Posts by Jonathan Threadwell

Hi thanks for the comments and advice I have owned a mesa blue angel, F50, subway rocket and a Mark1. I didnt get on with any of them for my archtop but I did try a 5:50 express and loved it so I am going to give it a go. I might just use my kemper for the effects and see what happens if not ill sell the boogie and just use another frfr. Its just a shame that there are no smaller frfr options other than the headrush 108. Cheers and many thanks :)

Hi I know it might be a bad idea but I have a kemper going through a laney lfr 112 and im looking at getting another amp so I can run stereo. I did have to lanely lfr's but they are big and cost around £300 each. I have been looking at other frfr's but I dont like the headrush speakers and the line6 powercab and friedman are around £400-£700 and are still quite big. Ive seen a boogie 5:50 express for £500 and that is about my budget but will it be a bad idea? Cheers and thatnks for any advice thank you :) Oh im mainly playing clean jazz tones :)

Hi

Last year I decided to switch from and axe fx ii to a kemper as I felt the axe fx ii was on its way out. I do love the kemper, the reverbs are great especially the formant reverb with the vowels added it does sound lush.

I a not sure if many jazz players use the kemper although I heard pat metheny uses one and Lionel Loueke too. The only problem is the overdrive settings sound a bit synthetic but im wondering if this is due to a floating pickup that I use?

Anyway I just thought I would say hello :)

Hi many thanks for your comments and help. None of those options have worked for me so far but I have been using a pc and an archtop so think thats why. My last option is the empress zoia which is expensive but it converts guitar to midi. Hopefully it will be better that the sonuus g2m which is very good just not perfect tracking

Hi many thanks :) I just realised though if I want to use the axe fx synth or distorted sounds it only going to come out of one amp. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on these things. I might just get a source audio synth pedal as they have some great sounds but wondered if paying a couple of hundred more for the axe fx ultra with one synth sound and some good slightly overdriven sounds as the overdriven sounds on the kemper sound to synthetic for me. I am sure thats just me though :)

Hi

Well I love my kemper and it does more than enough for me as I normally use just clean tones but I have a longing for the gr300 synth sound. Ive tried midi pickups but I havent got on to well with them and the synth units often give me too much stuff that will never get used and cost me around 400 on a good day.

I used to have an axe fx ii and really liked a couple of their presets, the mod delay verb, and one dirty channel that was great and it also had a synth block and did a couple of very good synth sounds.

So im thinking of getting a used axe fx ultra as it has the synth block but wondered how I would set it up? Would it be best to go through the effects loop on the kemper and would that work if I was using say a fender twin on the axe fx or would things get a little complicated? I use two powered cabs ad wondered about splitting the guitar signal and going through the kemer and axe fx seperatly but Ive never ran a cabe splitter before and like the stereo sounds I get from the kemper.

Ive tried nearly all of the synth pedals and I think the best one for me is the source audio c4 at £230 so I could just get that but then a used axe fx ultra is only around £100-£150 more so wondered if that might be worthwhile.

Id appreciate any info and advice and many thanks for all your time, cheers :)

Hi many thanks for your quick response and info. When you say any other amp would you have a leaning toward valve, solid state or another frfr. I like the idea of having a real valve amp but dont want to fork out the extra if say a cheaper solid state would do otherwise ive been looking at the line 6 powercab, Cheers Jonathan :)

Hi

Im using my unpowered kemper into a tech 21 power engine and would like to use a second amp. Im listening to alot of modern jazz guitarists and they seem to be using two amps these days. Usually a fender twin and a polytone or mesa boogie and fender twin. Im wondering if I wanted to add a second amp would it be worth getting a valve amp and running a signal out of the direct output on the kemper to the second amp whilst having the monitor out gong to the power engine or would a second frfr be all I need and connect them to the two outputs left and right.

Im just using clean tones with delay reverb and chorus. I d appreciate any advice and thanks for your time, cheers Jonathan :)

Hi.

I hope someone can help ive bee using my kemper for a while now using the monitor output or phones, but Im hoping to hook up two speakers for stereo and it seems the left and right have no sound. When I switch it to browser mode I get a signal from both outputs but nothing when I put it in performance mode I just have to use monitor out or phones. I have checked the outputs and everything is ticked so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I havent got any xlrs so havent checked those, cheers Jonathan :)

Hi,

I'm after some synth sounds for my kemper. Gr55, moog lead, sine waves single line stuff not pads or swells. I used to have a gr55 and an ace fx that had great synth sounds for single line playing. There is meris enzo which has a couple of usable sounds but wondered if there are any profiles I can get for the kemper or if they have any plans to make some synth profiles. Cheers and all the best, Jonathan :)

I've been having trouble lately . I get lovely sounds out of my kemper but have had some gigs with a Cuban band and they are super loud. I need a pure clean tone.

I went into one of my performance set ups and raised the amp volume, then the master volume other volume and had the gain on 3 o'clock. It sounded fine with my guitar volume on about 4 but anything louder and I'd get really bad clipping.

I've now noticed the led on the input is stuck on red.

I've taken input Sens down to zero and my guitar is on 2 and I've lowered the volumes but still stuck on red. It stays on red when changing through performances and switching to browser mode.

Can anyone help please. I'd be very grateful, cheers Jonathan.

Oh my guitar is an l5 with humbuckers, cheers Jonathan :)

Hi Andy, thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for more rigs although I think I have over 200 amps loaded at present. I am a jazz player but looking for a more modern sound. I'm only using the Amos that came with my kemper so don't know if there are better ones available. I'll definitely check out the link though. Thanks again for the response and for the advice from kemper support.

Cheers Jonathan :)

Hi, great thanks. I managed to do it via the init globals. Many thanks for getting back to me on that! It has all gone back to normal, cheers and all the best, Jonathan :)

Whilst you are there could you recommend the best speaker solution for an unpowered kemper? Head and cabinet or powered pa speaker or combo amp? I'm using a Gibson l5 with the kemper going through an acoustic amp but I'm finding the sounds seem to be a bit synthetic when playing at really loud volumes. I'm guessing it must be the amp so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did run an axe fx through a polytone once and thought the sound was really good. Cheers Jonathan

Hi,

I'm new to the kemper but have had it a few weeks now. I find it a bit frustrating to be honest and find the manual not much help in most cases.

I have just started using the performance mode and had four settings saved using a clean sound with just delay, reverb and chorus.

I decided to do a fifth performance as I found I had more choices of delays ect in the stomps section compared to the effects section. I got a good sound and saved it.

I then pressed the output button and all the effects have gone from my other performances except the recent one.

The monitor out stopped working to and I had to use the direct out but now it's working again. All the other performances had effects from the effects section and not the stomps section.

The effects buttons are all lit up and when I go into each effect everything is there and settings are all the same but just can't hear them.

I find the output section really confusing it comes up with output source then underneath main output, monitor output, direct output and dpd if output but nothing I change brings back the effects. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers Jonathan

Hi, decided to let this unit go. It's fully working with all the latest updates done a couple of weeks ago. It has around 200 amps stored and lots of effects. Two issues. Three of the LEDs don't light up on the gain and volume pots but this doesn't affect the units performance and everything else works fine and as it should. Nice and clean with no noisy controls. Price includes postage within the uk with parcelforce or ups.

Sorry about the pics. I took six but it says all are too big apart from one. I have it on Facebook and can email pics and in the meantime I'll look into the problem, cheers Jonathan :)