Posts by munkienl

I recently bought a Roland GI-20 guitar to midi/USB interface. Alas they don't make them anymore. Tracking as good as it gets with the Roland GK system. You could try a Godin guitar with the 13 pin output, they use piezo pickups. They claim improved tracking.

Waaayyyy back i had a Casio Midi guitar, way cool in the 1980s but the midi tracking had some latency. Older Roland GS like GR-20 and even GR-1 have a good tracking for the internal sounds but a little latency on the midi output.

Waaayyy back i used Atari computers with the built-in midi ports, excellent timing.

I wrote a post here about the USB in of the Kemper. I wish i could connect my Gr-55 or GI-20 USB out to that port and work with the GK hex pickup. Alternate tunings, different FX on different strings etc.

Ok I'm willing to give it a try but don't expect miracles. Hooking the Lead 12 up to a bigger cab, in my case a UK Marshall 1922 2X12 with Celestion G12T75s, works wonders IMHO. The Bichorus is in repair.

Old UK Marshall trannie amps are underrated IMHO. I have a Lead 12, a Master Lead 5010 combo and, (new!) a stereo Bichorus 200 with UK Celestion G12T75's, found it in a thrift store for 70 euro. Profiling on pro level (Britt, Meulendijks etc.) isn't easy.

I bought my Toaster new for 1700 euro. It can be had used here in Holland now for ca. 1000 euro. That's 700 euro write-off already. OTOH, free updates keep coming. New effects etc. No mk2 model. I still have my Elevenrack , dead end device, no updates anymore. What do you prefer?

Using the right profiles is what it's all about IMHO. I record everything with BM profiles. I know there are lots of others, i try other profiles but often they require lots of EQ. BM profiles sit right in the mix without EQ necessary. Just my opinion.

I still have my Fostex VF160 HD portastudio but i use it as a mixer nowadays. I record with an old Mac Pro running Reaper, Digi rack 002 interface. Such a setup is dirt cheap now on the used market. There is a learning curve but if i can operate this stuff anybody can.

I use a Digi 002 Rack interface with my old Mac pro running Reaper. I use a Focusrite platinum mic preamp. Just upgraded Reaper to 6.36. It's a bit heavier to run, the performance meter goes quickly to 50 % CPU running a few plugins. A new Mac Mini would require a new interface. And i would have to install all my software again. Or start all over again with Logic having to learn that software. Just to record some music. Sigh. I'm getting old.

can’t be done using the Kemper. Unlikely to ever be added as it would require a hex pickup like the Roland GK etc to isolate which string to detune.

See my post in the requests part. If Kemper would configure the MIDI input so that note value and MIDI channel would be recognized, alternate tunings would be possible. You would need a Roland GK equipped or Godin guitar and a Roland GS or GI-10/20 device. Midi out to the midi in of the Kemper. Put the device in midi MONO mode so each string has its own midi channel.

The regular output of the magnetic pickups goes to the input of the Kemper. The 13 pins input or the MIDI input or the MIDI over USB input tells the Kemper ON WHICH STRING the note is played. So you can get alternative tunings, open D, DADGAD, lower E and A string one octave lower etc. Or use different FX on different strings. Endless possibilities. For this the MIDI device, GS or Roland GI-10/20 should be put in mono mode so each string has its own MIDI channel.

Another wild idea. An input for the Roland GK 13 pin cable. I still have a Roland GR55 GS. Its modeling is outdated and incomparable to Kemper's. But the hex pickup gives you options like alternative tunings and different FX on different strings. I have a Roland GI10 with a midi/USB cable and just got a Roland GI20 which goes from 13 pins to USB midi directly. Maybe Kemper could configure the USB input to receive midi over USB. Think of the possibilities.

Yesterday i fired up my old Mac Pro and Reaper. In Reaper i started NI Guitar Rig, old version, 5. It still worked! It does put a load on the CPU though. I recorded a few tracks with NI GR and a few with my Kemper Toaster. Apples to oranges i know, but the Kemper sounded " juicier" , NI GR grittier. But. With Ni GR you record the dry guitar sound and you can change the modelling and FX AFTER you've recorded your guitar part. This is the big advantage of software plugins. Like Line 6 Helix Native. A Kemper profile player would be fine for me. OTOH you have to run the plugin and the DAW and the OS on that poor computer. The CPU has to run all that stuff in real time. What do you think?

I bought the unpowered Toaster a while ago. I thought i wouldn't need the power amp in my home studio. I noticed the powered Kemper I tested in the guitar shop ran a little hot. Mmm not good, electronics running hot won' last long.