Posts by Alfahdj

The recording quality of the UMC404HD is pretty top notch until you get to the 1000 dollar mark, I my opinion is a great small unit. Unles you need more inputs for drums, I say you are better off buying a nice expensive mic preamp (I have an old Air mic preamp) and a compressor (prefferable a rack studio compressor). Your recording quality will go miles above.

I have no wife to hide from so here it goeeeesss

Mesa Boogie Mark V combo

Katana Artist mk2

Schecter solo 2 custom

Fenter custom shop 1985

HX Stomp

Second Headrush FRFR108

Mackie 10 inch monitors

BAM200

Second Icepower ASX125

2 kemper kones

Paracho made custom nylon guitar

and thats all I think. Not so much, but not few by any means.

I don't really understand why you referenced "free" with regard to firmware updates. No modeling company I'm aware of currently charges for updates.

There was a time when videogames had free updates and patches with new features, then EA happened. Please dont give them ideas, or they might charge for stomps or added features. Is a valid concern, also after hearing that the plini and other models might be paid and not free.

And a big but not insignificant question (and my apologies if this is off base in any way); how badly is the QC infringing on Kemper's patents, if at all? I sure hope they're not, as that can be a massive mess and money sink for any company.

I dont think so, for the few we know on how kemper works, it is a different technik with a similar aproach, and IF by any reason there is a patent issue, dont worry, we will know pretty soon as QC gets to the stores.

Neural networks just figure out a bunch of parameter sets to feed a model. These parameters can be very sophisticated. They don't create the model. it should be possible to expose some of the model parameters to the user.

That we dont know, they could be using a fuzzy neural network, where you can assign the weight to each module (feedback), and that way you could technically use the same modules to modify parameters. But most neural networks are not that customizable, as they only create a set of modules that by themselves have not a direct translation to what we might want to control. The correct way to actually have control over very specific parameters is, for example, that you make a network for each parameter (one for transient responses for example, another for clipping/saturation behaviour, and so on so forth) and you train them at the same time so you can later modify gain/amplitude and time response for each of them. I seeeeriously doubt thats the case, but again, I will wait and se what can they achieve with updates. I believe they will focus on interface, models and fx before doing anything to the capture function, but who knows....

As someone who mainly records, I'll tweak a profile rather than dismiss it if I think it's salvageable, and though I'm familiar with the advanced amp parameters, in my case, 9 out of 10 times, they're not the right tool for the job, but like I said, that's me. I have an Axe-Fx III, as well, and of the numerous advanced parameters, I virtually never adjust bias and/or sag. EQ is often my weapon of choice. That and a bit of compression.

Different types of players I guess, I am more a feel guy, it should feel as I like it for me to enjoy it, thats where I put my finger, the amp compression setting, the tube sag and shape, and of course definition, are my most used weapons to get the perfect feel and sound. One example is the Carlos Santana sound, to get it you need extreme amounts of sag and a lot of compression, most profiles dont get there, but with these parameters, I can just get the post woodstock santana sound with my SG in a lot of amps that were saggy to begin with. QC sounds good, lets see if they actually support it in the "kemper way", or is more in line with Helix, adding a couple of new stomps and amps, some bugfixes, each year more or less. I had an Axe in my possesion, and to be honest, its maybe too much in the ways of advanced settings.

As a long time Kemper user, I don't generally reach for Tube Bias, Tube Shape, Power Sagging, or even Clarity and Definition when shaping profiles. I almost always reach for Gain and/or BMTP. To be honest, the advanced amp parameters don't usually shape the tone in ways that suit my needs, but that's me.

As I player I get you, most of the time we discard profiles that are not just "there", but once you get picky about the tone and dynamics you like, these parameters matter more and more. When testing a profile, I try basic EQing, and after that, some definition and clarity. If it doesnt get me, the love ends there. But if it does, and I feel that it needs a bit of sag, or the saturation can get more raw, then I go and delve deeper. Not having that option would limit my gallery to maybe 8 or 9 profiles that are almost perfect from the beginning.

And for my surprise, most professional profilers I use, actually have these settings tweaked a lot. It all started when I tried rmpacheco morgan amp, the first thing I notice was the treble boost and wild amp parameters. So I believe these settings matter few for the casual player, but way more to those who actually profile amps.

This argument that the "QC doesn't give you options for shaping the capture!" is either misinformed or dishonest.

No, it is a fact as of now that appart from bass, mid, treble and gain, you have no other options to change how the capture behave, putting compressors, graphic eqs, phase modulators etc. is shapping the signal path, not the capture character. Appart from definition which works as a very global eq knob, I dont see how you can change tube shape and bias on the amp with stomps or pre/post processing, just as an example.

In theory you can change anything, but good look trying to modify the nature of the dynamics in the amp with ducking and other tricks. I remain open minded and will hold for at least a year to see where the QC is going with updates, but again, kemper still is endgame for tone IMHO.

Many people seem to be slamming the QC because it doesn’t appear to have in depth post capture tone shaping options like Definition, Amp Compression, Tube Shape etc. Bear in mind it i a software driven product there is nothing to stop Neural adding them at a later date in the same way as Kemper did. Many people in the forum are keen to point out that the Kemper they own now is barely recognisable compared to the original device they bought 10 years ago.

I might be wrong, but bear in mind the kemper still seems to have a different approach, which is using a basis to adjust parameters and get the model. Neural networks on the other hand do not use that, they create the networks trough learning, and after that, you are pretty much set on the behavior of the capture. This might restrict the flexibility required to adjust dynamics or transient responses. But yeah, might be wrong, lets wait.

A big one, anyone who actually goes live, knows the big advantages of having the power unit inside. The unreliability of a power brick is high after a couple of travels.

Well, I'm not "cancelling" anybody, I'm contradicting where I feel it's justified.
    No, the threads are not fake news, but as ckemper has stated before, despite all efforts from Kemper to work with people making such claims nothing ever came out of it. No proof. People will hear what they want to hear, and people will believe what they want to believe.

Proof would be to discriminate a "Kemper signature sound" in a double blind test reliably, with a statistic significance.

This hasn’t happened as far as I know.

Brother, I am in the same boat,I have never heard that, and still, we have accounts of new people defending to death the supposed virtues of the QC, and promoting "defects" on the kemper profiling. Let them decide by themselves, let the unit hit the store. For me the fact that you cant edit anything after the capture, is enough to shy me away from the qc. Dont even bother into making them reasoning, a quick search in the forum would answer them, but lools like the point is to make noise.

If they truly have machine learnining in their process, they also do the same as refining, just in another sense. The sequence sent for almost 3 minutes straight is a set sequences that tries to feed the learning modules so the networks are adjusted towards the actual output vs the expected. A non invasive way to do refining yould be a "refining sequence that explores all the difficult transient and dynamic characteristics, multiple times, so the profile compares back and forward. You hit a button, and wait a minute for the sequence to complete (maybe the results wont be as good, but it might be a more homogeneus method than refining). Just pleaaase, do not ever remove the old refining method, all my favorite profiles turned spot on after refining.

If anyone ask me, its just the "new guys" and the media suddenly talking about a "cocked wah" sound in the kemper, never heard that, and also had a debate about the "signature kemper tone" and we came to the conclusion most people confuses their rig or frfr tone with "kemper signature tone". Its silly....

The capture is represented as an amp block so you can still add whatever blocks you wish to it. EQ/compressor/gain for instance. It's not like the capture is the all in one. From what I have seen, captures vary greatly on the Kemper which is why I have about 20 JCM 800 profiles both paid and unpaid. I'm interested to see if the QC cloud will have the same.

I believe you dont even know how all the amp parameters work, as they are not "eq" or simple "compresors". There is nothing the like in the QC, with the amp parameter you can change the pick dynamics, the general response of the profile, the transient response, the clipping caracteristic of the tube, the sagging of it. There is nothing like it in the QC.

What?!

:D:D:D

No, no, he's got a point. I have 7 guitar fellas who own a katana, one who uses a helix, and another which uses a kemper. Counting me, it is a relatively small market compared to all the dudes I know play guitar.

Or simply try to reverse engineer KPA. ;)

Most straightforward way to get knowledge about what's inside, is just look there.

Either took 10 years or strong patents for someone to do something along the lines. Its not that easy. I still believe that the system uses a transfer function with the mic as an observer to feed the system and get z transform of the amp, but thats just me, guessing because it is not easy to prove without a way to look into the code.

What is Binary Thinking? Binary thinking, also known as dichotomous thinking, happens when even complex concepts, ideas, and problems are overly simplified into being one side or another. The rest that you mention is just garbage so I will stop there. You are now blocked

Wow, as if your way of thinking is way beyond others to declare they are telling "garbage". Actually discarding something as garbage without acknowledging any worth of it, is more in line to binary thinking. You are playing yourself.

From what I learned today they need a headphone amplifier and I'm not willing to buy that.

Boy, if the new headphones sound better you can scratch 90% of my comments here complaining about muffled profiles....

One word of warning, you might want to try the kemper with some studio speakers, the experience is different on headphones, not better. I normally use the cans late at night, rest of the day I just use my power amp and cab, or a par of headrush in stereo. Even with my best phones (T1 beyer + amp) there is no comparison, speakers sound better.

The DT 880 Pros that I have also have 250Ohm and the Kemper does seem to drive it but the audio image is poor. The 80 Ohm version of the 770 would apparently sound better. I'm definitely selling mine, hoping that the new ones will finally sound ok.

DT880 are a nice par of cans, I say keep them.

This is very funny: I just spent a couple of minutes with the headphone department of Thomann and the guy suggested exactly these headphones, too, so I ordered them.

Turns out the Beyerdynamic have too high Ohm for both the Kemper headphone output as well as my 6i6 Focusrite (despite it stating that it can power 250Ohm).

So the Audio Technica it is.

I have DT700 250 ohm, they work fine with the kemper, ok volume. Also have some M50s, and K701. It can drive all, but in the case of the Beyer, volumen is fine, not at its top, but driven ok.