Posts by 7enderbender

So - here we are. I bought a Kemper Kabinet and just first pass going through a few of my favorite Deluxe Reverb and Mesa profiles with a few of the available imprints sounds great in the room (compared to my active monitors I’ve been using). Doesn’t change the sound that goes to PA - all great and as designed. Will require tweaking of each of my individual patches by selecting an appropriate imprint.

So far so good. Not totally unexpectedly the issues start with my acoustic (which I’ve been playing a lot lately and I like to run it live through the Kemper with a patch that is tweaked for my J45 and the needed effects and to make things easier on the sound guy and myself. One channel or stereo that covers it all from my corner).

Problem is that a) the acoustic doesn’t sound as good through the Kemper Kabinet compared to even a cheap pair of Mackies b) there is still a sound difference between “cab off” and “cab on with imprint set to full range” - which is not a problem really but weird (cab off sounds more full range). c) given the mid range hump of the Kone the thing becomes more feedback prone

On the fence if this is 500 bucks well spent or if I should send it back and keep my setup as I’ve had it for a few years now. It’s lighter and specifically some of the Deluxe Reverb profiles sound great. The rest is a bit meh.

There is a link to download these profiles in the video description. You need to log in/create an account and log in to download it. They sound great on an electro-acoustic guitar with piezo pickups. I recommend.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

to

Clarify: I’m happy with the patches I created for my Gibson J45 (Anthem pickup, so it’s partially mic’s). I don’t need profiles for that. My question was merely how well the Kabinet does with an acoustic guitar ; basically functioning as a flat EQ monitor, no imprints for guitar speaker.

I have a power head that so far I’ve been mostly using through a PA, sometimes with a small Mackie monitor attached to hear myself.
    Most patches are for assorted electric guitars, everything works great and as designed. Sound guys and audiences have always been happy and I like the amount of control I retain over my stage sound. This also works great with my acoustic. I just plug in with the same cable as with the electric and I have a patch for my J45 with all amp/EQ/cab Settings turned off on the stack section - basically using the Kemper as an active DI box but with full access to effects. Sounds great and no need to run a separate channel for acoustic.

Now I’m considering getting the Kemper Kabinet for a series of gigs with a trio for better room stage sounds for the electric and for easier use during practice (no PA for that). How will the acoustic sound through the Kabinet? Comparable to a full range monitor? Better? More limited in the frequencies? Again, technically I’m not using a profile for the acoustic; bypassing the stack (never found an actual acoustic profile I liked and the direct output from my guitar with an Anthem pickup works best).

I’m sure the Kabinet is an improvement for in-the-room-sound with my electrics. Majority of upcoming shows will be acoustic, so I’m on the fence if I’m wasting my money at this point.

So I've been using my Kemper for a few years now very successfully and it works perfectly within the context of my current country/pop/rock band where things are about polished production and making sure the singer sounds her best. Not to say that I sometimes don't miss my Boogie rig to the side of me (still have it all) but it's just so much easier, predictable - and lighter. And it supports my acoustic guitar in a great way also. One signal to FOH and done.

Now, it's starting to act up a bit lately and doesn't always power up all the way. Could be something with the connection to the remote. So I think it needs to go in for service.

That said, I think it's time for a backup. The Stage comes to mind given the form factor. I rarely use the power amp section TBH, so I'd be ok either way.

Question: I know there are some slight differences in the software. How easy is it to keep a head and Stage in sync? Can I use a backup on a USB stick form the head and just upload it to the Stage? What would be different and needs manual tweaking?

In performances the rigs are stored separately from Browsemode. You can delete all rigs in Browse without loosing your performances.

Thank you! I know I should now be digging into the manual. Any quick and safe way of doing this? Do I do that on the Toaster or in Rig Manager?

I'm looking to clean up my Kemper I somehow have over 700 rigs loaded and only use x amount (not sure where I can see how many "rigs" are actually in my 13 "performances" that I use live.

Other than trying to "favorite" them all one by one is there a simple way to get rid of everything I'm currently not using?

I have a Tele and a strat - no surprise, one is brighter than the other. I want to make use of all of my rigs regardless of which guitar I am playing, without having to endlessly tweak the eq's. I dont want to get into categorizing my rigs per each guitar either. I wonder how you guys handle this? I'd love if there was some global switch that allowed me to apply an eq tweak as necessary, kind of as a global approach?

I suppose I could throw an EQ stomp in with the preset I need to tame things a bit, then just hit the pedal to engage as necessary - just wondering if there isn't slicker way to go? I know you guys... there must be a slicker way!

Thanks!

I actually use various guitars specifically BECAUSE they sound differently. That said, some of the guitars are fine tuned (pickups and wiring) to be not really that far apart. I prefer slightly hotter strat pickups so I don't have any "ice pick" issues, while for example my Les Paul is clearly on the brighter side. Still looking to add a Tele at some point soon to add another flavor.

Is it the display that’s sluggish or the actual audio changing from preset to preset?

Both. Audio is delayed, visual cues even more (both screen and LED). All this is in performance mode. I have no use for browser mode. All with the Kemper Remote. I'm not using other midi signals with the Kemper at this point

how are you switching between rigs in Perform mode?

[EDIT: responded to the wrong thread here but this may still be relevant, since I essentially have a similar issue]

Not sure if I understand the question. I have set up several "banks" of five, usually consisting of a few amps. Pardon my terminology but the idea of "performances" and "rigs" never fully sunk in with me since I'm using the Kemper the same way I use my Mesa Boogie rack or other things I'm used to and control via midi.
    So my first "bank" for instance has a Boogie Mark IV in the first two slots, a Lone Star on 3, a Deluxe Reverb clean on four and a Triaxis Lead sound on 5. Next banks have variations of that. Switching from 1 to 2 (both Mark IVs) is as slow as going to the Lonestar rig. Again, all this with a powered head and the remote.
    All this used to be a bit quicker I think. The delay in changing sounds is actually a bit less than the visual changes of LEDs and LCD text on both the Remote and the Kemper itself.

I've noticed that my powered head (current software) has become somewhat sluggish with changing presets via the remote. What's the best way to troubleshoot and is there a fix? Same with two different cables, no USB cable or SPDF attached. I may have a few too many profiles in it by now and I'm not even using that many. So I'm sure I could clean that up but even there I'm not sure what's the best way of doing it. I know there is a way to clear what's not a "favorite" but I don't have favorites set.

I'm kind of having the same problem. The delay when switching on my toaster via the Remote is not so much that the audio is delayed (a little but I can live with that), but that the led and the screen take even longer to load. That used to be faster/almost instant. I'm not sure if it's time to clean up the rigs (or if that even does anything) or if something else is going on. Same with two different cables between Kemper and Remote. Just ran the latest update and no difference.

I used my ToneDexter to create some really nice acoustic images of my J45 and it sounded really beautiful. Then, I made a Kemper profile of the pedal and it was, virtually, identical. I found that it sounded the most like the Tone Dexter when I didn't refine the sound at all. One pass and it was identical and sounds beautiful like I have a mic on my guitar. The only thing you might have to do is use the parallel path to blend in a little bit of your direct signal to cut in a busy band mix. Solo or rootsy players could probably use it as is. It's almost too warm and pretty, if that makes sense. It definitely doesn't sound like an under saddle pickup quacking anymore. Crazy stuff.

Did you upload those profiles to the exchange by any chance? I have a J45 coming my way and I’m looking to see how close I can get to a “natural” sound with the standard LR Baggs System it comes with and my Kemper (as opposed to buying a Tone Dexter, Aura and/or upgrading the LR Baggs to an Anthem).
    I already have a few acoustic profiles that work surprisingly well with my current cheap Ibanez acoustic.

Did anyone ever find out the sizes of the screws, in particular the one for the handle? Mine just came lose and I can’t get it all the way in to actually fully grip.
    It seems too short frankly. It works just fine without the knob/washer.
    I’ll go to the hardware store tomorrow to get a longer one (there is room behind the inner wall - I checked). I’m guessing M5?