Posts by ajbsmirnoff

My belated christmas present (to myself.)... a 35 year old Washburn RS-8v in pearl white. Which was missing its trem.

Minor surgery to the trem posts (too close together and too far from the neck) and its back in action with a floyd from my parts drawer. I've since swapped out the pickups for some pafs as the EMG selects are 'not to my taste'. Mahogany body and neck, set neck joint, carved top( which may be maple, or mahogany) carbonite fretboard and cool inlays.

You can help tracking by making your playing super clean, and useing a damper on your strings at the nut. Flat wound strings help to reduce ghost notes too. I have an archtop with flats, and its pretty good with MG2

I'm really looking forward to MG3

What was wrong with the Fishman tripleplay and a usb to midi interface cable like the Roland UM-One or similar ? The Fishman has good tracking - does it not share te midi outside of its own software ?

What you want is a guitar to midi interface that outputs midi through a standard midi socket.

Buy a used Terratec axon (AX-100 rack or AX-50 USB) and a Roland hexaphonic pickup. Both of these are made to trigger external synths and work very well. Or a Roland GR-55 but this isn't good at triggering external synths (latency issues). Some of the earlier Roland GR guitar to midi devices (GR-33 etc) are better at triggering external synth. Or buy all of them if you're me !

https://www.soundonsound.com/r…/terratec-axon-ax100-mkii

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/terratec-axon-ax50-usb

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/gr-55/

The cheapest way to try guitar to midi is JamOrigin's MidiGuitar 2 available as a trial for windows or mac. Play guitar into your audio interface - run the software. it has instruments built in, or can trigger software synths. Couple it with Cantabile - a freee vst host and you can build some fairly cool midi/synth/fx . Other guitar to midi software apps also exist.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

I use a pair of Boss FV500H and a Behringer FC600 (which is a dead on ringer for the FV500H) via midi. They're all technically passive volume pedals which include an expression output (so you can use them as volume pedals with other gear too).

The Boss pedals are very good - as is the Behringer - but for significantly less £££. They're sturdy and feel indestructible - but they're all really large pedals needing a fairly large pedal board.

Ask Burkhard says - you can have one pedal acting for morph/wah/pitch when it needs to - the settings are fairly easy to do.

The settings page is super handy - showing you that your pedals are working - what they're controlling, and their midi assignment (no need to dig out the manual).

Did you get a larger vehicle every year also. I looks huge. You have strong roadies, right? ;)

Ha ha !

Its my office rig. I don't gig - so having something unfeasibly large - is fine. It does have wheels so it can travel to any room on the ground floor.

Stairs are its mortal enemy.

The great thing about good gear - is there are a huge number of ways to use it - it fits in with your needs rather than making you change to fit in with how it works.

I have my Kemper in a digital SPDIF loop from my Helix. I have the Kemper FX loop map onto an FX loop of the Helix.

I have pedals in the Helix FX loops, and can pretty make up any combination of any amp and any FX - just by changing preset - without moving any cables. It might be pricey - and its definitely overkill, but its pretty cool.

So the signal chain can be GTR > Helix FX path 1 > Kemper >Kemper FX loop send > Helix loop in >FX path 2 [any fx or other FX loops] > Helix Loop out > Kemper Fx loop in > Kemper amp profile >Helix FX path 3 > amp (headphones / hifi and monitors / Marshall 9100 and cabs).

To put an FX infront of the Kemper - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 1

To put an FX in the Kemper loop - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 2

To put an FX after the Kemper - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 3

The only downside is that the SPDIF is part of the main multi in / out of the helix so you can't use the 'multi in/out' options - gotta specify 'guitar' and xlr/ 1/4inch.

I have Expression pedals connected to the Helix, and midi'd to control the Kemper. For Kemper profiles I like I make a Helix preset where Helix floor controller matches and control the Kemper FX buttons. The Kemper loop switch activate the loop on the kemper by midi and the loop on the helix at the same time.

Footswitches from left to right Freqout momentary, Trio, Synth hold, Trio start/stop, Helix Toe switch, Profile/performance left/right/up/down. Exps are Vol/Wah/Morph.

This post is more like a 'how to wrap the Kemper in a Helix' post. But its how I use my Kemper sooooooooo.

I wanted a nice home friendly rack for my collection. Premade stuff was either more expesive than I'd hoped - or made of mdf and still expensive. So I made my own rack from Ikea Ivar (old school solid pine). Wheels, sides and a hinged lid were added over time. As the collection grew i made the rack taller each year.

Here's one on the iterations.