Posts by alerich

I think the POE injectors are "intelligent" and supply the amount of power needed. So a short run would not require much or any, and I think the POE injector would not "oversupply" power. Somebody else please confirm or deny.

It's not like phantom power that hits 48v all the time.

The POE supplies a constant voltage and then devices downstream draw what ever current they need. Not so much intelligent but just the way voltage and current work. If you have a power supply that puts out 12VDC and can supply 20 amps of total current and you hook up a device that needs 12VDC and only draws 1 amp the other 19 amps of available current just sits there unused. It's actually very much like 48V phantom power. I suppose different mics draws different amounts of current depending on their size and circuitry.

For quite some time now I've used a powered QSC K8 (1000W class D) pretty light cab with a handle bar for my powered Profiler. A good cab but I guess not really intended to be used in combination with a profiler.

Says who? Lots of folks use powered cabinets similar to your QSC K8. I use two Yamaha DXR10 monitors. Love them. Have no interest in the Kemper Kabinet or the Kone. You cannot ask this question in the Kemper forum. All you're going to get is "Kemper Kab, Kemper Kab, Kemper Kab". Pose your question in a more neutral guitar forum and you might get a wider array of input.

I downloaded the Milkman pack and bought the Favorites pack. They're OK. The JCM800 sounded really good in the video and that's why I bought it. It's clearly my favorite of the pack but not my favorite among the JCM800 profiles I have. The others were kinda "meh" to me but I'm a high gain guy. I suspected going in that I probably wasn't going to be overwhelmed since I have never bonded with HW's profiles before and I have purchased a dozen of his packs (got most of them for $5 each when he was running sales) and they have never tripped my trigger. I like how Josh worked together with HW on this. I travel to Nashville regularly. I wonder if I could get Michael Britt to profile my Soldano Hot Rod 50? 8) I'll write this one off as $40 to support the Kemper community.

I traded for a powered Kemper toaster back in the spring of 2019. I used it with a few traditional guitar cabs at first and while I wasn't knocked out it seemed like it had promise. Researched FRFR options (no Kemper Kab/Kone back then) and settled on the Yamaha DXR10 based largely on a glowing review it got right here on the Kemper forums. Within a minute after I powered it up I was hooked. It was totally plug and play for me. No tweaks. No adjustments. I ordered a second DXR10 because I wanted a wider sound stage. I haven't looked back. Interestingly, the guy who recommended the DXR10 moved on to a Headrush FRFR and from there to the Kemper Kab. A buddy uses two Headrush 108 FRFR cabs that he raves about. I have never heard them in person but they get excellent reviews.

When I read threads like this I wish I had something constructive to offer but my experience was so completely different I don't know where to start. I don't even know how to tweak this thing. It really has been a plug and play experience for me.

I would kill to have my old Aria Pro II Les Paul Custom back!

We've all been there. I bought a new 1984 Gibson Explorer in May of 1984. Played it about 6 years and traded it away for something else. Over the years it became that one guitar that got away that I wish I had kept. In April of 2021 it showed up for repair in a little music shop in the town I used to live in. The shop owner is a friend who sent me a text about it. I offered the owner a bundle of cash and he accepted. 31 years later I got back "the one that got away". These stories don't happen often but it's a great feeling.

I took up the guitar in eleventh grade in the spring of 1977. Cheap pawn shop guitar just like the ones that are now "vintage" and commanding stupid money on Reverb and Craigslist. My first amp I hacked together using a cassette recorder and a 12" speaker I swiped from the old man's console stereo and mounted in a cardboard box. Kids learning guitar today don't know how easy they have it. Never took lessons. Wore out several copies of "Still Alive And Well" by Johnny Winter that summer trying to learn those licks. My stock answer when someone asks me how long I have been playing has always been "Long enough to be a whole lot better at it than what I am".

From the symptoms you describe and the photos above I would suspect that input jack. They are pretty generic as far as replacements go. If you own a soldering iron and are handy with soldering you might try simply reheating and reflowing the solder joints on that jack. You might simply have a cracked solder joint that makes an intermittent connection when the cable is inserted or removed. It has worked for me in the past on input jack connections as well as tube socket connections on board mounted tube sockets.

I primarily use paid profiles. Even then I purchased packs from a variety of sellers before I settled on one seller's profiles that worked for me. If I only had the factory profiles and the Rig Exchange profiles available to me I likely would have sold my Kemper within a month of getting it. As you can see from the responses there are many folks for whom the factory and Rig Exchange profiles work quite well. It's all a matter of personal preference. I've quit purchasing profiles after having settled into a handful that serve my needs well. It just takes some patience and a little trial and error to find what works for you. Sorta like shopping for a guitar or amp to find the right fit.

This is an experience that everybody complaining about the learning curve on a modeler/profiler should do. Studio 22, Mark II, Mark IV and LS....Mark IV was like the Rubik Cube...

I had a MK IIC+ combo with an EV speaker back in the late 80's early 90s. I stumbled upon a tone I could live with and never touched the controls again until I sold it. I bought a new and heavily discounted JP2C head in 2017 simply because it was so marked down I figured I could sell it to get my money back if it didn't sounded as amazing at home as it did in all the YouTube videos. It made me misty eyed for my MK IIC+. Largely collected dust for two years. I traded it for a mint Kemper powered toaster, remote and bag. Best gear deal I ever made in 45 years. Do not miss those Boogies.

As far as Rhett is concerned, he's complaining that the device won't do what the device was not intended to do. I've seen a fair amount of his content. You have to wonder sometimes "Is Rhett Still Worth It In 2022?". I used to watch a lot of these YouTube presenter videos until I realized that most of them are just shills for the manufacturers and honestly none of these guys would be on anyone's radar if it were not for YouTube. It's hard to find a video from any of them of a new product they don't like. In this case, Rhett is not and has never been a Kemper guy. Life goes on.

I wouldn't call it overrated - it just doesn't seem to matter much to most guitar players. YouTube is glaring evidence of that. I've always put a premium on it. Tried to learn all the little maintenance stuff I could about nuts and bridges and frets to help the guitar stay in tune. Then you have to learn to tune to your playing style and learn how to play the instrument in tune. I have an old school Peterson 450 strobe tuner that I have had since the late 80s. I have found the Kemper strobe tuner to be so reliable I use it for everything now including setting intonation.

All that goes out the window if your guitar parts are buried under bass and keys and sax.

My gigging days were far behind me long before I ever got my Kemper but I feel your pain. Most days I play in bare feet or only wearing socks and it works OK but I wear a size 12/13 shoe. I have often pondered how I would ever use the remote in a live situation. The bottom row of buttons works alright but changing stomps would be a struggle. If I start to play with shoes on they immediate come off. I guess I would have to play barefoot.

Yes, you can. I use a short six foot generic ethernet cable for my rig for home use and it works fine. Shorter is actually probably better since the remote is powered by the USB connection and a shorter cable has less wire and resistance.

I got my Kemper powered toaster and foot controller in Spring of 2019 before RM was released. I operated the unit in Browser mode exclusively. Never used the Performance mode. After RM now I use it in Performance mode pretty much exclusively. Performances are so easy to set up in RM - just drag and drop (it helps that I have two monitors). Even setting up new profiles that I download or buy with the effects the way I want them is a breeze in RM. I have never done any deep dives into the extensive capabilities of this device (and probably won't since my needs do not require it) but I would have barely scratched the surface without RM.

The there's the phenomenon of sound checking in an empty room versus playing in a room full of people. Once I learned how to do the former in anticipation of the latter my gigging life got much better. We never played rooms with a house PA. Always carried our own. We could play two consecutive weekends in the same room. Sound check the second weekend sounded like dookie. "Don't touch it". By 10pm it sounded fine.

Wanna know who I trusted the most for advice about the mix and the FOH sound? The band wives. They were there every weekend, they knew what the band should sound like and they could relay what they were hearing in plain English. Rarely did I trust the ears of some random Budweiser swilling patron.

Boy, how I wish I had a Kemper way back then.

Once you get your head wrapped around that you are listening to a "live amp" but in the "control room" It's fine.

That's the bottom line right there. When you fire up "Back In Black" by AC/DC Angus doesn't suddenly appear in your room wailing away on a JTM 45. What you are listening to is a great amp, well miked, recorded, mixed and mastered. The same concept applies with the Kemper. Once you can wrap your head around that concept the Kemper makes sense. Spinning your wheels trying to completely replicate the device it replaced is pointless and an exercise in futility.

Curious, which ones do you use?

Yamaha DXR10. Mine are the original ones. They now have a MKII series but I don't know what the difference is. They look identical to mine and I think the specs are the same except for the price. Mine were $600 each. The MKII sells for $795. They got rave reviews across the board on the interwebs but Ingolf's in depth review and recommendation here in the forums led me to pull the trigger. Bought the first one and loved it and immediately bought a second to spread out the sound stage a little. I use them as floor wedges angled up at me. This is the rig and the tone I have been seeking for over 40 years.