Posts by ajbsmirnoff

I have profiles I've added an FX loop to (in the signal chain position for that effect) - then resaved them as a new profile. It may be a pain losing a slot in a profile you've bought - or having to edit it to move an FX - but its not the end of the world. While its simpler to have the fx loop locked in place, its also cool being able to have the loop anywhere, making it specific top each profile - which is0 what I eventually settled on. If it was fixed in position - there'd likely be a mob with a whole bunch of pitchforks and torches waving in the air.

I have the FX loop permanently cabled to a patch bay (patchbays are COOL in racks) so its really easy to patch pedals - or a whole pedal board into the loop. You could have a simple loop pedal on your board cabled to the Kemper.

I really like those hangers for the headphones and cables.

I use some (sadly discontinued) folding coat hooks screwed to the side of my Ikea rack. And an Ikea book stand to hold pedals on my desk. #meatballsoptional

Profiling is not hard at all and is done in a few minutes. I found the hardest thing to do was to run the cables to the Kemper and tell my wife to go outside for a while.

Cabling - already in place. The wife thing though.......... tricky.

edit - Actually, Kemper adding the control of profiling to RigManager would be something I should try out.

Maybe.

Full disclosure. I've only used my Kemper to play other folks profiles. (the free profiles in the K, and the Rig Exchange are great. And the profiles available for the unobtanium preamps are super). Sooooooo I may have a bit of learning curve to go through.

Have fun!!
    This was actually the amp I played for years before buying a Kemper. I played it with a Marshall 4x12” 1960V.

It has a lot of great sounds and with the Midi control it can be used for almost any style.

But… I used it mostly in the first two channels since the other channels have a lot of gain, to much form my taste.

Yep - OD2 gets really gainy !

Update.

WooHoo !! I've cabled the input and FX loop to my rack's patchbay to place the preamp into a Helix Fx loop for IR based fun&games. This works VERY well (and is how its going to be used goin forward).

Tried it with my realworld cabs to find - as expected - its great, and delivers volume in large amounts. I have the TSL C212 2x12 cab which was rebadged to the JVMc212 when the JVMs appeared -so its technically the matching cab for the amp (although a 2x 4x12 stack would be the day dream). It tames itself with the master volume fairly well - down to a 'usable at home if there's no one at home' level. Compared with the Boss Katana 100w head this bad boy delivers thump and volume fairly quickly on the master volume whereas the Boss delivers volume a bit more progressively.

Super happy !

So. I bought a Marshall amp. A used one. For my collection.

I had a TSL602 and loved it. Although I sold it as it was too loud unless you were taking its FX send into an IR at non-tinnitus inducing volumes. This one has a dedicated silent recording output. And more channels, gain, knobs and buttons. And MIDI !! Its way heavier than I realised. And physically bigger.

In my defence I was left unsupervised.

Yep

Its cool to be able to use the same cab with different amps / digital amp models to get a feel for how good the models are getting (Amplitubes new Mesa models are really very good). For a free bit of software (they had a giveaway a couple of years ago) its outrageously good.

I use Cantabile to string together FX chains of plugins along with real-world gear instead of a DAW. Nembrini have just releasd a similar application called Nexus which looks simpler to use (are guitarists simple people ? Maybe, maybe not :D).