Posts by ConradK

Hey ConradK , how's the honeymoon? ?

Hey bud

Still loving this unit !

I’m Still finding myself trying a new profile and then an hour later, I find , I’m still just jamming.

Preferring the sound of my creamback loaded guitar cab behind me and my 10” alto speaker to monitor in front of me.

I couldn’t use this alto speaker Alone for all profiles. My ears like the FRFR sound on clean profiles but I’m not a huge fan of THIS FRFR with higher gain profiles.

I have another band rehearsal tomorrow evening, so I’ll get to tweak my profiles at volume and try direct to PA - I’ll revert on my thoughts, after this.

Overall I am still ecstatic at the range of sounds and tweakability of this unit. I found a jazz profile the other day and was playing squeaky clean blues for about an hour before I realised - “woh I’m playing with almost zero gain And it sounds FANTASTIC!!” (I’m an old classic rock rocker) This to me is the sign of a good amp - I’m playing not endlessly tweaking. One immediate thing I’ve noticed on the kemper versus helix is the headroom. I could never get on with the helix or boss gt100 as I found they had zero headroom. The kemper does not have this issue.

Looking forward to the new OS update and trying out more FRFR solutions (in the future)

Right now I’m just loving being a guitar player with a kemper !! I haven’t been on the forum as I’ve been playing guitar !!

How you getting on?

2x12 hoffnine vertical 2x12 with creambacks

Haven’t tried my orange - greenback loaded cab with the kemper yet as I find greenbacks to be good at rock and that’s it!

Tried a v30 with creamback recently and was reminded how much I do not like v30’s - there is a mid spike , in them which bothers my ears.

To the OP if you mix a v30 and creamback it’s a good combination as the mid spike of the v30 helps cut through the mix but from memory it’s about 3db louder than the creamback so you need to position correctly / to suit your preference

All good chaps

Valves and the kemper can live side by side. It’s nice to be able to own both.

I love the sound of each valve amp I own.

The (81) Jcm800 1959 SLP - (cranked) is THE sound of classic rock and roll. its Instant T REX , ac/dc etc - and you simply cannot perfectly replicate that visceral bone shaking sound , with any other modeller (or valve amp) - only a Jcm800 sounds like this, CRANKED!

BUT

- No venue I have ever played in would allow these volumes

- yes you can attenuate but it changes the tone

- the Bass gets flubby so you need an eq pedal or boost pedal to tighten it up

- noise gate

- delay pedal

- mike and mike stand to mike it up

- and eventually your gig rig requires 6 trips to the car on a pub stage the size of one of my bedrooms!

Lastly - different venues mean different power output and valve Amps sound different night to night ! It’s Very frustrating ! My other valve amps are exactly the same.

So whilst the kemper Jcm800 profiles will NEVER match the bone shaking (and I mean this literally) visceral tone my real Jcm800 can - (its not meant to , as the kemper reproduces The “recorded tone” ) and even if kemper somehow managed to recreate the “amp in the room” sound - I simply cannot see anything faithfully reproducing the experience of playing an old plexi - Jcm800 (at full volume) - it’s simply not possible!

BUT the kemper is a good enough reproduction of a recorded Jcm800 tone (FOR ME) and given that I own both I don’t HAVE to choose what’s “better” I get to use both , when applicable.

Example : If ever I got to play a classic rock gig where I was only playing classic rock covers and volume was not an issue (yes I know even very large stages mike up - but let’s IMAGINE) I would take the Jcm800 - no question about it.

But as : nearly every festival or gig I have played mikes up AND is always subject to volume restrictions AND requires a mix of different types of covers and originals - i would take the kemper.

I love :

1) the portability,

2) monster array of sounds (it’s really inspired my originals songwriting )

3) that it’s the ONLY modeller I have EVER used , which I actually like the sound of through headphones.

4) that the profiles I tweak through headphones sound great when played through my guitar cab.

5) programmability

6) consistency of sound at low and high volumes

Isn’t it great that we don’t HAVE to choose !

I think we are all on the same page. WHAT A GREAT TIME TO BE A GUITARIST

Thanks for the warm welcome and debate - healthy debate is good!

I hear you amd understand exactly what you are saying. This is not my first rodeo though.

Having owned a very large range of valve amps in the past - my comparison tones are pretty clear.

I still own a 1959 slp jcm 800 Marshall from 81. I have Jcm800 profiles from mike Britt and TAF etc. Is the kemper identical - no - but they are “close enough” (considering this is a digital amplifier) - yes.

More importantly are the the Jcm800 profiles close to the recordings on which my “head tone” is based on?

Identical - (no) but god enough to warrant the continued use of the kemper based on portability and flexibility for amateur gigging use.

I have kept 3 valve amps and a full analogue pedalboard - so that it’s never a MUST HAVE choice between the two. Different horses fir different courses.

Thanks for the welcome

Gush away. I am with ya.. I am still new with my Kemper too (close to two months) and someone here tried to insult me by calling me a fanboy... Hahahaha. I took that as a compliment. I am a fanboy. ? While he and some others continue to fight about other gear they are trying to promote or whatever, I am 100% happy with my Kemper and have been on a writing and jamming spree.. I spent many years as a tube guy that when this toy/amazing tool came into my life, it changed everything... I was and still am flabbergasted. Kemperfide and bonafide..

got the new kemper this week and all seems to be good - no more freeze behaviour!

Was playing earlier today and couldn’t help but feel I had finally found - “the secret key” to good tone!

I Feel like I have found this “secret” which others are missing out on ! Others are continually searching for their “head tone” using one valve amp and a “head” reference tone based on the amp in the room sound - This is simply NOT possible unless you only have ONE perfect tone, in your head and it is based on an “amp in the room sound”

I’m running my alto ts210 (it’s a 210 and not a 212 as previously stated - my error! ) and a (1x12 creamback loaded cab) and I am a seriously happy man.

I am finding my “head tones” and can’t believe it! Sorry to gush like this but it’s true ! I am an experienced performer (not good but experienced) and I'm simply stunned!

I am Also so happy that the reference tones I set last night (using Sony MDR headphones ) sounded bloody fantastic, when I auditioned them through my cabs today!!! This is a first !!! Normally I set my tones using headphones and they require MAJOR tweaking !! Not so with this set up !!

Really not sure

but will know this week, as the new one arrives tomorrow.

I’ll play it unplugged for a week and then play plugged (into another pc with rig manager) and see if it repeats the behaviour.

couldn't afford to take a chance with such an expensive piece of equipment

Yes it seems to occur with and without rig manager connected although when the last two freezes happened when :

Rig manager was connected via my laptop but the laptop was In sleep mode

It seems to happen when I am browsing rigs using the browse knob - it suddenly freezes and then I can actually turn the chicken knob off and the Unit stays on for another - 5/8 seconds or so

It’s happened enough times that I’m returning the unit - I sent a video of the problem to Andertons who sent onto kemper , I believe

I bought a brand new powered toaster and remote three weeks ago and it’s done the same thing several times.

I have the latest software loaded.

My kemper is always connected to my laptop and this error happens when I am browsing rigs. The screen freezes and the remote loses connection. In this state - I can turn the chicken knob to the off position and the unit still stays on. After about 5 seconds it then switches off. It’s done it enough times - that I’m exchanging the unit.

I have a replacement due next Tuesday so I’ll let you guys know how I get on. Of the new one does it - I’ll unplug the laptop and see if the behaviour repeats.