Posts by atalwar

Case: After Applying Liquid Profile, Right Clicking the Gain Knob and setting it to Revert to Stored Value, Causes it to jump to 5.0 instead of the scaled value corresponding to the Liquid Profile Gain.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Load any standard Profile, say ACE- 800 Mild from Factory Rig Pack Ace Skunk Anansie.
    2. Apply Mars CM 800 Liquid Profile
    3. The Gain Knob Jumps to 7.4 (accounting applied gain curve)
    4. Right Click Gain knob choose: "Revert Parameter to Stored Value"
    5. The Gain Knob Jumps to 5.0 (It likely should not jump at all if no change applied to gain knob, or IOW was I was expecting it to revert to 7.4 instead of 5.0.

bump

HI,

since latest releases (beta) the info window on top is taking too much space , making browsing factory / extra content very hard . Please see attached screenshot.

if possible please consider adding a button to collapse/expand top part. as the close button takes you to parent folder with thumbnails instead of closing the info window. This might be very useful for people with vision issues that have to use lower resolution at times. I am currently using 2048x 864 on an ultrawide monitor.

thx.

while my question does not seem to be related to ui issue being discussed earlier, I was advised to post in this thread.. ..

HI,
    since latest releases (beta) the info window on top is taking too much space , making browsing factory / extra content very hard . Please see attached screenshot.
    if possible please consider adding a button to collapse/expand top part. as the close button takes you to parent folder with thumbnails instead of closing the info window. This might be very useful for people with vision issues that have to use lower resolution at times. I am currently using 2048x 864 on an ultrawide monitor.
    thx.

Just an Update!

While I was thinking on getting a Fender/Roland G-5,

I eventually ended up, not getting that (due to its limitation), but rather Getting a Roland GR-55 system, 2 Roland Gk-3 Pickups + A Fender Player HSS Strat (MIM).

Works great with Kemper and the Guitar/pickup Modeling is quite good for a product that now almost 10 years old.

I for one have the polytune pedal always connected and mounted on my rack.

• Hardly ever use the poly feature
    • use it as have it lying round and its buffer was quite good when I used it with my amps.
    • I prefer it than the kemper tuner as my eyes are not as good as they used to be, so find it easier than LCD

with both guitars recorded, you run a matching EQ on them in DAW. That will generate an EQ profile required for the source profile to sound c;ose to the sonic character of target.

Once that is done, you can run sweep through this eq profile to generate an IR.

I don't know if better is the correct word, but I do like my ext pedals quite a lot more, perhaps because I am so used to them and I don't play live anyway.

Here are a few that are always in my chain: I can add in others as required via patchbay.

• Dunlop Cry Baby 535q
    • EHX big Muff Pi TW
    • Boss CS-3 Compressor (noiseless mod)
    • OD-308 (Monte Allums)
    • Nux Cerberus: Boost/OD and Distortion only (analog section) plus I love the ability to load in custom IRs.
    • TCE Mimiq (occasionally only)

All depends on how your guitar is currently setup.

If you have a slight (good enough) relief in neck then you should be good to go with 9s. however if the next is dead straight, then the gauge change might cause a slight Backbow which might give you a little fret buzz or not.

I'd say give it a try with 9's and if they dont work out well you can always revert back to 10s if you don't want to touch the setup.

A Simple Eq is not mostly adequate enough to do a transformation, you'd end up using all 4 slots with eqs and yet be wanting for more eq.

an IR (impulse response / Convolution) methodology is much more feasible however having said that there are certain aspects that one needs to address that has mostly prevented mass production of such devices).

A Major One of them is a a consistent base (source) profile. Since Each user has a different guitar / pickup, this variance base profile opens a can of worms. Companies Such as Line 6 (Variax) and Roland (VG) have addressed that by having a consistent base. They know the guitar and the pickups they are using thus they can mass produce the products with consistent results for the user base. I haven't read their tech papers so I can't comment on exactly how or what they are doing (complete modelling or some hybrid DSP techniques).

I myself tested some IRs with Kemper (through a Hardware IR loader (Nux Cerberus/NUX mini IR loader ...) in first slot and the results can be very promising once you get the base profiles for your guitar and target guitar sorted out. I liked some acoustic conversions.

So anyone wanting to go this route, here are few things to try IIRC.

1. Profile your guitars:
      1. Create a small D.I recording of the pickup while Slowly playing open E chord and few other notes/strings to capture sonic profile of your own guitar and save as wav.
      2. Repeat above for the target guitar and pickup.
    2. Build The Transformation EQ Profile
      1. Use a Eq Matching Plugin to generate a matching EQ curve. (logic match eq, Voxengo CurveEq spectrum matching).
      2. Refine this eq curve so that your Source Guitar through this Eq matches as closely to the target.
    3. IR profile this EQ
      1. Use IR creating tools to create an impulse response for this eq profile.
      2. Deconvolve the profile to get the resultant IR.
    4. : Apply the IR Profile
      1. Load the IR profile in the first stomp slot with external loop and IR pedal. ( I do not recommend connecting the guitar directly to IR hardware pedal unless you are using active pickups or the pedal has high impedance input.
      2. Alternatively you can bring your computer audio interface into the slot be connecting the send to audio interface input (say in 3) and taking its output say (out3) and feeding into Kemper return.

Now this maybe good enough if you don't need to buy any external gear to get this done, but if you are going to be spending on it along with investing a lot of hours, Buying a Line-6 Variax or a Roland G-5 for about $1000-$1500 USD does not seem that bad in economic sense.

Btw the above procedure is same if you want to capture the tonal character (eq) of a OD/DIST/Mic/Console.. or pedal that you own with obvious limitations.

~amit

About 10 years back I was involved in development of Guitar Suite (Amp modeling and pickup modeling, room acoustics etc). unfortunately The Lead Developer had health issues and had to call it a day due to the sheer amount of stress we all had to endure.

I might have a newer build of that plugin in one of my archive drives, However here is version that might have gotten released : http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Redshift&id=2408

Having said that: if you are too keen of experimenting:

try out some guitar pickup IR (impulse responses) followed by an Eq to further shape the tone. To use with kemper you might need to use a hardware IR loader for negligible latency , or you can bring your audio interface into the Kemper Loop, but might have to endure some latency.

I have some pickup IR's that I captured back in the day. Let me know and I will try to put them up somethere.

I am very much considering buying a Roland G-5 VG guitar myself, (this discontinued but still available here with few retailers) Basically a Mexican fender start with american neck and some hardware.

I would have it by my side already, if it were not for this strict lockdown we are under for more than a month now and still ongoing. :(