Posts by texhex

We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

There is free feature updates in the works where both levels would benefit.

Thank you for clarifying. The process you are describing makes sense. It is a relief to know that free feature updates are to be expected and that you are to be charging for a functionality upgrade to the device.

If a customer purchases the upgrade does it lock the upgrade to a single device or can the upgrade be unlocked from the device and transferred to any subsequent Player the customer purchases if the customer wishes to sell the original device? In other words does a customer own the upgrade?

I’m trying to understand how Kemper intends to manage the upgrade process and subsequent purchases of another Player and/or upgrades. Thank you.

Like I said, some customers will like the digital content management model, others will not. It just totally changes how you interact with their products.

With regards to guitar gear, I personally don’t like having to register and unregister products to keep the content I’ve paid for and/or transfer it to new or used hardware if I choose to buy or sell the hardware. It’s an extra layer I don’t care for and have no intention of purchasing if they decide to change their product offerings in the future.

People are acting as if this is a new concept. It’s as old as the hills.

It isn’t even *here* with Kemper....and people are whining like crazy.

Yes it is nothing new and no one is whining, customers are just expressing their opinions. I don’t ever remember seeing anyone on this forum or any other gear site clamoring for digital content management with regards to Kemper. If Kemper wants to add that as an option to their offering it’s fine, it just totally changes the product and how customers interact with it.

Considering how vast majority of Kemper users only use their Kempers as ‘players’ the net result of upgrading the $700 Player to be practically equal to the rest of the Kempers it would probably destroy the company! Sales of the other units would drop dramatically.

Would you take a 50% pay cut and be able to pay your bills with the good will you harvest from being so nice?

Practically equal to the rest of the Kempers? The Player is not even close, take a closer look at it. If Kemper wants to start charging for content to run on their hardware that is their decision and it will work well for the type of customer who enjoys that model. It is incredibly profitable in the video game industry and for companies like IK Multimedia.

It’s also a whole new way of owning what you pay for when you purchase the content and lock it to your device and how that would be managed through Kemper. It’s a different business model vs. their current one.

I own and enjoy a Kemper Rack and Remote. I have no desire to pay for and then manage digital content on any Kemper device.

Release the Player... then in 6-12 months release the additional features for free as enhancements just like the rest of the big boys (including  Kemper) currently do and keep building value in the Kemper platform.

It's a not an good idea to charge extra for updates to this device if you ask me, IF that is what Kemper actually intends to do in the future. Charging for feature enhancements puts Kemper hardware products into a totally different category IMO.

Thank you Burkhard, I'll give that a try.

Unfortunately it looks like I may have a bad unit. It's doing the same thing on 8.7.2 after a factory reset as well. The problem doesn't appear until after the unit has been powered on for 30 minutes or so. I'm going to email back to support. Maybe a return to Sweetwater for a new unit.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just received this from Kemper support:

"Correct, the TAP LED is controlled by the Buttons setting now. This was changed to reflect the status of the buttons when other functions were assigned. The TAP setting is useless now. I will report this to our dev team. Thank you for reporting."

It's too bad they decided to disable this global setting. It was nice to have separate control over the Tap light setting globally.

Flashing to 9.0.5 via USB resolved the Gain and Delay LED problem but the TAP light is still not being controlled by the Tap setting in System settings, page2. I can set it to 0.0 or 10.0 and the light stays the same.

The Tap light is now being controlled along with the Buttons LED setting in System settings.

Is there anyone else with a Stage running 9.0.5 that can confirm your Tap setting of 0.0 in System setting page 2, turns off the Tap light brightness?

I opened a support case on this too, just sharing here in case someone else runs into this.

I have a brand new Kemper Stage purchased new from Sweetwater (just took it out of the box today). When it's running OS 9.0.5 the first 6 LED lights on the left side of the Gain knob, randomly turn on and off and also dim on and off in different Rigs. The LED above the Delay button also does the same thing and is in sync with the Gain LEDs. This is after a factory reset, using stock Rigs with nothing but the power cord plugged in. Also the Tap light continues to flash even when it's LED setting is set to zero in System settings.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

When I flash back to OS 8.7.20 everything works perfectly. All LED lights work exactly the way they should including the controls for the Tap light.

There must be some bug in OS 9.0.5 related to the LED lamp controls.

Killer man thanks. Eq may be a funny one though. How did you record it? straight to your DAW? Via pedal and a pre? I can always eq it to taste i guess. I was going to try something similar next as Im on a quest to get my profiling right. Was going to play youtubes of clean players as i refine an see what happens. Then someone posted here that he sends a recorded guitar track of a fav sound to get it close. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks again

From DAW > Interface > Into Kemper Input.

If you aren't familiar with the Tonex Capture process, when making a Tonex Capture the software sends four minutes of a series of sine waves (similar to the Kemper Profiling tones) and several prerecorded guitar playing examples prior to performing the more involved 20+ minute matching process. I decided to create a DI of the four minutes of sine wave and prerecorded guitar playing examples and send this into the Kemper for the Refining portion of creating a new Profile.

The results of this are very interesting. On the amps of mine that the Kemper Profiles well, using the Tonex DI during the Refining process produces the absolute best Profiles I've ever created. They are closer to the amp than any Profile I've ever made. In fact, when A/B/C comparing Kemper/Amp/Tonex the only way I can tell the difference between the three is because the Tonex captures have a really high background noise vs. the Kemper and the Amp.

On the amps that the Kemper doesn't Profile well, Refining with the Tonex DI still produces a better Profile vs. ad lib Refining, I just ended up with a Profile that didn't exactly match the amp as usual but the differences were smaller than when not Refining with the Tonex DI. The Profile didn't sound bad, it just doesn't match the amp as well as the amps that Profile really well.

Tonex Captures still beat Kemper Profiles for accuracy. On my amps that don't Profile well, the Tonex Captures are spot on when comparing to the amp. There is still a really high noise floor on the Tonex Captures. I haven't spent any time looking into that to see if it's something I can correct but wow, Tonex is the clear winner here.

Kemper clearly has to do something to compete with this new tech if they want to stay competitive. Literally just running a DI of the four minute Tonex DI when Refining makes a big difference in the outcome of the Profile.

Did you make the Tonex captures with a microphone or with the amp output connected directly to the Tonex Capture device? If it was direct then you have cut the one big variable (cab miking) out of the equation. I think the quality of mic(s), outboard gear and miking technique is what separates really good Kemper profiles from just average Kemper profiles. Most of my profiles I have made of my own amps sound ok but I never use them. I'm simply sticking a SM57 in front of the cab straight in to the Kemper. Since the Tonex Capture can eliminate that and seems to do it quite well the Kemper is then able to make a faithful profile from that capture. That's my guess.

It would be interesting to compare direct and miked captures on the Tonex of the same amp.

I made them direct from the Tonex Pedal.

First of all I'm not trying to bash the Kemper, I've been using it for years and it's one of my favorite devices. I especially love Rig Manager and how easy the Kemper is to use make Profiles.

I have a Bogner Helios 100 and I have created several Profiles of this amp over the last two years. This amp has never been able to Profile "perfectly". I recently picked up a Tonex Pedal and the Tonex software. I created an Advanced Capture of the Helios and the Capture was closer to the amp than the Kemper Profiles have ever been. Practically indistinguishable from the amp. (hold on to any comments about Kempver vs. Tonex and keep reading)

I tried Profiling the amp three separate times this morning, refining each one and the Kemper never Profiled as close as the Tonex software does.

So... I created a Kemper Profile of the Tonex Capture directly from the Tonex pedal and it is a "perfect" match.

I'm running all of these through the AXE III and I can A/B/C the Profile/AMP/Tonex Pedal all back to back to back via a MIDI pedal and the Profile of the Tonex pedal is just as good as the amp and just as good as the pedal. You cannot tell which one you are playing through.

I also did the exact same experiment with a 2018 BE-100 and it's the same result, the Profiles of the Captures sound more like the amp than the Profiles of the physical amp.

Why would the Kemper be able to Profile the Tonex Captures from the Tonex Pedal more accurately than the physical amp? Digital to digital?

I encourage anyone who has a Tonex Pedal and a Kemper to Profile a few of your Captures directly from the Pedal if you don't believe me.

Very interesting.

What would be the intended application of such a feature?

To allow the functionality directly from the Kemper, to adjust the balance to Monitors, PA speakers, etc. without the need for a mixer or having to walk up and back to the speakers. If it was in the Output block it would be globally set.

Other leading brands already easily allow for this.

Fractal:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/yiCMGva.png]

Helix:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/2AsexyO.png]