Posts by Kahuna59

In my younger days I would have loved the inexpensive quality you can get now for $100 and I would have experimented and modded the crap out of them. But at this point in my playing journey I'm not interested in "pretty good for the price", I want "perfect". But that's my character flaw - which my wife is happy to confirm. My playing is better and more enjoyable with a high quality instrument so I want to play more. I just haven't been able to mod the cheap ones enough to get there.

Some of the Epis and Squires are really pretty good. The modern CNC manufacturing is very accurate and repeatable. But they skimp on hardware, electronics and wood so you want to upgrade. But upgrading to better bridges, pickups and electronics can get expensive and, as I've learned the hard way, Fender and Squire parts are not interchangeable so the job usually requires routing.

It's been great to see how the quality/price ratio of foreign builds has improved so much. In the $500-$1000 range you can get top quality exceeding that of legacy American brands costing 2x or more. That puts high quality in the hands of many that could not afford it before. But I still find the $100- ~$400 range too limiting - unless you're in a Who tribute band, in which case, you need to stock up.

More power to you and good luck.

Thanks again. I don't believe I ever slept while in College. That luxury was for only the very smart and talented. I was too scared of having my limitations revealed to sleep. Although, I must admit that early in my career I delivered many a lecture that served as a sleep aid to others.

Got my geek blood flowing again. It's a very simple formula but wish I knew what it refers to. I spent a semester of my PhD work at Imperial College where I was faced with this stuff all the time. Still can't make sense out of it. P has the dimension of length and c is the speed of light so I will assume it pertains to some of his Special Relativity work. Either that, or he is predicting the future boot-up time of the Profiler :) . Nice story, thanks.

A cable tie 'band aid' solution on a $2k plus system seems rather inappropriate, to say the least. Found this far more robust solution: https://britishaudio.com/products/kemper-profiler-mod

though this might not work for my KPA toaster with Ritter power amp installed.

Good idea, seems like a reasonable solution. If you know how to solder, spend $25 and replace with an Ethercon jack to harden up the unit. But that probably would void the warranty right?

Update - I told our tech guy at work, who is also a brass musician about it and he told me to go back and get it and started throwing money at me. It was still there this afternoon so I bought it for him. I got the GAS high without the GAS responsibility.

I finally walked away. Thought I’d share my experience yesterday that shows I’m making a "little" progress in reigning in my GAS. I had no idea what I thought I was going to do with this, I couldn’t even lift it by myself, had no place to put it and I had no "safe" answer to when my wife would predicatively ask “now what the f**k are you going to do with that? Best I could think up was "but it’s cool and with my discount would have only cost me $350!" Proud of myself for walking away but a bit concerned at how long I stared at it and pondered not walking away… even knowing full well she would have ironically killed me on Valentine's Day. Would anyone else have had trouble walking away from this "deal"?

Wow. Looks like they had Pete Townshend cut that hole! It's a Frankenstein for sure. But.... I've seen people do wonders with abused guitars. I'm sure it could be salvaged if someone was inclined to invest the time. Look's like it's been played a fair bit so she must have had some good mojo at some point in her journey.

Or..... at worst it can just be an interesting wall hanger.

If it were mine I'd limit myself to about $200, use my own labor and see what it turns into. But that's what I like to do, it's not for everybody.