Posts by Vinny Burns

There is a dedicated Youtube video "Mission EP1 KP & Kemper Set Up", which explains exactly this application. The only difference at the Stage is that you find the pedal configurations via the PEDALS button.

When calibrating a pedal, is there some sort of indication that it is in calibration mode? Pressing the calibrate button changes nothing on the screen to let you know if it’s working or not (I am using a Stage). Same with exiting the calibration process.

All seems very hit and miss as to having any indication if it’s working or not.

Totally agree with that point Vinny Burns as I have the challenge as well. When it becomes very energetic on stage you quickly hit more than one button at a time. Maybe my feet are too big or the stage action is too wild... 8o ....but that's actually the aspect which calls for disabling the effects switches.

As said a bit earlier in this thread I also have some performances which I use for jamming and song writing with the band. In those I have the effect switches indeed enabled as I typically use them in the rehearsal room rather than on stage. That way I can still play around with things and identify new sounds.

Yes, I completely agree. I have certain Performances I have setup for when I am in my studio or for pre production with the band where I do have the effects switches enabled to bring things in and out and to be able to get at things instantly.
    During the gig though, like you, I just keep the stuff enabled that I need.
    We did an odd one the other week. A rock festival on a ship in Scandinavia. We have done it before but it must have been quite a calm sea that time. This time, it was not. lol. I have never played on a stage that moved so much. ?

So actually enabling a switch became a task. Lifting one foot off the floor to hit a switch would generally coincide with the ship moving massively and by the time you put your door down, you had accidentally hit the up button and gone to the next song (in that case, a song that is a whole tone down for that accidentally selected Performance). Even worse, once you got your balance to try and correct it, the ship had moved again and you had ended up even further away from the pedalboard. ?

I was very happy to only have switches working that were needed at that gig. Weird experience. Stages should not move. ?

The local crew were laughing. They said these were only 4 meter waves and they have worked when there were 15 meter waves. I can’t even imagine that.

I enjoyed reading how you arrange your rigs. I was kind of perplexed as to why you'd have the effects switches disabled, however. If I immediately need a certain sound, including these effects, having them switched on immediately gives me what I want right when I really need it instead of having to do the stomp box dance to turn it on. That's the whole point of having these performance slots in the first place. Why have a separate rig for them without them being instantaneously available is what I'm really saying? Who cares if you accidentally hit one WITH the effects before you need it versus the benefit of having the effects being right there? The audience will never know the difference, only you.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. Maybe not.
    All my sounds are pre setup. Hitting a rig within a performance takes me to the next sound that is already set up the way I need it.
    All effects I need are already enabled for those sounds. I don’t need to turn any of them on or off. So, the facility to enable them from the effects switches is disabled.
    So, simply, the effects are enabled on these rigs. They are preset for each rig. No need for effects switches as nothing needs switching in or out.

We try not to have any room for error at our gigs.

If you paste a profile into the amp stack module of an existing rig it will not change the name of the rig. The profile name and the rig name are two different things. If you load a whole new rig the slot name is automatically updated unless the slot name has been edited by the user (intro, solo, verse etc) In the later case you need to use the "Use rig name" function to paste the rig name into the slot name.

Thank you. Will mess around with it and see what I have been doing wrong.

My problem has been that because the Marshall profile I have started using is now named as a Mesa, I don’t know the original name of the profile that was used so I am pasting it from the Performance that it is used in but where it has the wrong name.

Thanks for the reply.

Slot names are not Amp names but Rig names.

The slot name changes with the Rig name as long as it has not been renamed.

You can set the Slot name to Rig name when you‘re editing rhe Slot name.

Well, in that case, the Rig names are not updating then. I went through my Performances and decided to change the main gain amp in them from my profiled Mesa Mk3 to a Marshall profile I bought.
    They all still say Mesa Mk3 after pasting the Marshall amp into the Performance slots.
    So, what is the correct procedure? I would have assumed copy and paste would update the amp name too. If not, what is the reasoning behind it?

I have come across this too. I am staying far away from RM at the moment so that is not an option to edit and correct these things. Read a few post about disappearing rigs and weird stuff happening to Performances in Rig Manager. Will wait until it is stable. Had some of my profiled Rigs go missing too but fortunately have them still in some performances I made with them.

Will just stick to editing and managing things on the Stage itself for the time being but this problem of Performance slots not displaying the correct amp name is confusing.

It's a great idea and a necessary feature. so: +1

But it would cause a consecutive Problem, since when increasing or decreasing the volume the overall-Sound would Change Maybe even significantly because of the Fletcher-Munson-Effect.

So the volume-softknob should be ammended with an EQ or at least with High-Low-Cut-option for compensation this effect.

I recommended several times to realise such an Option and though it's most necessary and CR once wrote (hi and lo-cut feature will come) , I don't believe that it will be realised.

Hmmm. I seriously doubt a couple of db’s here and there is going to require any re eq’ing whatsoever. This is just a request to be able to quickly tweak the overall volume of a performance by a few dB either way.
    If your sounds need to be eq’d again at stage volume, they were not right in the first place. That is another subject entirely.

Two Stage units? Wow! :huh:

Congrats Vinny, and great that the original replacement's with you now too mate. 8)

Ha. Yes, two Kemper Stage for live.
    Two songs in the set are in different keys while the guitars stay in concert pitch ( second guitar is a backup too). So, I need a backup Stage just in case.

Works well in my studio too. One Stage is in my small control room and the other Stage is in the live room plugged into my Turbosound PA and subs. Great way to audition freshly profiled amps and perfect for setting up my live sounds.
    I have loved using the Stage. Amp wise, I just think it sounds really good.
    Just need to get round to profiling all my amps now. Only done a bit of profile testing with a Mesa mk3 and my CAE 3+SE through a Mesa 295 power amp. Love this thing.