Posts by ConradK

ConradK,

I'm new to the Kemper too, and probably have a similar background. I've been playing Electric guitar for a little over 30 years and I have more great tube amps and guitars than I can give sufficient attention to. I bought the Kemper because I play in a situation that is striving to drastically reduce stage volume. We have an off stage amp/cab room and run tube amps to cabs in the amp room, so I can run my amps as loud as I want to run them, but I still have the monitoring issue of monitoring my off stage mic'd cab.

So, I thought why not try a solution like the Kemper. It really is a very useful tool to have in the tool box and it easily does some things that are really difficult to do with a traditional amp. I'm not getting rid of my other amps, but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Kemper either:) In my short stint with the Kemper my favorite commercial profiles have been MBritt and The Amp Factory. Tone Junkie has some cool stuff too, and you can get a bunch of profiles from them for free, which is a good way to sample their stuff and see what you like. The Amp Factory has a free rig pack in Rig exchange also, give it a try. I have bought all of their Hiwatt profiles, but there are a few free ones in the free rig pack. They sound great for hard rock stuff, and are pretty spot on to my ear compared to Hiwatts I've played in the past. They are a nice addition to the Marshall profiles with the type of sounds you described in your original post.

thanks buddy - I’ll try that tomorrow - SOOOO MANY good profiles - soooo little time !

I managed to get my FRFR speaker sounding great today - ( low cut to 75hz and high cut at 5000hz ) to simulate the frequency response of my creamback - LOVING IT, now!!!!

Never understood frequency roll offs of guitar speakers - now that I do , it’s made a WORLD of difference as my ears are in familiar territory. I’ll start expanding the top end once my ears settle completely into the FRFR thing.

CLR TO follow !!

There are a bunch of great profiles in the free MBritt rig profiles in the rig exchange. Try out the 79 JMP. I have used that profile to make my favorite rig so far. With the gain rolled down to about 10 or 11 on the dial it does Malcolm Young Rhythm tone to a T with a Filtertron equipped guitar and volume rolled back a bit. I've never been able to achieve his sound very well but with that profile and very little tweaking it is there in spades. It sounds phenomenal and I've been playing it non stop for about a week with a big stupid grin on my face.

Two other stand outs that I've found (at least to my ear) in that free pack are the /13-39 profile and the Little Water 22. They are both just fantastic.

HEY All

Thanks for the add!

My name is Conrad and i am based in the UK. I play originals and covers and have played live for the last 5 years. Main axes are les paul gibson traditional (PEARLY GATES PUPS) and the very first guitar i ever owned - a Mexican strat which i have changed EVERYTHING on! I have owned a serious amounts of amps in my time (as i am an AMP guy - some guys are guitar guys - i'm an amp guy)

Still own:

1) a 1959 JCM 800 (from 81) 100 watt head (the good one),

2) a Victory V130

3) a Victory Sheriff 44.

I own several cabs with different speaker combinations and had too many analogue pedals to list. I have tried modelling in the past (Helix, pod and plug ins - S gear) BUT HAVE NEVER BEEN IMPRESSED ENOUGH TO DITCH MY VALVE AMPS AND i have always returned to them! I have been playing for over 20 years and love all things rock, classic rock and blues rock.

Bought the kemper (powerhead toaster and remote) a week ago and have been trying it with my guitar cab (creamback 65) and an alto TS212. I have read the entire manual three times, and bought some good profiles (M Britt and Top Jimi) BUT I thought i would use this thing for at least two weeks before i posted. Yes i am still in the honeymoon period but i am comfortable enough to now commit my views to writing.

I was initially impressed with the Kemper BUT NOT BLOWN AWAY. That was until i found M Britts FREE JCM800 profile and the FREE fender vibrolux profile!! JESUS this thing has BLOWN ME AWAY!!!!! Both profiles sound EXCELLENT through the guitar cab and Alto (both at low and high volumes !!) Those classic rock sounds we all grew up on are NOW AT MY FINGERTIPS!! No tweaking , no messing about - I HAVE LED ZEP TONES AT MY FINGERTIPS finally!!! . I have the BEST TONE I HAVE HAD IN 20 YEARS!!

I have now realised that MY REFERENCE TONE (the one in my head) has been based on those classic guitar recordings, i grew up with! I have spent thousands of pounds and hours of my life chasing those tones - ONLY TO REALISE i needed to hear those tones as they were created (RECORDED THROUGH A MICROPHONE AND GUITAR CAB!!) I am beaming from ear to ear this morning, as i have been learning good times bad times and the tone is AWWESOOOOOME!!!!!

I packed all my valve amps away today !! I have also sold most of my analaogue pedals (with no sellers regret!) .

This is an INCREDIBLE amp (i'm not even going to call this a modeller as it is WAY ahead of any real valve amp i have played!! )

If you cannot get good tone out of this amp - then i do not think you'll ever achieve the "tone in your head" This thing is the most tweakable bit of technology i have every come across. IT IS BETTER THAN A TRADITIONAL VALVE AMP as you can tweak every conceivable parameter UNTIL you find the tone you are looking for!! Clean tone not bright enough? : brighten it up! Tone too bright? (darken it up!) - Got a frequency bothering your ears? - record your guitar into the looper - let it play and simply sweep the frequency range until you find the offending frequency! As has been suggested on this forum countless times - THE PROFILE MAKES all the difference - i will find myself a maximum of 10 profiles i like and will tweak these until they work FOR MY EARS. I will then DELETE EVERYTHING ELSE.

I know i have bought a good piece of kit when all i do is PLAY! With the helix i spent weeks trying to find a tone my ears liked. With the Kemper i find myself trying a profile and an hour later i'm still playing, that profile ! THIS IS THE POINT!! I hated the Line 6 pod and Helix BECAUSE I LANDED UP PLAYING SO LITTLE AND TWEAKING ENDLESSLY

This valve amp purist is CONVERTED!!! Thanks to those who helped me when i asked for workflow suggestions.

Yes agreed - I spent some time dialling in the alto today and I AM A CONVERT!!!!

Tried this with the helix and hated it!!

To get a good sound : I used

Low and high cuts

Definition control

Clarity

Low and high shifts

Boosted the mids and

Got a glorious tone out of the Morgan ac 20 profile -

Added the soft shaper for chorus and lead sounds - just beautiful

I Found that I needed to use a cabinet I was familiar with (creambacks)

I initially got the altos frequency range close to that of my usual guitar cab.

Once I had that dialled in, my ears were happy (as I was in familiar territory)

I then opened up the frequency ranges and can now see the benefits of using and FRFR system! You have SOO MUCH more available to you! I’m no longer JUST using a creamback speaker - I can audition and use ALL the others - just beautiful !

Once settled on your sounds, start organizing in performance mode and check out morphing for boosts for riffs and solos :).

I would also focus on a good sound via your PA first as you will want to run it direct into the FOH - no miking!!

Most profiles that sound good through FRFR sound good into a cab, but not necessarily the other way round - traditional cabs mask duff profiles.

Thanks mate - I’ve been using a guitar cab but have got a couple good sounds of out the alto ts112 as well. I need to use low cuts on the alto this week and next step is direct to pa. We rehearsed this evening and my band mates said it’s the best I’ve ever sounded!

Not sure I understand this Paul - but I think I did it anyway? !

it arrived today - I plugged the “speaker out “ into my guitar cab and disabled the “monitor out “ using the “output “ button. I’m using a 1x12 creamback loafed cab and It Sounded bloody fantastic tbh !

I’m trying FRFR tomorrow by connecting “monitor out” of the kemper using a normal guitar (instrument) cable to the input of my alto ts112

Is this what you meant

I’m busy reading the manual and watching the online videos as I type as I realise what a POWERFUL tool I have just bought!

Hi all

I have a powered toaster and footswitch due in tomorrow. I’m a Traditional valve guy but I have dabbled with the helix and other digital solutions in the past. I play at home and live - mix of music from blues, blues rock to hard rock. Les Paul traditional and strat as main axes .

I own:

1) my own pa

2) tradional guitar cabs

3) alto ta112 (powered)

4) thomson the box 115 wedge (powered)

I have :

1) Downloaded latest rig manager and imported purchase profiles.

2) Downloaded latest kemper software

3) Bought the michael Britt crank n go pack

4) bought a couple top jimi profiles

5) downloaded all manuals

What would you suggest in terms of workflow ? By this I mean : how do I get making good sounds as quickly as possible without suffering “paralysis by analysis”

Specifically :

I prefer a guitar cab sound so I’ll try that first using : kemper into guitar cab :

1) merged profile less the “cab” ?

Then I’ll try :

1) connect kemper to the line out of the alto (as it’s powted) and try the FRFR solution.

Then try :

1) kemper to outputs of the mixing desk, using xlr (as once again the kemper is powered - so according to manual this is the route?) and connect to alto (as above) to monitor sound.

Hopefully this is an efficient process ?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Looking VERY forward to working with this unit !