Posts by ljholland

Looping is almost an instrument in itself. It takes practice. Even seasoned looping performers sometimes flub a loop.

The process above explains how to get into the groove. I would also add that you should be doing a couple of passes playing and START the loop as the END of your phrase and END the loop as the START of your phrase. Thinking of it that way seems to help timing.

watch some YouTube videos to learn how. Quantization is a nice to have but it won’t fix bad technique.

More exploring last night with Rig Manager. (I have a ton of profiles). Some of the Marshall profiles do sound like Marshalls. For example, Michael Britt's Marshalls. However, I haven't tried them at gig volume so it's hard to tell for sure.

For a powered Kemper, I'm feeling more a more like saying "profiles don't matter".

What's more important is how it sounds. At our last city monthly jam, everyone was blown away by the sound of my Kemper and this cabinet. It sounded amazing.

I have a powered toaster. I've used it with a pair of DXR10s and while it sounds good, to me, it doesn't sound great. I switched to using the Kemper with an oversized 1x12 Creamback closed-back cabinet. This setup sounds incredible - far more like I expect an amp to sound. However, pretty much every profile sounds like some flavor of a Marshall. That's cool....but for a majority of our band's classic rock songs, a blackface sound would probably be more appropriate. Over the weekend, I bought my friend's 2x12 Avatar open-back cabinet with a G12 and a G12H. With this new cabinet, my profiles now sound mostly like a Fender. I'm sure some of you will say "duh" but I'm astounded about how much of the tone is really the cabinet and not the amp. It's not that I'm saying profiles don't matter but they don't seem to matter as much as the cabinet.

Of course, I'm sure this is where Kemper is going with the Kone and Kabinet.

Anyway, not a complaint...mostly an observation.

Comparing physical products to digital products is irrelevant as there is something physical that can be transferred when selling. If there is a simple way to ensure that you could actually transfer ownership of these products to another person, there would be a way to sell the license. You see this in many software based products that are attached to online accounts. For example, I sold my software based DAW to another person and the company had a simple way of transferring the license because it was built into the product. Line 6's Helix Native PC based modeler works the same way...you can sell it because the software has license verification built in and only one person can own that license.

IRs, profiles, presets, and music have no simple way to verify ownership. Therefore, they're licensed with these clauses because you can make unlimited copies that are exactly like the original and completely untraceable. Without such licensing, the original artists/producers have no incentive to sell their products.

In most cases, it's a license that is only granted to the original purchaser and can't be transferred through sale of the profiles or as part of the sale of the Kemper.

For example, right at the bottom of the page at the ToneJunkies site is the following:

You are purchasing a license to use these profiles for your own personal and/or professional use but profiles are not for resale or any other unlicensed distribution, free or compensated.

The exact same wording is at the bottom of the Selah Sounds web site and on Michael Britt's site. I'm sure if you looked, you'd see this sort of disclaimer on all of the commercial sites.

I've been struggling getting a Fender-style reverb sound for my clean tones. A member of TGP pointed out that the effect needed to be placed before the amp. That made alllll the difference. I'm close but not quite there. Does anyone have settings for a Fender outboard reverb effect that would go before the amp?

I’m sure most folks will recommend something from Analogman. I’ve owned a few and they are really great but I’ve also have a Dunlop FF mini (the red one). It’s cheap and sounds right and has a wide range of dirt. My current favorite is the Jam Pedals Fuzz Phrase - it goes from glassy clean to overdrive to distortion and on to a sputtery 60s fuzz.

The key with any of these pedals is to turn your guitar volume way down and adjust up as needed. A great fuzz pedal will have a very wide range of clean to nasty. Crappy fuzz pedals basically go from clean to nasty and have nothing in between.

Fuzz isn’t a destination- it’s a journey. You’ll need to try a few to see what works.

I'm not sure this has been mentioned but I have not seen any Kemper crashes while in profile mode while RM is connected since installing the beta. I did have RM crash but it didn't affect the Kemper.

Nevermind. It just crashed.