Posts by Alfahdj

You have 3 folders of LP profiles included in which LP is in the name of the folder in RM. It's easy enough to just look at the stack amp model to know if LP was applied. Naming an old rig to something like "Mars 800 Muff LP" would suffice for now, but I think it's just a matter of time until all profiles will be LP anyway.

The question for the author would be if he profiled for LP to begin with or added an amp model afterwards.

I have not yet profiled an amp yet but I'm ready now with LP especially with an antique Marshall practice amp to bring back some sweet 80's memories.

I put modified (my normally more played amps) in () with what they mean, in this case (LP), which gets me to those profiles fast in the browser, and identifies what is modified. I have several like (Eq) modified, or (MxC) which means with matched cab, (Ps) which means a profile with the whole amount of mods and slots ready for performance, etc. etc.

And let me add, that if it indeed does model gain staging and nuances properly, this is end game, we wont see companies catching up in the near future, and remember Mr. Kemper saying they have actual patents about the gain knob and liquid profiling. A perfect clone of my vintage twin would be a dream come true.

Does it? ok forgive my lack understanding we all a day in here. if thats true, v cool

I still get your point, the gain part was always an issue for me going up from the profiled amp, going down was not that different from the amp BUT in my own experience, it is not perfect either. I see I loose some mids together with increasing highs when lowering the gain in real amps, thing I see not in a profile most of the time. So the LP does calculate the in-between states as before, but now the rate at which the gain is set, is limited by design and also has a different curve, making the approach more amp like. Wich is not clear is if the particular gain stage is simulated, which would imply that those changes I hear in the real amp are taken into account. I wont know until I do my twin reverb profile, and get the whole block mad at me for doing the profiling at max gain (last time I played crazy telling them it sounded like an alien signal transmision to me).

lonestargtr Hi Michael, I might be wrong, but the Liquid profile you put in the free pack, is it the plexi from the 2020? I adore those profiles. Havent tried it yet, but if it is, it would be the most wonderful giving ever from your side, that plexi is priceless.

And in your opinion, whats the deal with the gain? I see each LP adjust the gain range, but to me the real change comes from the brightcap parameter (which I will dig deeper with some spectrum analyzers in ableton later). I dont see too many changes in the gain behaviour, just it looks it does not go to the extremes the generic kemper setup goes. I mean, the twins I have now have a reasonable gain level on max when adjusted to LP, but the colouration from those states seem more or less the same.

I also want more regular features to come up, as I am also in a very comfortable place where I know what I like (the same 10 profiles that cover all my needs) and just tweak a bit here and there, but to counterpoint your argument:

what is left? I honestly cant think on anything really crucial or important for me at least, and all the cool things I can come up are most likely hardware limited (2 profiles in stereo by example).

Honestly I never imagined they would get the USB interface part, so I am open for surprises, but I dont know where they would go from here. The hot thing right now is the creation of NAM which is free, or the tonex, so if anything, maybe a better refining algorithm would be something that makes sense to get to that point, but for me, it doesnt change anything.

Some digging on the amps will get you close to any of the basic tone stacks they already added, but I also use a bunch of more obscure or rare amps in my top 10 profiles, for example:

Top Hat King Royal (it is based in a vox amp BUT with a modified tone stack that includes mids and treble)
    ODS (depending on the day and the placement of the sun, each tone stack was different modified versions of the Deluxe/Twin stacks, but the mids are no way similar, nor the gain staging)
    Bogners in general (they have their own thing going on with their tone stack)

The more I look about the update, the most important parameter is the brightcap setting, wich changes completely the behaviour of the gain knob, mark my words, but thats the new "definition" control for tweaking profiles for a nicer overdrive/distorted sound.

Very oposite extremes, but for eric johnson I use the Marshall plexi 50w from the michael britt 2020 pack, both the clean and the overdriven tones are as close as I can get to johnsons mojo. Just remember the trick is rolling of the treble for those creamy leads once you go solo mode. For pantera I have no idea, havent heard them since my highschool days.

We see and hear the world not as it is but as we are ourselves. You can measure it or not but I am of the opinion that guitarists should concentrate on their skills and musicality instead of creating or following gear or tone religions. Yes, I can make good songs with "bad" gear, so can millions of others, even on a professional level. They can make others happy with their bad, unmeasured tone.

Than we can agree there is "Bad" gear. Again, you doing whatever you want and achieving results with it, it is a story completely appart. I can make my old spider IV amp sound good in a song, but it does not mean it is as good or as bad as a Kemper or Axe Fx. Thats why everybody should be informed before buying their next hundred/thousand dollars piece of gear, not everything is as good or as bad as everything.

Guys calm down. ToneX just sounds as as good or bad as everything else. I've learned that trying to get others to see things the way you do is always wrong. Especially when there's no right and wrong. Any modern unit will sound great if you know exactly what you're doing. You can make the Kemper sound bad with just a flick of the wrist. The focus on one's own abilities in terms of listening and playing is the most important thing. Then every unit sounds good. And accept that there will always be guitarists who will hate your tone while others will love it.

I wholeheartedly dissagree, there are parameters of measurable quality when talking about good or bad sounding amps. You can argue however you like about what you like or not, and most often than not if you like it, there are one or more of those parameters influencing your decisions. But your opinion is yours and just yours, and not measurable. There are horrible sounding modern hardware out there, in all price bracketes. I can measure the dynicamic response from the amp to the input, and that to me is a characteristic that makes kemper really appealing as it feels different to most digital modelles, while also can check the frequency response from the output, and make A/B testing against a real amp, and find truly possitive comparable results, which imply that the kemper has made a quality reproduction of the sound it intents to capture. You cant say the same from mustang amps, or the spark amp, or a headrush pedalboard. Not even from the quad cortex to some extent. I havent tested the tone x, but I can run the same tests and compare. And leaving behind my taste, we can know if tone x actually achieves what it tries, or not. And thus, if it sounds as good or not as what it tries to replicate.

Honestly I would double dip in the kemper mini concept as I am diying to replace my HX stomp, not even the last update keeps me interested enough. A reduction in the knobs and buttons UI is not a bad thing in my opinion, If somehow you can access all functions (even if a bit cumbersome) some way or the other, it would be an amaizing device. I use the kemper moslty because of the profiles, so I dont need most of the bells and whistless all the time.

Add that I have a cheap ipad mini laying around somewhere in my gadgets closet, and a kemper mini would go with me everywhere.

Most kemper reviews were made before the update where they introduced most of the reverbs, before that, legacy reverb was OK at best, and thats where the comparison comes from. Heck, kemper spring and plates are up there to fender owns emulations.

LOL. I would never confess to that with this group.

What is so bad about it? this is not fractal forums, we have a more peaceful life here, we have seen the light :D

I have a HX stomp, use amplitube in my ipad, tried the positive grid, tried the quad cortex, and (shamelessly) my most gigged amp was a Line 6 spider IV many years ago.... lol

Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe that my use case is so unique. Seems that the powered toaster/rack was created to allow people to use Kemper as a guitar amp, into a guitar cab. That is how I (and several friends/collaborators) use it 95% of the time. I would suspect that many people don't have a PA or studio set up at home to demo sounds from the audience/engineer's perspective. I create sounds that sound good thru the guitar cab; I just want a more reliable way to get those tones back into the XLR outs.

But as i've said... all good! Thanks!

Once you come to the realization that you NEVER sounded the same thru the PA or FOH, then you understand why kemper is so good. Its not a hinderance, it is actually an improvement.

But if you want the same sound trough your cab, honestly the only thing you need to do is profile an amp with your cab section, lock your cab section in the kemper and do your tweaking with monitor off, that way whatever you hear trough your cab, the result in the front house will be the mic version of it 90% (or even 95% if you profiled in a very controlled studio).

neither did I until I tried to find pure nickel strings. Apparently they don’t come with a 42 on top.

Honestly this is not a sizeable difference, what I got when I used them is that I found I had a deep groove to correct in my saddle because the E was ringing a bit when strumming, but you cant feel the difference. These are lights/super lights all right.

Thanks Paults, I have a bottle, never thought to use it on my hardware to be honest!

Honestly any general use guitar cleaner will do, the crome in general es resistant to that, only some colors get discolored with polishing but also with use, so there is no reason to not clean it. Dunlop 65 is a safe bet IMO

That would be awesome, but I have bad news, there is no way for the kemper to support that kind of funtion because the kemper usb port is hardwired for data transfer of Generic Storage devices. But maybe we are wrong and it has actual driver support.

In that case, count me in

+1

Make a kickstarter Kemper, make this happen

In this example why not just type King Royal into the search field then sort the results by Gain . No need to search everything alphabetically and arguably quicker than navigating folders.

I think you still dont get it, the OP and I want to be able to do that in the profiler, not in rig manager, I dont have a stage with a ipad On-stage all the time, I have a toaster I take with myself all the time, and just want a proper way to have my profile organized IN the kemper. Thats all, and I honestly would find it wonderful for my light OCD .