Posts by pippopluto

I think you missed my whole point. People like what they like, regardless of how "linear and transparent" it is on paper. I was just saying that if he's having to fight it so much, maybe look for something he doesn't have to fight. I didn't see anything in the original post about looking for the most linear and transparent cab. He just wanted to sound good, which is subjective to everyone.

I hear you, I am just pointing out a different perspective, if you will.

If I decide to not use a guitar cab it's because I want the most faithful sound to what my KPA outputs with full profiles. I see no reason for spending money in a linear solution that's... not linear, and colours my tone outside my control: this way, I'd have to deal with three variables: how the profile was made, how I tweak it and the cab's sonic signature.

Also, if I tweak on a linear system I am most likely to have to do the least adjustments when I use different PAs in different venues.

As for the OP, he asked whether the CLR has an intrinsic issue: playing harsh at high volume. The answer is definitely not, because it is (for my experience, many's reports and by design) the most linear and transparent solution your money can get. Basically, if you don't like what comes out of a CLR (properly set and placed in the room), you are not liking what's coming out of your Profiler.
    OTOH, if the quest is for a cab that alters the sound in a way that one likes, that's another story; but the OP was about perspective issues in a CLR.

:)

OP: from the discussion it seems likely that your issue is that you make your sounds at low volume; also, check for the cab placement in the room, specially if there're a lot of reflecting surfaces (naked walls, windows, large desktop(s), ceiling, floor... this will increase "disturbs" at the reflecting frequencies.

Its also possible that the CLR doesn't sound good to you. Just because it's popular and expensive doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. A lot of people love Mission Engineering active cabs, and when I tried one, I didn't like it one bit. Also had a bad experience with another high end FRFR, the Friedman ASM-12. I ended up with a Laney FR-112, and it's great. I would say that if you keep having to fight it for good sound, then try something else out.

I know where you're coming from, but a linear cab is not like a guitar cab and, when properly designed and built, its function is to translate what the device amount outputs into moving air without colouring the tone.

In this respect, if the outcome is unpleasant it's the profile that needs to be tweaked (provided that the placement and the room aren't adding some issues).

The CLR is very linear and transparent; certainly there are some other so called "FRFR" cabs

out there that aren't so much.

I realise that if someone doesn't like the sound then they don't, but if what a user is after is a cab that faithfully translates the profile's sound, then they don't want a guitar cabinet's personality and should be using the most linear cab they can afford.
    I doubt there's something more linear and transparent than a CLR out there for the money.

Hi all,

I am experiencing something weird, and wondering whether anyone has come across this as well.

When trying to install RM via its .msi pack, I get a windows Error report reading (loosely translating) "Unable to open the installation pack. Check the pack is present..." etc.

The first thing I thought was for the service Windows Install to be inactive, but this was not the case.

In order to make some troubleshooting, I tried and install older versions, to the same avail...

... until I used Rig_Manager_1_3_5_Windows 64-bit.msi, which to my great surprise was launched.

Does anyone have any clue?

Thanks anyone

I don't even own a single single coil guitar, only humbuckers.

I'd try with the Definition control (maybe using the profile of an acoustic amp). Although it doesn't actually turns a HB into a SC, it might lead to interesting results until you get your switch ;)

Can I plug it in "pedal 1" to control the volume or does it need to be an electronic pedal?

You can le your analog volume pedal pretend it's an expression pedal by using a "Y" stereo cable and using both sockets on the pedal.
    Or, you can place it after the guitar (or after Monitor Out) - with obvious limitations.

you can assign three effects per button

You can assign four fx, actually

having 2 effects on the button, you only can select either one on/off or two on/off. But not ALL OFF, one on, the other off and vice versa.

Correct, the switch just toggles the saved status of all the fx. For a more articulated management, switch-driven morphing might be a more versatile option.

Well, Stage misses the "Stops" and "Effects" buttons so it sorta makes sense to not have the function UI-wise. OTOH, if a "group" preset was saved/present in the preset list in RM, it would be nice that releasing it onto any of the slots of one of the two sections loaded the preset on the whole section, hw buttons or not :)

Yet, this comes up periodically since... day one :)
    One issue would be that the effect of each tone knob in a guitar amp usually changes depending on the others', so that for example the eq curve set by the Mids knob @ 12 is different depending on the Treble knob's position.
    No profilation might capture that: what we actually would need would be amp-specific tonestacks behaviour, which have been promised years ago. Kemper might have possibly dropped the feature?

I think these are useful requests. May I add that an option to handle multiple presets (e.g. chorus + delay + reverb = preset Ambience FX) would be nice.

Represent buttons for "Stomp", "Stack" and Effects" within the editor. This would allow the copy and paste of groups.

Apart from the Stage, Stomps and Effects sections can be saved as group presets. Don't they appear in the Editor among others?

Asking for a friend who uses W7 ;D

I like the pitch-dependent octave shift idea. This kind of "octave below F#" programming could also provide the opposite, especially if adding a mix control - Octave up below F#, providing Nashville tuning, and a 12-string kind of sound.

Excellent extension Paul :)

The ability to determine the threshold note would be critical, for example when one uses a capo - or a transposer.
    I often find myself using a capo on the V fret, in which case the G (as on the third open string) should be considered a bass/root note as well (or the higher A for a capo at the VII).

The thing i keep seeing here is that the Kabinet is to be connected to the monitor output, but as a cab shouldn't this primarily be the speaker output (i.e. like a normal cab)? Surely the Kone IRs can be used on speaker output mode too for all profile types.

Yep, the point is that the power amp is led by Monitor out. So basically the information means "not Main out".