Posts by jfischer518

Sounds like you may have gotten old stock. That issue had been resolved many months ago.

Yes, but that cable will likely not be long enough to get to the Kemper. The cable plugged into the speaker out of you amp goes to the speaker by itself and could be used by the powered output of the Kemper but you could easily blow that speaker using the Kempers power amp. In your situation I would use the the monitor output of the Kemper to the FX return with the cab shut off.

I have a pair of monitors too that I will be using directly from the unit, this is 2 x TRS cables right? The monitors are Mackie CR4's.

The connection cable will depend on your audio interface. I use a Focusrite 2i2 si I tend to use the XLR option when going through my monitors or recording.

Yeah I think with it being such a small amp it may not handle such a large power amp. I've played a few times via the FX loop though at reasonable volume and it seems to be working fine. I turn the cab sim off though as it sounds terrible haha. Basically I should turn the power amp off on the Kemper?

I prefer the sound of moving air through physical speakers as I'm quite old school - I've been playing for over 20 years via tube amps.

Am I better off getting the Kemper Kabinet so I can use solely as a speaker without messing with another combo amp's pre-amps?

Yes, absolutely do not use the Kempers power amp in that setup. The FX goes straight into the power amp of the Marshall, iIf you do you are pushing a power amp into another power amp. The Kemper Kabinet will give you great results and will allow you to get the correct profile tones when switching profiles. Pushing into a Marshall cab/speaker will give everything a Marshall like color to it. The Kabinet will allow you to change the speaker tone but I do not have a Kabinet, I use an FRFR speaker. It is my preference to use FRFR incase some day I get a unit made by someone else, the Kabinet only works with the Kemper.

Hmm, why am I getting buzzing and hissing through my speaker then? Is it because it has an FX loop in it? It works when I run a cable out of main output (L) then into the return of the combo speaker's FX loop. Is the DSL5 speaker not able to handle 600w of power amp wattage?

They said they can fix it as its still under warranty, but I would have to cover the shipping costs. My first option is to ask the store who sold it to me to arrange it or send me a new one, as I was under no impression the backlight didn't work in the item description.

If you are going into the FX loop return, make sure you are not using the power amp of the Kemper. Amp into amp will for sure get you undesired effect. Only use the powered out into a passive cab. DSL5 speaker is certain to now be able to handle 600w but that is a class D power amp so you only get 600w to 4 ohm. You speaker is likely 8 ohm or 16 ohm and you will have considerably less wattage into the higher ohm rating. According to the Marshall website you have

SPEAKERS

Speaker configuration
    1x10"

Speaker model
    Celestion Ten-30 speaker (16Ω, 30w)

Unit impedance
    16Ω

Without doing the math, because its not exactly half, you would be pushing about 150 w to that speaker and that is a 30 w speaker so you would still want to keep the volume below 25%.

Edit: If you are using the passive mode of the Kemper into the fx return, then you can use the volume control of the amp without worrying about blowing the amp

I use my Stage unit through my Mesa 212 cab alot. I enjoy the feel much more like that but I have an FRFR cab as well since it handles changes for different tones better. An AC30 or a Fender looses some of its character when I push it all through a Mesa.

Is Kemper going to fix the hardware issue for you? If you have it going in for service, I am sure they will sort out all the issues.

The Kabinet is closed back, I think I remember that there was a reason for the closed back. Now the 212 is the way I would go since that can be wired for both 4 and 8 ohm amps. For me personally, I have an amp that is not compatible with 4 ohm so the 212 is required to get the 8 ohm I would need. Not sure what you have for a power amp but that might affect your choice as well.

Now on the other hand if you have a stereo 4 ohm power amp you could get a real nice stereo setup.

The amps do generally have slightly different names to avoid copyright issues. As for the backlight, I do not have a rack unit but my Stage unit backlight is always on. I would assume that is the same across all units, that might be faulty. The speaker connection issue sounds like it maybe a settings issue based on how the previous user had it set up.

I like the onboard effects enough that I can be happy having just the Kemper and expression pedal for travel stuff. When at home I plug in my Slash Cry baby, Boss TU-3 tuner, fulltone OCD, Boss NS-2, TC Electronics Hall of Fame 2 and Flashback 2. I also have a Klone clone on its way that I am sure to be putting in the mix too. Just toys to have fun with at home but I leave them at home when I play out.

The Kemper captures the amp, speak and mic in once shot but the modelers use either and built in cab sim or an IR created by a third party. IRs can be imported into the Kemper via a conversion process and sound very good too. I personally use a mix of the studio profiles that have the Kemper profiled cab and direct profiles with IRs. I like using direct and merged profiles best.

Code
    Is it possible to use a 1 m network cable for the device. If so, which one? How is the sale where? Greetings.

There is no network connectivity from the Kemper Stage. The racks and toasters have a network connection for the remote.

awesome. did you ever try/compare it to the free MBritt dumble profile?

Yes but there are so many more flavors in the pack to choose from. Here are the profiles that are listed in the PDF that comes with the pack.

CTone Overtone Special

Cln 1 Bright, Deep, Rock Normal input Volume 4

Cln 2 Rock Normal input Volume 3

Cln 5 Rock Normal input Volume 4

Cln 6 Bright, Deep, Rock Normal input

OD 1 Deep, Rock Normal input

OD 3 Deep, Rock Normal input

OD 4 Rock Normal input

OD 5 Bright, Deep, Rock Normal input

OD 7 Deep, Rock Normal input

OD 8 Deep, Rock Normal input Carlton eq*

OD 10 Deep, Jazz Normal input

OD 11 Deep, Rock, Boost Normal input

OD 13 Deep, Rock Normal input

OD F1 Deep, Rock FET input

RF1 Deep, Rock, Boost Normal input edited and tweaked to mimic R. Ford tone

Roots Deep, Rock Normal input Volume 6

Dumbell Overdrive Special

Cln 1 Jazz Normal input

Cln 2 Bright Jazz Normal input

Cln 4 Bright Mid Jazz Normal input

Cln 5 Bright Mid Rock Normal input

Cln 8 Bright Rock Normal input

Cln JM Bright Mid Jazz Normal input Edited to mimic a Mayer clean

F1 Mid Rock FET input

F5 Bright Rock FET input

F6 Bright Mid Rock FET input

F7 Mid Rock FET input

F8 Mid Rock FET input

F9 Bright Mid Rock FET input

F11 Rock FET input

FB1 Bright Mid Rock FET input

FB2 Bright Mid Rock FET input

FB3 Bright Mid Rock FET input

FLC1 Mid Rock Boost FET input Carlton eq

FLC2 Mid Rock FET input

LC1 Mid Rock Normal input Carlton eq

N1 Mid Rock Normal input

N3 Mid Rock Normal input

N4 Mid Rock Normal input

N5 Bright Mid Rock Normal input

Fux Overdrive Supreme 100

ODS 1 Rock EQ1

ODS 2 Rock EQ1

ODS 3 Deep, Rock EQ1

ODS 4 Deep, Rock EQ1 pull High

ODS 5 Deep, Rock EQ1 pull High, Mid

ODS 6 Deep, Rock EQ1 pull High, Mid

ODS Ford Deep, Rock EQ1 tweaked to mimic R. Ford tone

ODS LC Rock EQ1 tweaked to mimic Carlton tone

Cln 4 Bright EQ2

Cln 5 Bright, Deep EQ1

Cln 8 Bright EQ2 pull High, Mid, Low

Cln 9 Bright EQ2

Really? Thats tough, the 2020 pack is great! The dumble pack doesnt come with performances right?

No it does not come with performances but I created my own performances with the profiles and did nothing to them to get great tones. Dont get me wrong, the 2020 pack is amazing (I have all of those performances loaded into my Kemper) but I just love that Dumble tone for what I play. Here is my performance from the DPack. I have had it for a while and have played around with the IRs but completely not needed, only did that on a day I was bored recently. Get it, you wont regret it.

I have that and it is my go to pack even after buying the 2020 pack. By far my favorite

Edit: This is one of the big reasons I got the Kemper, I would never be able to afford a Dumble without the Kemper.

My newest is one I put together. Surprisingly it has turned out to be the best sounding and feeling Strat I have ever owned.

2006 MIM body

2004 MIM neck

Schaller locking tuners

Graphtech nut and string tree

Odezza custom pickups

Highwood saddles

Linier taper CTS pots

Orange drop cap

Wired with a single master tone and volume

The failed relic job was not my work, and why the body came to me so cheap.