Posts by Alfahdj

I was looking into frfr options. What’s the best way to connect one of these headrush cabs...1/4 speaker cable or xlr?

The cheapest most at hand solution, if you already have a XLR, go that way, if not 1/4" instrument cable, the only difference is that technically XLR will deliver more volume to the Speaker, but it is not needed anyway, chanel balance would make no difference at all. Speaker cable is overkill.

I have some evo PUPs in my main guitar, I never touch the distortion sensitivity on my kemper as I enjoy the nuances and changes from guitar to guitar, and profile to profile. But clean sense, I have it in -2 on several amps, to get the degree of clean volume I want for when I roll the pot on my guitar, without having to use a compressor mid performance. Take it as a compressor without the sudden compactation of signal for the distortion part (tough I have notices some bumpiness when clear sense is turned up on overdriven or distorted profiles).

Thanks so much, I'm waiting on a Cioks Big John to arrive and the pass-through is 2A, so it sounds like it's unlikely to work. The FRFR is being delivered to a rehearsal space in Germany ready for tour, so I've got no way of checking for the next three weeks.

Finally, measured, in idle, 220v, the headrush consumes around 3.8A of current, and while playin and mid volume goes to 4.3A, that means the headrush uses around 750W+ of nominal real power, so there you have it, 2000W looks like marketing, at most this thing would be a 1200W peak speaker, but it indeed sounds like a louder one. Still, no luck for your pedalboard :/ wont make it with 2A

The back panel of the Headrush indicates a T10 fuse for 120 volts, a T5 fuse for 240 volts, and a Power Consumption of 800 watts.

So, a 10 amp current draw at 10 volts, and a 5 amp current draw at 240 volts.

Just careful there, the rating of the fuse is to protect the circuit from overload, but it does not correspond always to the total load of the whole system, the fuse can be connected to a part of the circuit, or directly to the line input, if the later, then yes, we can expect that will be the maximum load os the line, but if not, the fuse can be measuring current in a diferentiated state of power. Anyway, 5A is way above of the connection he has on his peddalboard, so it would be a no-no

Thanks so much, I'm waiting on a Cioks Big John to arrive and the pass-through is 2A, so it sounds like it's unlikely to work. The FRFR is being delivered to a rehearsal space in Germany ready for tour, so I've got no way of checking for the next three weeks.

The thing here is just calculations that are made by assumptions on the data we have, will get us not really close to the real number. Nominal voltage Wattage is not displayed on the box, and nowadays, nobody knows what the heck nominal means for audio equipment "at medium volume? 3/4 volume? both inputs? only one input?", so take all with a grain of salt, and in the meanwhile, I will try to measure the speaker myself, so I can give you an idea where are you going.

I'm struggling to find some info on the FRFR112 and hoping someone here may be able to help. Is anyone able to tell me what current draw it takes? I'm looking at a pedal power supply that has an AC pass-through and wondering if I can also get it to power a cab.

Ok, for reference you can make the classic calculation for current, the FRFR has a supposed peak of 2000W, which would give you a peak current of 20A at 120v, and around 12A at 220V, for nominal operation, they normally operate at 60% peak power, so your nominal current would go arround 12A and 7.2A. Assuming you live in europe, then I would not connect your FRFR112 unless the passtrough supports at least 10 amp. But most passtrough connections do, so I think you would be fine.

I can measure mine anyway, just give me a couple of days for weekend to arrive so I can check personally with my FRFR108 (has the same electric configuration to the 112, just smaller coils, same power, should be fairly the same).

Evo PUPs are pretty hot for a passive humbucker, they sound nice on the matchless, they break lovely, as the crunch gotten from them is really creamy. Not as crystal clear as a single coil, ever, but the sound is pretty nice. I dont like active humbuckers, so I have no idea how it sounds like with them.

I do play a schecter C1-FR with Evolutions PUPs in a Matchless DC30, sounds lovely and you can dial your tone nicely with the volume knob :D

Thank You Bro' for this info - will keep you informed :)

I forgot to stress out that, maybe 80% of marks tone comes from a stratocaster mid+neck position, and playing with fingers, a bit of flesh and nail on the tumb. Thats how he makes its guitar cry crispy passages when he goes for a bend or a legato. But in theory any fender amp plus chorus and verb will get you there, it just happens that for me, the MB profile (the one in the free pack) works wonders, you dont need to even reduce the gain or something else.

PD: Chorus is used before the amp section in very low amounts on the mix ration, and this is the same as Mark's live setup.

Advantages software wise none, hardware wise, you could use a normal guitar cabinet, if you have one, 600watt is plenty loud for rehearsal levels. If you want to go the unpowered route (I suppose you do if you plan using IRs), then get it connected to your monitors as a start, use your best pair of headphones and eq the output at prefference, and finally get a powered cabinet, being a Headrush FRFR108, Yamaha DXR-10, Line 6 Powercab 112 or others.

Regarding recommendations:

Sultans of swing: Go with the free Michael Britt Blackface Deluxe reverb, eq a bit the treble depending your guitar, boost mids, add a small compressor and very low saturation tube screamer, a bit of chorus, take out the legacy reverb and add a spring reverb with very few dripstone effect. That plus an strat with neck+mid pickup position and you got Sultans of swing tone.

Some comments from my side without trying to sound agressive or anything, just in an educational note : )

Ok, first off, there is not such thing as "texture" for tone, there is texture for music composition and appreciation, but not for tone, as texture is a combination of characteristics in an arranged piece of music.

Second, what you describe as a richer sound, is called tone coloration, the "hi fi" sensation you feel from the amp its caused by the treble, that might be too high for the intended porpouse of the gear, an FRFR

Dynamics come from the kemper if you are using the FRFR section of the powercab, and very few dynamics come from the amp simulation, which I did not find impressive, the "amp in the room" sound is just a bass heavy EQ with a sharp cut on the 120 Hz area that makes the sound more omnidirectional without too much boomyness (You can get the same trough some EQing with any FRFR cab).

I did test the powercab when hunting for a FRFR, it was an instantaneous no-no for me.

As a recommendation, you should always try gear at rehearsal volume, as the powercab sounds tiny with a band (heard it before) and starts sounding digital with the amp cab simulations at higher volumes.

On the other side, glad you found something you liked : )

No one here has the same ears, and I can find something displeasing, you might find it just about right for your tastes. The powercab is a fine cab for modelers and kemper, but for me it was too expensive and also bulky for my needs. Try to tame the highs from the EQ out from your kemper a bit down to get the sound as flat as possible, compare with your reference monitors, you will enjoy having more uniformity on the eq across all your profiles, as most of them are pre-eqed to a perfectly usable sound.

About 1% of Kemper owners participate on this forum.

Commenting on this thread should become the new rite of initiation for the forums, it is such a cornerstone of the experience, that we will be talking about it way in the long future when the bluetooth cloud integrated kemper 2 or something releases.

Welcome to the not-so-small family, I think I can speak by many that music has been one of the best companions you can have in harsh moments.

Regarding your question, this is how I see the kemper options:

Small band or weekend muscisian: Powered toaster / Stage

Professional band giging muscisian: Powered rack / Stage

Home studio musician: Unpowered toaster / Unpowered rack

Professional studio musician: Unpowered rack

In my opinion, the less desirable kemper function wise would be the unpowered toaster, but in the end, between the toaster and rack comes down to look preferences, being fair, the routing and form factor for the rack version will be more comfortable long term in the studio than any other option. That is, until they release the editor (if THEY DO, this is an inside joke nowadays) were I see myself having an stage below the computer and modifying parameters on the PC screen. Any option is great, and in my opinion, "Amp in the room" sound is not that big of a deal.

Ok, in a serious note, if they do deliver the editor (whenever they do) and add as a cherry on the top, more profile features, I will be looking for a donation account/box or something, I think we do not deserve these guys.

I am hoping for something like USB compliant MIDI support (opens up so many possibilities), and MAAAYBE more distortion pedals (Klon clone, I am looking at it), this would make the most awesome update ever, not even new reverbs would top these.

Kind of makes sense for them to add midi support as I believe they are doing so through the editor, I would finally use my perfectly fine Line 6 shortboard mkII. Crossing fingers.

people, maybe we should look to the future, the editor is the future, yes, but maybe we are being short sighted, I expect to see the Fast Food chain for kemper owners soon enough, or a worldwide rental services of transportation with included toasters to never stop practicing, maybe a 5 stars resort for muscisians, who knows? the sky is the limit :D