanel aswell (see added picture for that).. Physically the cables are connected correctly also, given that SPDIF channel 1 gives dry signal and SPDIF channel 2 gives the amped signal..

I'll attach a few pictures to show how it looks: imgur(dot)com/a/9MAx8V4

If the 2pre is anything like the Scarlett 18i8 then connecting an XLR to the input will force a Mic level input - you really want a line level input so can you connect using TS (unbalanced) 1/4” cables? Or if you have them, XLR (Kemper end) to TRS will get you a balanced connection. Have a look in the Clarett manual to be sure about the XLR input.

But yeah, if you want the SPDIF connection, maybe better to switch to a different interface, I’d rather not involve more converters just for simplicity & troubleshooting. I don’t know the Clarett range at all, would a Scarlett suit if it’s cheaper? The 6i6 I think is the lowest model supporting SPDIF, MIDI etc. You may lose some detail in the pre-amps but are you using them?

Yeah I actually chose the Clarett series because of the series pristine quality. I am planning to use their preamp for vocals. So I'll switch to the 4Pre version which has S/PDIF and the same preamp that I wanted originally. Best of two worlds.

Apologies, I somehow missed this.

Since you're not going into the computer with it, I'm guessing the AD / DA converters don't even come into play, i.e. Kemper L/R out -> Focusrite mic inputs -> line outputs. Of course, that's just an assumption, I don't know how they route things internally or whether it's "true bypass" in that scenario, as the pedal manufacturers would say. Be interested in hearing if the 4pre sounds any different.

Dude, I'm the last one to comment about bad habits. Beyond English (or rather American, as my British friends are fond of pointing out), all I know is just enough Spanish to get me kicked out of a Mexican bar. :)

^^ Yeah I'll let you know when I get it tomorrow :)

You should not connect the line outputs of the PROFILER to any microphone level inputs.

Connect them to the line inputs instead using a regular guitar cables.

Thats's good to know! That's what I was doing. But they go through Focusrite preamp either way it seems.

Ah yeah I meant audio interace. We say lydkort (soundcard) here in Norway, just a bad habit. I connected the FRFR monitors via the line outs of my interface yes. Not going through anything else than the Focusrite. Didn't check the samplerate before packing down my soundcard, but I guess it was set to default 44khz. Past experiences I've known no difference on my guitars from 44khz and 48khz. But, I'm gonna swap the card even if that's the case or not :) At the very least I have more options with the 4pre

I don't know. Not only the reason why I'm swappiing it. I was planning on using reamp function with the spdif. I didn't use it through daw. Plainly through the soundcard via XLR. At least the profiles I was carefully tweaking, they were sounding much more flat and mellow bubly distorted, instead of that gritty bite I was used to.. The only thing I could come up with was the preamp in between, because that's the only change that was done.. Not saying that their converters suck, just to be clear I didn't say that. :) I just didn't like how it colored my profiles

Yeah. I had my Kemper connected to my Fluid F5 monitors. Sounded wonderful for a long time! Then when I got the 2pre today and connected through it, my profiles were dull (like playing through Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig software, Rocksmith even..). I guess it's because of the onboard preamp. My main use for that onboard preamp was going to be vocals only, but as above, I learned that there is no way to bypass it except digital.