Posts by jstoffel

I've been thinking about this general idea for a while now. Born from the idea of theoretically profiling an amp at every possible setting, and then mapping each individual profile to the knobs, so each time you move a knob (volume, gain, EQ, etc.) you are switching to a different profile with those actual setting. Of course, profiling an amp in every possible setting would be madness and probably more than any computer could handle, but it would amazing if Kemper could let people create, say, 5 profiles with different settings and then linking those settings with the knobs on the KPA and then use an algorithm to kind of connect the dots between different settings. It's a lot easier to estimate what the treble would sound like at 5 if you know what it sounds like at 3 and at 7.

Maybe we'll get this fancy merging feature on the Kemper 2... if that ever gets released

I’ve seen a ton of hate for Pure Cab across Kemper forums. I feel like every time someone has a post saying “what’s wrong with my tone?,” the first responses are always “is Pure Cab on?”

I’ve always avoided it, but I just started playing around with it… and it’s doing something to my tone that I am actually loving! It’s taking that shrill, digital sounding high-end right off.

Why exactly? How does it work? What is it doing?

A standard B/M/T/P doesn’t cut it (pun!) sometimes for precise EQing, but I also don’t like having to use an entire fx slot to add an extra EQ in

All the EQ stomps should just be added to the Amp block, so the user can choose whichever type of EQ he/she would like, right in the profile settings

We can keep them as stomps too, if someone wants to go crazy, but I’d kill to have the 7 band eq or a graphic eq built right into the profile’s Amp block

I’ve got a stereo fx loop in the last stomp slot (reverb slot?) and in the fx loop are my timeline and big sky, sunning stereo. Then I’m running stereo out of my Kemper into my Focusrite. I usually just run the Focusrite through Logic and then into my studio monitors. However, sometimes if I’m too lazy to boot up my computer, I’ll just flip the “direct monitor” switch on my Focusrite, and run directly into my studio monitors, no DAW

I’ve noticed that when I run through a DAW, my reverb and delay are way more prevalent in the mix, and if I mute the DAW and just run through the “direct monitor” they get quieter. My guitar volume is the same, but these effects change their levels in my mix and it’s tripping me out. How is this possible? It’s not a HUGE issue, I just want to make sure if I have to dial in a very precise delay or verb, I get it right

Any thoughts?

I think you're kind of missing the point here. I agree that after 5 different EQ's in your chain, you might as well find a different profile. But, it's not so much about adding yet another EQ option, but rather reorganizing the interface so that we can consolidate all of our EQ options to the dedicated EQ block. Mainly, so we don't tie up a potentially valuable fx block with an EQ

+1

I was thinking about this the other day. I get that the traditional "Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence" is how traditional amps work, but honestly, it would be amazing for them to just put all the EQs into that section. Why limit the EQ block just because that's the way tube amps look?

Maybe give us the choice of what EQ we want to use in the amp block. If someone want the traditional 4-knob EQ, then they can select that. If someone wants a more robust EQ, then they can select that. No sense in filling up an extra slot with an EQ, especially if I'm not even using the EQ in the amp block.

I can only offer my personal experience with my iPad. I got it about a year ago (so I think it’s just one model old) and it’s the cheap version out there. $300, I think

App works flawlessly. Quick and responsive. Definitely not an app that you need a Pro to run well

FINAL UPDATE

Fixed the cable going into my timeline, which solved half the issue. However, since I had turned off the entire “Effects” grouping in my amp, I didn’t know that the REAL issue was that I had also plugged my direct out cable into the monitor out jack on the back of the amp. So then, one I switched the Effects group back on, and the stereo loop with it, I was met with the loudest, highest pitched squeal I have ever heard. It was so loud and high that I pulled a muscle in my stomach and had the most painful abominably Charlie horse ever. I feel on the floor and just yanked out whatever cables I could reach until it stopped.

Finally, I turned the amp around and realized I had plugged in my Direct Out cable in Monitor Out.

I hate myself

No idea what the hell is going on here. Turned my Kemper on tonight to hear this awful ringing and squealing. My guitar wasn’t coming through whatsoever. Weirdest part is, when I switch to Browser mode, everything’s fine. No more ringing, and my guitar comes through fine

I update to the new firmware today, but if it was a beta issue, I can’t imagine I would be the first one to bring something like this up

please help

edit. Just reset my entire unit (not sure why I waited so long. Still not working, but there was a small window of no squeal and working guitar, when the amp first turned on, but it quickly cut out and started squealing

Can someone ELI5 how exactly the poe injector works? I currently have my Rack plugged into my normal home router (just a crappy Spectrum one, I’ll buy a new one to put in my rack case once I figure out how it all works) and I also my remote plugged into another port on the same router, with no luck.

I assume the router I’m using does not have poe because the remote is not turning on. If I buy a poe injector, do I just plug that somewhere in the Ethernet chain from my router to my remote (and plug the injector into the wall)?

Essentially: Router > Injector > Remote?

Don’t get me wrong, I love ToneJunkie’s stuff and have been using a lot of profiles. However, I was doing an EQ Match in Logic with iZotope, and found that a lot of the profiles were just missing a lot of high end presence. Am I the only one?

Of course, there are a million variables to getting EQ to match an studio recording, even if your using the same amp as in the recording. Also, I would need like a 50 band EQ on board the Kemper to match these recordings “perfectly.” But even still, I found a lot of profiles to be lacking presence or have too beefy of a low end. I feel like no frequency ranges really POP!

Specifically, I am playing his Blackface Fenders, and they’re good, just dark. If I kick the Presence up to 5, though, all of a sudden I get that SRV chime from the neck and middle pups. I also gave a whirl to his Dumble Steel String Singer, which was nice, but again, it didn’t have that POP in the high end.

I posted something else about this yesterday, kind of. I’m fine having to tweak the profile EQ, but I don’t like making drastic changes. Whether or not this is true, part of me feels like it’s destroying the integrity of the profile.

So, the title basically says it all, but I’ll tell you where I’m at. I started using iZotope Ozone EQ Match, to match my tone to the clean intro of SRV’s Little Wing. As I’m sure you’re familiar with the song, you know it is BRIGHT, lots of presence. I’m playing through my Suhr Classic S, playing through ToneJukies cleanest and brightest profiles of the Dumble Steel String Singer and a Blackface Vibroverb So my gear is as right as it can be, but damn the EQ Match makes the regular EQ sound so dark and flat. Of course ToneJunkie probably didn’t have the EQ set to Little Wing when they profiled it.

All that to say, to get my EQ even close to what it needs to be to sound Like the recording and my EQ Match, i head to literally adjust the Presence all the way, and I feel a little weird. Tbh, I’m not sure why. I guess in my mind I’m subconsciously thinking that this is “ruining” the integrity of the profile?

Does anyone feel kinda weird making extreme changes to the EQ of their profiles?

I double checked the cables. I switched between 1/4-inch and XLR. I swapped inputs on my interface. Nothing

Cables all work. I get the same issue with 1/4-inch and XLR, and both input on my interface are working just fine.

I just noticed it this morning right after I updated to 8.2.2.28738. That's gotta be it right? I was just at practice last night, running XLR-out and I definitely would have noticed if the left side was silent. And, since it happens with both 1/4-inch and XLR, its gotta be a software thing, yeah? That makes the most sense at least

Any help would be great. For now, I am going to try to figure out how to downgrade my OS

I double checked the cables. I switched between 1/4-inch and XLR. I swapped inputs on my interface. Nothing

Cables all work. I get the same issue with 1/4-inch and XLR, and both input on my interface are working just fine.

I just noticed it this morning right after I updated to 8.2.2.28738. That's gotta be it right? I was just at practice last night, running XLR-out and I definitely would have noticed if the left side was silent. And, since it happens with both 1/4-inch and XLR, its gotta be a software thing, yeah? That makes the most sense at least

Any help would be great. For now, I am going to try to figure out how to downgrade my OS

EDIT: I am ashamed... one of my quarter inches was ever-so-slightly unplugged from my Big Sky and was the source of the ENTRIE problem. I'm an idiot, and now I can't figure out how to delete this post, so I will just have to wallow in my embarrassment for all of eternity. Happy Friday, my friends