Posts by 517138682526ce5895215d56f87e1ce93cc8da6e

Back in 2018 I blew up 4 different speakers trying to get a profile from a Silvertone twin 12. Not a super powerful amp but the test tones are LOUD. I got the lower volume clean profiles just fine but when I went above 6 on the volume, KABOOM!! (actually no real kaboom they just stop working). All the speakers I used (Weber, Celestion, Tone Tubby) were newer and rated much higher than the Silvertone head. I'm sure it was down to operator error as in all my endeavors that go wrong but it stopped me from profiling any of my vintage original combos.

Just out of curiosity: where those speakers rated at a lower wattage than the amp's (maximum) output?

Spot on IMHO!

Sorry to hear about your experiences Steve. But bear in mind it's quite a change you're going through. If you're used to having your tube amp with you on stage for years, surely the KPA will feel different and it will never be an identical replacement. The benefits of the KPA to me are the tone consistency, reliability and portability and lack of maintenance when compared to tube amps.

Have you tried profiling your own amp and cab? Or making a DI profile of your amp and running that through your cab, to see if that works on stage? Perhaps those high gain MBritt profiles - as good as they are for many - are just not your thing. Personally I wouldn't give up if I were you, there's a learning curve for sure, not just in controlling the KPA but more in knowing in what settings to use it and how to use it in those settings.

Also I would recommend tuning your profiles in a studio setting with studio monitors if you have the chance. That will be a better representation of your eventual tone.

Far worse than surruptisiously making a copy of my Kemper, i’d be more worried about someone installing an alien backup on it.

That would be a shitty thing indeed. Or completely resetting your Kemper to factory settings, if someone knows how to access maintenance mode. All possible if it's not locked.

Good idea, it would solve the backup problem! Now we only need a way to lock the controls!

I think the PROFILER should have a lock function, much like locking a telephone or computer. Anyone with basic knowledge of the system can copy my entire PROFILER with just a thumb drive when I'm away from the unit for a couple of minutes, and basically steal not only hundreds of dollars worth of commercial profiles that are on it, but also my personalized rigs which took me countless hours to tweak. The lock function could be a customizable button combination for instance, required to unlock the device.

You always trust the audience (not you or your friends) to tell you if your tone is good.

Not always. The audience usually experiences your tone at a much higher volume than yourself when tweaking through your headphones, monitors or whatever. So they're getting a lot more of it and it's way easier to be impressed if you're getting a higher dose of volume. Almost everything starts to sound better when the volume increases. So yeah audience experiences are very valuable but they're not quite as crucial as your own listening and tweaking sessions, IMHO.

I think it's important to make a difference in what you're planning to use a specific piece of equipment for. If you ONLY want Fender clean tones at a relatively low level and want nothing but that, and if you want to hear those tones through a guitar speaker to get the AITR experience, get one of those new 68 Custom Vibro Champs and be done with it. The Kemper would be overkill and perhaps would even be a compromise in some aspects.

However, if you want to do other things such as (silent) recording, playing live with IEM's (on a (quasi-)silent stage) with a professional and trustworthy PA and FOH engineer, having access to numerous profiles and effects, or if you possess tube amps with great (emotional) value which are either too precious or too heavy to move around, then the KPA is better than sliced bread.

I find the DXR10 not at all good for home use, way to middy, and a little fan buzzing, but I find it FANTASTIC for band use. As wedge you can point it from the floor to your head even if there's little room and it will always cut through the mix, even when there's another guitar or a sax blaring next to you, and does clean and dirty quite well. I also own the power Kabinet, but still use the DXR for band rehearsals. With 14.6 kg it's on the heavy side (mkII is 13.9 kg), but it also is a solid piece of gear and it has a good carry handle, and you can get a nice soft cover for it. With DXR in one hand, the stage in a backpack and guitarcase in the other hand, I can transport everything in one trip from the car. I use it since 2013.

Thanks a lot!

I’m no TS guru but I always thought the OD808 was just a reissue of the original 808 which Maxxon designed and built for Ibanez.

You can never believe marketing but Maxxon’s web site says

I thought that this was the case as well however there's a discrepancy in the naming. Several people (including Analogman) have dissected the OD808 and have found it to be more similar to the TS10 than to the 808 or other Tubescreamers. It even appears that any differences between the OD808 and the TS10 are negligible.

Thanks for replying guys.

I have used a TC Helicon FX150 for those situations. It’s loud enough for a personal monitor. Can mount to a mic stand or even sit on the floor as a wedge. It has a built in 3 channel mixer. The tone is pretty good considering the size. I know Mackie and Behringer make similar units.

Cool I'll check them out, thanks!

Any powered wedge should be fine.

Many people loved the Yamaha DXR10 although they are quite expensive.

Surprised you find the powered kabinet too big though...the nonpowered version is so small and light but then if you are using it front of stage in a wedge approach I can understand that..

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I don't need the AITR experience on stage, tbh. Just looking for a personal wedge which doesn't throw my sound all over the stage, but just to me. The band gets my sound on their wedges as well so no need for any further dispersion.

The differences between the TS and the OD are absolutely neglectable , while the TS9 and TS10 have modified resistors on the output, resulting in a slightly emphasized high end.

The Maxon is not basically a TS10.

Do you have different sources of information?

Quoted by the great mr. Kemper, that already made my day, thanks!

My source is Analogman:

http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm (section on modding the OD808)

https://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

I actually had a lengthy email conversation with them when I first read their statement of the OD808 having the same circuit as the TS10. They confirmed it numerous times. I though the source was legit.

Hey guys,

I use a Kemper Stage live and absolutely love it! I mainly gig at venues where there's a proper PA and I have my own wedge, but sometimes it happens that there's no separate wedge for me and the level of the guitar on the shared wedge is not what I would like.

I tried using the Powered Kabinet for a while but tbh it's a bit too bulky for my taste, it kind of defeats the purpose of the portable all-in-one solution which is the Stage. And I don't really feel the need for using the Kone functions, imprints etc.

So I was thinking of purchasing a small, portable wedge which I take to gigs and leave in my car when I have a personal wedge, but take the stage when I don't have the amount of guitar volume I'd like. Anybody made similar considerations? Any tips?

Cheers!