Posts by Vinny Burns

hi Vinnie!!i see that you like to profile your amps,do you sell your profiles?

I don’t sell them.

As I understand, I would only be able to post in the commercial sellers part on here and not be able join in the rest of the forum if I started to sell them. I do like to be able to post the odd question here and would miss that.

Still going through profiling all my favourite studio sounds from over the years. From regular to oddball stuff.

I do like the sound of the Kemper graphic and where the frequency interval are placed.

However, I would also love to see the option to have the MXR 6 band graphic in the Kemper. Much easier than having to profile with a 6 band graphic in front of the amp when trying to get close to something like those Scholz rhythm and lead sounds. The 800 band is needed.

This MXR and the Boss have been used by so many artists over the years.

The Mesa 5 band would be great too. Fortunately, i have that built into my Mk3's here in the studio so can easily profile that.

On a new physical Kemper unit for stage, I think having something like a 9v power out to power something like a Shure GLXD16 would be useful. No wall warts allowed on my pedalboards. Testing and using a Volto 3 at the moment. Working fine and does the job. Rather dispense with the need for that.

Make it much more difficult to hit the up and down switches when selecting the 1 and 2 buttons.

Software wise, Performance import and export from USB. Since cabin allowance has been reduced on flights, I no longer take my laptop.

Much longer mono delay.

None of my profiles I have made have had a cocked wah sound. I spend time on my refining and for me and some of the amps I have, it’s a really necessary step. I don’t think it’s enough pressing refine once and hitting a couple of chords. You get out of the refine process the amount of effort you put in.

Talking of that cocked wah sound, I can easily get an approximation of something like that effect in two seconds with most Les Paul’s or Strat’s if needed although nothing beats a wah doing it.

One for CK.

My CAE 3+SE is a frustrating amp to profile (but worthwhile). It takes about 40 minutes of refining to get it and even then, there is a really tiny little something missing when picking the higher strings. The preamp has a little more happening harmonically in the high end that the profiler isn’t getting quite right.
    The isn’t what takes so long refining though. You get the bottom end right and the top end isn't right. You get the top end right and the bottom end has changed. Then, you have to sort out the mid range which can then change the top or bottom end or even worse, both . It’s a long process it’s my favourite amp though so I don’t mind spending the time as I want it right ?
    Would be great if you could get one in and see why the profiling seems to struggle with what I would describe as the extended range and harmonic content of this preamp. I am using it with a Mesa 295 power amp. Especially the lead channel. Ch3.

I have no clue about the profiling and refining technicalities but this preamp seems to have too much info for the profiler to gather correctly. It’s the only amp along with the SLO100 where the top strings sound as thick as the bottom strings.
    Would be great to have an undo option while refining too. ?

The KPA is still the best unit I have bought in years and years.

Agreed the wall wart is the one big thing that disappointed me. There is always a spare euro socket at a venue, but I'd feel compelled to carry a spare psu in this case. Maybe there might be a different format in the future with kettle lead.

Yes, it was such an oversight. I thought for the price they are charging, it was such a strange omission.

Wall warts can also easily come loose in transit and do loads of damage to the rest of the gear that they are in the same case with.

Hate the damn things. ???

For pro bands it might be a little off-putting that there is not a rack mount version, but it will be useful for those that fly to festivals etc.

I have to say that the omission of a euro socket excludes it from any fly rig I would take out.
    For me (and it’s just my opinion), wall warts do not belong on festival or any other stages. So easy for a flight case or monitor being moved to completely crush them or that they go missing or just simply break.

Good look getting the local crew to bring you another matching power source immediately. On the other hand, a euro cable is always at hand.

It’s the first thing that put me off it when it was announced.

Would love an accurate Tri stereo chorus on the Kemper. There is nothing that sounds the same as a Tri stereo chorus
    I have the TERC in my studio but really want it in my Kemper.

Can imagine. Thanks for all the details Vinny. Quite interesting.

Think we guitar players are mostly having a hard time if there is a limitation to bring own equipment and you just need to take what they have or what other bands bring. Never liked that and love the lean setup with my Kemper which makes me rather independent. Poor Drummers who have to accept more often what is there...

Yes, that is exactly it. It’s just so brilliant to be able to plug in and be up and running in seconds with the exact same sounds every night.

I did try the small pedalboard with a Nova System and Morpheus Droptune for the send and return of rented amps but the amps would rarely ever be what you had specced and all the settings would then be screwed.
    I then used the ‘other guys’ stuff for ages too but always wanted the Kemper. Was waiting for the all in one to be released. As soon as it was, I had a Kemper Stage on the first day of release. Then, once happy with it, I bought the backup Stage unit. Started to gig with them last Sept.

Just before lockdown, I bought the Toaster and remote too for my studio. Happy with everything (except mono delay is not long enough for something I need in one song ?)

The transpose on the Kemper is just so much better than what I was using too.

Great soloing Vinny Burns , very tasteful. Great power in the band and good show :thumbup:8)

Is that a Custom Audio amp there behind you? I really like MBritt's profiless of the CA100 in the 2020 pack. Cool thing.

Thank you. Really appreciate it. ?

Yes, that was an OD100 but it belonged to the guitarist from our opening band in Madrid. He actually used my system instead though after hearing our sound check. I always offer the opening guitarist that option as it makes things much simpler for us.

I was using AX8’s at that time. On these kind of fly gigs, the rest of our band mostly use the opening bands gear and we take our own wireless for our singer Darren and hire the keyboard rig too. I just use my own pedalboards straight to PA and monitors.

Bigger gigs and festivals, the rest of the band hire exactly what they need. The tour after this in Spain, the rest of the band hired the whole backline. Obviously, our bass player and drummer much prefer that. ?

We fly to nearly all gigs so travel as light as possible. I take two pedalboards (identical setups as one is the backup) and two guitars. All flightcased and they just go in the hold.

In my studio, I have a Custom Audio 3+SE preamp into a Mesa 295 power amp. Have been profiling that for my Kemper. The 3+SE is my favourite amp ever. ?

I would really prefer the option to choose. Live, in between songs when I quickly tune, I always tune up to the note. It’s a nice safe noticeable indication when you see it go from D# to E when you don’t have much time.

Yes, that’s the kind of thing I was thinking although would be much better to have it on board.
    I didn’t buy any of the Two Notes stuff yet as I wanted something I could use to export my own settings to be used in the Kemper easily.

Only thing I have that is quick and easy is my Suhr Reactive Load IR but stuck with what can be loaded into it and I would rather be able to make my own cabs for the Kemper.

I have 10 Marshall 4x12’s here in my live room as well as all my favourite mic’s (57’s, AKG 451’s, AKG 414’s, Sennheiser 421’s etc) and my Focusrite ISA828 and ISA220 preamps but I want to get away from mic’ing.
    Using the Suhr load has been great though.

Yes, it’s that Two Notes software I was thinking of as well as the Mikko app.
    I was just thinking that if the IR’s are translated to an EQ curve, then the cab section could be more complex and allow manipulation of those EQ curves.
    So, what I was getting at was not merging of any profiles but being able to conjur up your own cab from a set of ingredients supplied by the cab section.
    for example, listed speaker responses from types of speakers and enclosures and being able to choose from a wide array of mic choices and be able to manipulate their position and phase.

Like I said, I don’t know if this is even possible but as it’s EQ curves once inside the Kemper, I would imagine it would be in theory.