Posts by Alfahdj

The cab, to me, is a the tonal fingerprint. The amp portion is more about the gain level and some eq balance levels, but the cab plays a large part in the overall tone. I like to save a few of my favorite rigs' cabs as presets and then use those if I encounter a rig that I don't particularly care for and swap them out. I try my handful of saved cabs and if I still don't like it, I usually take that rig out of my Kemper. I kinda like that the cab separation algorithm isn't "perfect" because even though I use a few of the same actual speaker cabs for most everything, I get very different CAB results because of the different amps being profiled. Even profiles using the same exact cab/speaker can yield varying Cab results which just gives me more options when looking for tones later.

I have to ask, I think your switchback 212 is wonderfully balanced, but having bought the pack, I liked the cab on the OD100 a ton, ¿what are the specs? is it a 2x12? It sounds wonderful with the 69 Marshall (wonderful cleans, never expected that, then I saw it was from Eric Johnson, and it clicked, love it clean, love it overdrived, stock cab and with others), cab mix and matching gives another dimension to this.

My other question regarding this, I am hesitant to buy your IR packs exactly for those reasons, I do not know how much will be lost from the amp taking out the cab and putting one from an IR conversion. Maybe some magic is lost there. Is it better with the kemper cab pack? I wonder how much do you consider it would be lost, I am in the search for some immaculate 4x12 greenback cab sound with fatthead and a royer mic (gives a very realistic full expectrum of what you may hear in the room in my experience).

Just in case anyone wonder, DT 770 250 ohm version doesnt get too loud from the kemper, it needs a bit more Omph, but it is usable, it just doesnt sound its best.

Other reference, I normally use K701, which is basically the same as k702, the sound wonderful and are driven almost properly, the sound is really similar to my studio monitors, the there is that.

I bet DT 770, 80 ohm version are a great pair for the kemper, I just preffer more balanced phones, and the 80 ohms emphasize the bass a bit more and have more recessed mids.

One thing I forgot to mention, DT770 are built like a freakin tank, they will last you your whole life, that is a big pro if you travel or gig with your kemper, as you always want to carry some HPhones around to tune your sound or practice.

I use the following phones: M50 no problems whatsoever, relatively flat but pleasing to hear at, DT770 250 Ohm, flatter but with way lower volume on the output. K701, Even more flat, recessed bass, but really detailed, can be drived properly.

Depending on the mood I use all of them, if you like the price and the sound, you cant go wrong with M50x.

If you ask me, its all on the pickups, the custom jimmy uses, would be alnico 2 wounded (maybe custom jazz SSS picks or some texas specials) with a bit more warm, thats what you mostly hear. Yours I bet are the classic Alnico V player picks, I heard before theses were a bit harsher on the highs and a lot punchier, but to my experience, they just need some tap down presence knob or treble and you are back on track. I do recommend adjusting just the treble section a bit down, and bass a bit up. Also pretty important, if you are not convinced with the chimey sound, get down the height of the picks a bit, that tends to help a bit. Dont up them, your strat is plenty hot by strat strandards anyway.

Last part of the equation, use your volume and tone knob, your player series have extreme definition (more than normal fender ones) so use that exceding curse/bless to your favour with the tone and volume knobs, If I am not mistaken, just a small roll down of tone knob can get you on tone nirvana.

I’ve got Audio Technica ath-m50x‘s. They sound pretty good to me but there are many levels of quality in all equipment. Do you think these would utilise the potential of the interface?

They are fine phones, I like them a lot more for listening than monitoring, but they got quality for the price. They arent the flattest, but still balanced enough to have a real idea of how your rig sound. Audios interfaces come and go, in the end you might buy a preamp for vocals, compressors, but to be fair, a clean and fine interface will last you years until you require something else. Good luck and enjoy.

Looking at it, it seems like a cheap all in one solution to have amp in the room for your kemper, cost technically the same as a unexpensive FRFR, and 50watt is plenty of power for gigs. What I am not sure about is if it is worth to put a kone there, as 1x12 in a very small cab with completely open back will not give you the best sound, and also there is the power amp coloration.

For less you can assembly your own icepower amp (125ASX2 in btl mode is more than enough for most things, the 250ASX2 is overkill as is the power amp in the kemper), buy a kone, and make yourself a cab. Lot of work but I bet it will be a worthy investment of time, and almost the same money for a Poweramp of 225W at 8ohm, and a kemper ready cab. I am doing just that, and I considered buying the katana, until I saw that I am getting more power, a more neutral power section, and all for less money than a Katana Mkii 100w if I decide to get my hands dirty.

In any case, It would be lovely to hear some samples on the katana. Maybe I am making a mistake and a katana is enough.

Ok, points to consider:

* Custom shop guitar means it can have anything on it, the pickups are hot, so that would mean not your typical custom shop Pups, wook on the fretboard we dont know, bridge and so on...

* Says no EQ or external effects, but they still do mastering for publishing the video, which might have an effect on how you end up hearing the result.

*Everybody sells warm bread, I am pretty sure the guitar was hand picked for the amp. No the other way around.

*EQ is your friend, and if you dont have that output, you can always use an screamer with Tone control on 0 to boost the hotness of your Pups and see how your strat overdrives the profile.

Most likely your strat doesnt sound as you expect it to sound, even between american standards you can hear some noticeable differences. Play with a 8 bands eq in the post effects and boost it, set your clean sense, and then check how close you can get.

@ CarloLf: That might be true. But i mainly play music with a certain degree of distortion/saturation. So that's my reality as a guitar player.

I do love my KPA, though ;) I hope my post above is not interpreted as a KPA bashing.

I dont know how distortion heavy is your rig, but I believe most people have not tried 10 different amps with the same cabinets, they end up sounding like you describe, clean or distorted. Most of us have 3 or 4 amps, and maybe 2 or 3 cabinets, so we never get to compare, but if you try 10 amps with the same cabinet, you will get the same feeling of "sameness" as with the Kemper.

I see it as this, the amp is like a great piece of ham or a sausage, there are a ton of variety, but normally is eaten with a bread, if you use the same kind of bread, it will tast like the same kind of sandwich. Bread is an important part of the sandwich, so it will definitely affect the overall flavour, but it will imprint that same nutty dryness on any meat you put on it.

Ok, now to your issue, what you hear sounds like a damaged input transistor or opamp, I know that from working with audio far too much, it seems your processing line is damaged somehow, The problem is electric, with a simple ground problem, it would be only a 60Hz hum or some craclick while playing, but your crackling comes from the noise floor.

Open a ticket as soon as possible, send the audios to kemper support through mail. Sorry to bear bad news :/ to be honest, there has been more issues with the stage than ever were with the other units, I believe some of the design compromises to encapsulate all the components in a tight space is responsible for most of the problems. But who knows...

There is a known issue in the first batches of Stage that were released, something related to grounding problems. Check if touching the shell in the cable does anything with the sound, or if touching the chasis changes the hum, if so, the problem is a grounding problem and I am pretty sure kemper will exchange your unit. If not, then we can help you with the diagnosis, maybe a video will do wonders for that.

I have been using FR from the beginning...not because I wanted to. I don't like tweeters with a guitar signal. I tried using a cabinet, but the speaker is 1/2 your tone. When studio profiles were created using different speakers, I had to tweak every one to match the speaker I was using.

I gave up as it was more authentic using the FR cab in spite of the tweeter.

I'm patiently waiting for the Kone to be released so I can hear how it's supposed to be and retire my K10.

It intrigues me why you say you hate the tweeter, maybe you should play with low pass filter in the stack, that way you technically can prevent the tweeter from even reproducing any sound above the midrange from the woofer.

I gigged on Friday last week and ran my little 1x12 unpowered FRFR...I still love it. It does feel different to a regular cab in that there is better spread and clearer dynamics.

At the moment I don;t miss anything from a cab, but perhaps I need to back and try :)

Its great we have the choice and another choice is on the way!

What a cab does is that it works as a filter, you are forcing sound reproduction through a filter, squeezing some sound on it (composed of the cone, body and front face plus any material attached to the cab), the filtered bits get dissipated on the body of the cab that acts as a dampner, and reflected on the front mesh, thats why the presence of the cab is so different, it is not an optimal system, the reproduction is done in a very inefficient way. That is because of the limitations on past times to reproduce high amounts of sound for presentations shaped the way old amps were designed without concerning too much on the high end reproduction (take the cab section in your kemper and you will note how you arrive to fizzy town). Those vibrations are also felt trough the air pushed from the cones, transporting the sound in a directional manner.

On the other hand, the FRFR intend to reproduce only the sound part, as the physical air and vibrations cannot be transmitted on the same way as a cab, as an FRFR is tought to have high volume with few components, that do not filter or shape the sound, therefore, no too much energy dissipation, and few air pushing (No, sound travels through air, not on it), so even with a digital cab simulation (ala powercab Line 6), you will never get that.

Its all a game of compromises. I do enjoy the nice dynamics of FRFRs, and do not miss the high volumes for the cab to get the sweetspot and "the feel". To each their own. I am trying to get the matrix of my frien to experiment, I am making a semi FRFR with an attenuator to try to push some air in my custom made cab. Not gonna get a nice sound for sure, but I will be able to experiment on this topic, specially when I would be able to get the kones

Low end in a woofer that size is mostly due to body resonance, so the low end its accompained with a plasticky upper low range which is a bit unpleasant, and you have no air push but a lot of vibration. Instead a Subwoofer pushes air and Isolates vibration (well, most of them) to create its lowest registers, which give you a richer lower end. Low end is not the strongest characteristic of a guitar reproduction, but a clean and punchy low end in a good sub will give you wonderful results. I dont connect the subw always, but when I do, its trough an small mixer with a frequency crossover to allow the headrush on a tripod do the 150Hz upwards, while the sub reproduces the lower end.

If you dont use the crossover, it gets a bit muddy, mind you, still sounds good, as FRFR108 drops its dBs below 100Hz Sharply. Its just a bit of tinkering.

For most guitar players makes sense to go back to Cabs as most of us have some lying around, it feels better due to the pushed air from the coils, and the vibration transmited in the room from the heavy mass cabinet. But thats what you lose, soundwise is not too different once you get your eq right. I added a Subwoofer to the 2 Headrush FRFR108 set, and the sound is stupidly big and powerful, it reminds me to the time I used a oversized Mesa 4x12 with a friend trough a matrix amp, it was great with merged profiles, but to get the pushing air, the volume had to go beyond my comfortable listening level for a room (Live is another story I guess). So far, my setup gives me the best of both worlds, not the amount of air for a pushed 4x12, but enough to feel the power on my feet, at a lower more comfortable volume.

That of course is MY ideal setup, as I am not willing to deal with heavyweight cabs and high volume to get a great tone. I have a 2x12 celestion cab which would be a middle ground, but I feel Celestions are not great with all the profiles, I will surely try the Kone, as this would be a awesome proposal to solve my problem of not having a considerable amount of Cabs to mix and match. I guess some people like to match the profile to the CAB they have, but for me is the other way around. So waiting for the kone eagerly.

Whatever you choose, its great to hear the flame is still going strong, I particularly enjoy sharing these kind of experiences, so tempts me to go back and try new/old things, I have a particularly strong hearing (at my age can hear up to 18kHz which is not common) so I bet my liking will evolve with the years.

Happy playing :D

I was looking into frfr options. What’s the best way to connect one of these headrush cabs...1/4 speaker cable or xlr?

The cheapest most at hand solution, if you already have a XLR, go that way, if not 1/4" instrument cable, the only difference is that technically XLR will deliver more volume to the Speaker, but it is not needed anyway, chanel balance would make no difference at all. Speaker cable is overkill.