Posts by deadman42

Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper :thumbup:8) Thanks for your introduction...

Sorry, can't help much with the headphones question. I'm using rather old AKG 240s for my studio work and those are nice for guitar via the Kemper as well. But I can not really compare them to others as I typically hear guitar via Kemper on my studio monitors. Potentially some other folks here can comment better on this :)

P.S.: Nice nickname. Oh, how much I love that piece of Frank Zappa's music :love:

Indeed. Great advice, just as Dave states at the end. And I like the scene when "...they try to bring food" at around 10:00... that's sometimes cool about those talks and streams from home :thumbup:8)

How important is knowing what amp is being profiled? Is it vital to know what amp is making the sound you are hearing or is just hearing a great sound enough?

That's an interesting question indeed... some of us do have experience with a wide range of amps, others don't. So how will they approach it then?

that gets me into the ballpark I can start with.

That's my take as well. Playing a wide range of style it's good to have starting points. But actually I found really a lot of gems in your packs lonestargtr by systematically going through all the rigs. And even with a bit of experience I easily found a big handful of incredible overwhelming profiles of amps which I never heard of neither would ever be able to get in my hands. And that's the beauty of the Kemper: To open up this universe which enables inspiration and creativity...

Examples? Belchy Bomb 50 2- and MB - X-it X50S 3- from the RigPack. I can not even find much on the net on the originals. But the profiles are in use here. Every day! :thumbup:8)

Great tune, thanks for sharing. Again well arranged and well played. Really like the more ambient sounds a lot as well as the homogeneous sound in the overall mix. Cool thing :thumbup:8)

Nice one Per. Thanks for sharing. Really like the kind of industrial sound with those deep noises. Very cool. I know we already assigned a lot of your tunes to movies and I don't want to overdo this... but... reminds me of the "Bourne Identity" themes... so this is probably part 6 :thumbup:8)

I'm curious to know if it only me or if it is common practice between you also.

Well, I do have an EQ with high and low cut in slot X for all my rigs. Only very few (very clean ones) without (because I need the slot for Tremolo then). Cutting frequencies are selected individually, usually somewhere around 100-120hz for low cut and 7-9khz for high cut. Really depends on the fizz in the highs and naturally for what setting the rig is. Live stuff is cut harder than recording stuff as the latter can be treated in the mix anyway.

Also I'd like to know your way of balancing volume between rigs..

I admit I do use the rig volume all the time. Never touched the clean sense. Works very fine for me to adjust significantly different volumes in comparison to a bunch of reference rigs. Great thing about the Kemper: Many ways lead to the desired outcome :thumbup:8)

In a big music store nearby they have signs which said something like: "Prices for gear might heavily increase if you check the gear with Smoke On The Water, Stairway To Heaven, Can't Stop and everything from ACDC & Metallica - we guys love music but please be nice with us!" 8o

I guess that's sometimes the harder part of working in a music shop, hearing the same songs or riffs over and over again... as much as you may like them 8)

Martin Miller & Paul Gilbert - Superstition (Stevie Wonder Cover)

Brilliant. Incredible musicians. Kudos to the drummer and the bassman (who's a great singer as well), what a rythm section. And Paul is so cool. Met him on the Frankfurt Music Fair some years ago and had longer chat with him. What an incredible nice guy!

And Stevie has written this tune with us guitar players in mind. Some others did it quite well already, e.g. the other Stevie 8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

try a new approach

Can't be wrong I'd say. Despite the fact there are definitely a lot of (well known / accepted / very helpful) best practices when it comes to recording, mixing and mastering I personally think that there is sometimes too much docma around things. Looking at some of the best sounding recordings in the past decades there are a lot of stories with rather surprising approaches behind these.

So from a creative point of view I'd definitely say it's worth trying. Also remember that one of those recording blog guys, Graham Cochrane, did a nice series/video on mixing with headphones. So many approaches which are worth trying... 8)

P.S.: I'm overall happy with my Adams as said above but often I use the headphones during the mixing process to have different impression of the mix and especially before the mixing starts for editing purposes.

Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper! Great to hear that you like it so much. And yes, it is not a super easy piece of gear but not overcomplicated as well. Especially looking at the incredible features and options. I like the concept and the details and still love it more every day. Enjoy!:thumbup:8)

Hi ! You´ll probably get as many suggestions that there are members of this forum

Minus one....

my choice many years ago was a pair of Adam A7x . I´ll never regret that

...because same here and very happy about it ever since. Neumann's KH120 are good as well but a bit more expensive. Indeed many good choices there out on the market.