Posts by Hermes22

Hi again Monkey_Man!

Oh Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to comment that.

Kemper Support Team sent me the backup of the factory content 5.7.

I had my own clean backup of the presets of my unit that I did in Rig Manager, but I suspect that this backup file was the file that fix everything in my unit. I tried to upload the file, but it weights 2.6 Mb and the maximum file size allowed to be uploaded here is 1 Mb. I can send it via wetransfer but the link will be expired in a week.

Maybe Kemper should make a clean entry in this forum based in my case, and provided this file or next Factory Content files for each upcoming versions, just in case someone have my same problem. Don't you think so?

At any case, if you know any way to send the file that will not be expired after a week I will be happy to send it to you.

Hi Guys,

good news!

I received the help of Kemper Support Team (KST), and after a complete reset of the machine following some steps that I couldn't not find anywhere in the manual, nor in the web, now everything works as expected. As I told you before in one of my post, I had already done a reset of my unit, but not following the same steps.

At any case, I did this complete restoration two times, because when everything was working, I restored again my presets from a backup I did at the beginning of the process as suggested by KST. After doing it, the huge latency came again to play. So, it's clear that my problem had to do with presets, OS versions, conflicts between them, whatever. Honestly, the only thing I did after the unboxing was nothing else than to update the SO. But who knows... Machines get sometimes crazy I guess...

Now, recording at 44.1 with and a buffer of 64 samples I got a latency of 169 samples (3,8ms) with one the first presets in the factory bank of KPA called "2011 More Gain AC20". And if I record with a buffer 256 samples, the latency is just 6-10 samples. Both measures has been done recording via the Front input, and recording the KPA to ProTools via the Master Analog output. Reamping the direct signal thru the SPDIF in ProTools I got a latency of 331 samples (7,5 ms).

BTW, I have installed already the last beta version 6.0.

I leave below the full detailed instructions I received from KST, just in case any of you at any time have the same problem I had:

text deleted by moderator because system maintenance procedures should only be used after consulting support.

Again thanks for your help on this.

Happy to be a new member of this friendly and great community!

Hi there,

I am still waiting for the answer from the Kemper Support team, but in the meantime, I would like to clarify you shortly somethings...

Of course, I have done the most-basic test of all - to plug a guitar in and play whilst monitoring from the Kemper's headphone output, and the answer is yes, I can note the lag, as well as I have been noting the lag my whole lifetime playing the keyboards thru midi until USB appeared in my life. I have been a session pianist / keyboardist for many years, and I have been playing many years a little bit ahead of time because the midi latency. But pianist and keyboardist can use the quantize function in our sequencers, while guitarist don't, that's the thing, hehe...

But the question here is that I use the KPA in a professional environment where it's highly important to be perfectly aligned with the grid. I.e. in one of the albums that I am producing now I am using a whole symphonic orchestra, and many times the strings are doing staccato notes at the same time with the guitars. So imagine how important is to be in the grid, or at least to be in sync with the rest of instruments.

Actually, now I completely understand why the first bars of every take in the recording I did with my session guitarist had that "engine starting slowly" effect. It was because the session guitarist tried to play on the beat in the "drop" (punch-in), and when his brain detected the delay, tried to accelerate the next chord or notes of the arpeggio to be in sync with the track. So, it was not the Kemper the one who has a fluctuating latency, but the own guitarist trying to accommodate his performance to that latency.

I need to record both signals from guitar, direct and processed, because sometimes I like to reamp again some of the sounds to reinforce them, or just to accommodate those guitars better in the mix. If the session guitarist can deal with the latency, cool! He will be recording in sync the processed sound, great!. But anyway, I will have to align the clean sound if I want to be able to reamp that track again, right?

At any case, I really think the problem is that my unit is faulty, it seems very clear now. Because I'm sure some of you do albums as well as me, and if you say that the KPA's latency is almost nothing noticeable, I believe you!

Said this, thank you so much to all of you for your help on this. You have been so kind, and I feel very happy to be part of this community of friends of the KPA.

I will let you know the answer from the Kemper Support Team.

Maybe they will be able to send me a new beta chip with zero latency, and make me his official beta tester, LOL

After a Global reset (pressing the system button while turning the power button to browser position) unfortunately nothing has changed!

I am still getting the same latency.

I will try to contact with the Kemper's support team.

Fingers crossed!

Hi everybody, and first of all, thank you so much for all your help on this. I am so happy that kemper's community is so friendly and willing to help.

I have made more testings, following your advices, and I'm still having a latency around 889 samples (20ms) recording at 44.1khz with no rig, nothing in the stomps or effects, and something around 1170 with a basic preset with a rig, a chorus in the stomps and a delay and rever in the effects.

This is what I have done: (BTW, I made my testings with an old drum machine which has a clear sidestick to see the sound wave generated.)

1) Drum machine connected to my lehle split II

2) One Lehle's output to the analog front input of the KPA

3) The other Lehle's output directly to an API Preamp which output I have recorded in track 4.

4) Already inside the kemper, I am using the analog main outputs, and the direct output with then Git analog signal

So, I have been recording at the same time the following tracks

Track 1 - Analog Main Output Left from KPA

Track 2 - Analog Main Output Right from KPA

Track 3 - Direct Output from KPA

Track 4 - Direct signal from my drum machine coming from one of the two Lehle's outputs. In this track I have set a buss (pre-fader mode) with the SPDIF signal of the Kemper.

Track 5 - (Stereo track) - I take the signal of the bus inserted in track 4 and I recorded that.

The result has been that...

Tracks 3 & 4 are completely in sync as expected. I mean the direct output coming from KPA, and the direct signal coming from my Lehle are completely in sync. Well... I can see maybe a half of sample of difference in the waveform. :)

Between Tracks 1 & 2 (Main KPA outputs) and Track 5 (SPDIF output) there is a difference of 169 samples 3,8ms at 44,1khz.

Between Tracks 1 & 2 and Track 3 or 4 there is a latency of 889 samples (20 ms) at 44.1khz using No rig, nor nothing in the stomps of effects, and 1170 samples (26ms) at 44.1khz using the amp and a cabinet, as well as a chorus in the stomp and a delay an rever in the effect section.

Maybe I'm so sensitive to lag, hehe But honestly, playing some eighth notes with guitar mute in a funky song becomes very hard with this amount of latency. I'm sure you understand me.

Finally if all else fails and you’ve tried these suggestions and everyone else’ suggestions try a factory reset on the Kemper itself and failing that getting in touch with the support team. Your Kemper should add no more latency than any other digital guitar fx unit or stomp.

I will try to reset the unit and check if something changes as Per suggested here, and I will let you know if that made the trick. But I am not sure this is the problem here.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks again for your help on this.

BTW, I have the Kemper operative system as well as the rig manager completely updated.

And remember this is a professional studio, and even any cable here is a Mogamy, VoVox or Monster Cable.

It make no sense all this amount of latency with a new hardware.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

sorry for the missing information. I am using SPDIF as input / output, but I have checked other options, including recording guitar going directly the Kemper input and going out to PT thru the Kemper direct output, but all of those ins / outs create more latency than the SPDIF protocol.

In addition, I'm not using CONSTANT LATENCY, because I have understood that it would introduce even more latency in the chain.

BTW, Lehle Split II does not enter any latency at all, ZERO latency. I have used many, many times in my set to record two amps at the same time with no latency at all. Everything is completely in sync if I do not use the kemper.

Finally, whatever digital hardware inserted in my configuration adds only around 8-11 samples of latency. I have several digital outboard gears connected in my system like a TC-6000, My own digital ADA converter, which I use all the time in my work, some digital pre-amps, and I can say that I have zero latency with them.

The only problem here is the Kemper. No matter I record digital, analog, whatever I have a huge latency. Many times, you can even note clearly that the first note that comes from guitar is even more delayed than the next one. It's funny! It's not constant! It works like a machine which starting the engine. So professionally talking, you can not play with them without going crazy with the delay between the different signals.

I have done as much tests as I could before posting anything here, because my only concern is if my unit is malfunctioning or is working as expected.

Could someone let me know if this behaviour is normal?

Any idea about how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I have been reading everything I have found about Kemper and its latency.

In the manual says that even setting the Constant Latency parameter to ON, the maximum latency should be something around 4.9ms- But actually, recording via spdif, the minimum latency I have got have been 343 samples, and that means 7.7ms, and it is with NO Stomps, No Rig, No effects, NO Nothing. But If I use some preset, even in the case it has just the rig on, I can have no less than 1252 samples, and that means 28,39ms.

I'm talking from a profesional studio with a very powerful Mac with 64 gigas of Ram, a ProTools HDX with two cards in its last version 2019.5, although just in case, I tried with two previous versions as well.

Many people says that no one can detect 343 samples of latency, but I have had recording today a profesional session guitarist in my studio that has got literally mad recording with the kemper. Fortunately I have recorded the clean signal as well, so I think I will be able to put them in sync taking in count the clean version.

My configuration is:

1) I'm recording with a sample rate of 44.1Khz and a buffer size of 128 samples.

2) Guitar goes to a Lehle Split II to split the signal in two signals. (Lehle does not ad latency at all)

3) One Lehle's output goes straight to ProTools and I record that clean guitar in a track.

4) Another Lehle's output goes to a real amp and its cabinet, then I record that signal in a separate track in ProTools.

5) I use the Kemper as an insert in track that has the direct input signal of the guitar, and I send that signal to another track (with a send) or sending the clean signal throughout a bus.

As a result I have got a clean version of the guitar perfectly in sync with the signal coming from the real amp / cabinet, and a minimum 343 samples delayed guitar coming from the Kemper. I say minimum, because normally I can have no less than 1252 samples of latency with just a rig and a compressor in the stomps.

Is it normal that amount of latency?

Is my Kemper unit bad?

It's pretty new, I bought it in Thomann around a month, maybe more, but I could not record with it until today.

Please, Any advise about how to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!