Posts by TomShields

The FX Loop Mix value in the Profiler?

100%.

I think I'm getting there. I believe the issue is that having two digital pedals in series that both A/D-D/A the original signal, combined with the Kemper FX loop doing its own A/D-D/A conversion, creates enough latency to be very audible. My Eventide pedals have a global setting for KILLDRY ON/OFF which, when set to ON, produces a 100% wet signal with none of the original analog input. The problem is that if I set KILLDRY to ON in the first pedal in the series, the second pedal has no analog signal to process. And for some weird reason setting the first pedal to pass the analog signal but not the second one does not produce the desired result. But so far I can get one pedal in the loop with no latency.

The Eventide pedals also have a setting for either DSP or RELAY (analog) bypass, and I'm trying to understand how that setting interacts with the KILLDRY setting.

Onward!

Hi, all.

I have two external effects pedals assigned to the FX Loop effect. Both are Eventide pedals (Timefactor & Modfactor). I run the pedals mono, through their left-mono outputs. These are digital pedals, not analog.

I hear obvious latency when engaging either / both pedals. It sounds like a slap echo, and a bit hollow. Not bad if that's what you want, but....

I have successfully run these two pedals through FX loops, also in mono, on analog amps with no audible latency.

I have tried the FX Loop in Pre and Post, and placing it both before and after the Stack section in the signal flow. While I do hear some audible differences, the latency remains. I can dial it out a little by reducing the FX Loop volume a bit, but that's not a perfect solution.

I'm thinking that this may be the inevitable result of both the external pedals and the Kemper doing their A/D to D/A conversions, serially, and that the latency adds up. I'm not exactly sure how the FX Loop is routed logically within the Kemper. In analog amps it's usually an insert between the preamp section and the power section (if I understand it correctly) but that may not be the case with the Kemper, or even really matter.

Thoughts? Thanks!

During a recent rehearsal my Mission expression pedal (which I use only as a WAH) failed by staying in the full-treble side of the sweep, but could be switched on and off.

After rehearsal, a glance through the hole in the body, under the pedal, revealed that the entire potentiometer had come loose - so the "rack" on the pedal could not contact the "pinion" on the potentiometer.

It's a simple fix to remove the bottom and re-attach. So simple, in fact, that a week later it failed again since I apparently put the locknut on the wrong side of things. 8o

Anyhow I now consider it a regular maintenance item.

Carry on!

Update:

I contacted Kemper customer support. Fortunately I had a few months left on my warranty. Long story short, they turned the Remote around in less than a work week!

Claude, my issue was exactly as yours: a loose screw behind the button that was preventing it from contacting the PCB. Also, since I reported that the remote seems to randomly respond slowly to bank changes (UP/DOWN buttons), they replaced the entire PCB as well.

Hats off to Kemper customer support!

The rig: Kemper PowerHead with Profiler Remote, with one Mission Engineering expression pedal connected to the remote.

I have the "Tuner" button mapped to a delay rather than the tuner. I've noticed lately that the rig seems to respond a little slowly to remote button pushes. Last night during a live performance the Tuner button stopped responding altogether; everything else was working OK. I rebooted the remote between songs to no effect.

Today I tried a little troubleshooting:

- Used a different CAT5E cable; no change

- Via Rig Manager I verified that I had not inadvertently locked the button

- Verified that I can toggle the delay function (to which the Tuner button is mapped) both from the Profiler Powerhead front panel, and from Rig Manager, but not from the remote

- Verified via Rig Manager that all software is up to date

So it seems it's down to a faulty pushbutton on the Profiler Remote, or something in the Remote firmware. Strange since this button is not one that I'm dancing on too often.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I built this from salvaged cabinet lumber and bits and pieces of retired sound reinforcement speakers. My total cost was well under $300. The speaker is a Celestion F12-X200. The only other parts I had to buy were the port and the rear jack plate. I built the cabinet from plans on Celestion's web site. It was an easy build.

It sounds loud, full and bright. I'm going to have to tweak my EQ settings, because I have been running my Kemper into a 2X12 (also homemade) loaded with 1 Celestion Silver Bell and 1 Celestion Blue (actually Ted Weber clones of these speakers). The cab sounded fine but was a little lacking on high end so I ended up pushing mids and highs to make up the difference. I definitely need to pull them back.

Anyhow, just wanted to share.

Thanks, y'all.

Yoda, I had downloaded the main manual and read the MIDI chapter; but I did not know there was a separate MIDI document. I have it now and it definitely fills out the parameter details.

Slateboy, very cool vid.

As a result of the discussion in this post: Small MIDI Controller for Profiler

I purchased a Yamaha MD-BT01 and downloaded a bluetooth-compliant MIDI controller app on my android tablet (MIDI Controller by Volcano Mobile).

And now I have no idea where to start with setting up the app. My (only) intended use for the MIDI controller is to change Profiler performances on the fly from my tablet, mounted on my mic stand. The purpose is to directly load a performance with the MIDI controller rather than using the Profiler Remote, Bank Up/Down and Slot buttons when switching performances between songs. My knowledge of / experience with MIDI is very very limited.

I don't expect anyone to know the ins and outs of this specific app but I imagine they're all pretty similar. Could I get a general overview of the process, and which parameters I need to concern myself with?

I know this is a vague ask and I appreciate whatever help y'all can offer. :thumbup:

Hi, All -

I've been on an unsuccessful hunt for a small, mic stand-mountable MIDI controller for my Profiler.

Here's the story.

I understand the underlying design principle of the Profiler for stage use is built around performances. To me, this means that a performance = a song or other discrete musical passage that has specific tonal / amp / verb / FX settings. So in theory I would build a set of performances corresponding to a set list, and simply scroll down one performance bank per song as the set is played.

My reality is that set lists last for about 1/2 of the first set then everything becomes a lot more ad hoc. So if someone called for a 4th set song to be played in the middle of the first set, I'd be furiously punching the UP / DOWN buttons to find that performance. It would be so much easier to just use a MIDI controller to punch in the appropriate performance call-up for each song without worrying about a specific order.

I already have a Rocktron MIDI Mate (dedicated to other stuff) and I could get another but I want to keep my floor footprint as small as possible. Something about the size of a small tablet or large smartphone, stand-mountable.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I did purchase a Celestion F12-X200 full-range speaker and will be building a cab for it as well. I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like.