Posts by Alfahdj

Holy moly for the purists, tone wood cultist will come and treathen you because you just killed a very fine guitar with the use of cheap and lavish aluminum XD LOL I love the work, it looks surreal and shiny, I bet it is even better in person.

Today is more about sampling and laying down midi patches than actually playing, but the market is so saturated that even EDM is dying as a genre and its all about Trap and Reggaeton. I sound like an old guy here but even a midi guitar is too much for most folks nowadays, they just get a cheap midi keyboard, get some samples and go to town with the cheapes DAW/pirated DAW they can get. Oh, and a cheap usb condenser mic, because most youngs I know dont even know what a dynamic mic is, or what is phantom power.

Regarding guitar, I can tell with confidence of professionals and players alike, that guitar is harder to get into, piano is more straightfoward, and that is said by a master on musical arts from berkley that I have the chance to befriend some years ago. The thing is, guitar is more "fun" and also more popular than piano, but it hurts to start playing and requires more subtlety to play some things (fingerpicking is a whole new world that most guitar players ignore).

If you want hard playing instrument, then you can get up the notch and play strings, the precission and discipline required for even playing something middly heareable is astonishing high. Piano and even guitar are really forgiving compared to cello, viola or violin.

This, if anything, the kemper is already consolidated as a tool, rather than a novelty. Quad cortex might get there, but for being consolidated as such, is still a long road away. I do want something close to kemper for them to step their game up too, but for me and my ears the Quad doesnt cut it yet. We will see in the future.

I came to say that I know uno4kemper works in the latest update, but kemper support came before to tell the same. Any other company would have said "uno4kemper is not offially supported by us, we cannot help you, go buy our remote instead", but not kemper support. Love you guys.

Interesting concept - by making the mic a "known," you could conceivably add another level of separation. My guess is that variations in mic placement, room acoustics, preamps, cables, etc. would make this pretty difficult or impossible to implement though. But who knows! Kemper did something I thought was impossible (profiling) before I saw it in action.

I come from a world where people believe it is justifiable to pay for cables with prices as high as a kemper kabinet. Really in the grand scheme of things, cables are negligible. Preamps would be part of the "mic" section, and finally, room acoustics is the last piece of the puzzle, together with mic placement. Thats how I see it anyway.

Sure there's a bit of room for slight improvements but what I'd like to see from CK/Kemper/Virus--and I'd understand if there isn't as much interest in a guitar forum-- is a Kemper of synths: digital modular where you can profile each module. It's all patched digitally, like a Kemper take on VCV rack

I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but most synths have envelopes and LFO, which are time domain functions which alter the signal. If anything kemper cant do is material with time domain characteristics, thats why you cant record and have amps with rotary effects or chorus built in. You would technically do the kemper technique to profile all the parts individually excluding LFOs and maybe some filters/envelopes, but then you are simply modelling oscilators/wavetables/simple filters, and that if only the synth allows you bypass all the other things (modullar synths allow for this, not so much east coast style synths). And yes, I am a synth nerd too which happen to love guitar a bit more than sound design.

All mechancal parts have wear over time, in the case of the encoder, it might be dirt or wear which is interfering with the direction or type track of the encoder, giving missinformation on the reading (skipping from one place to the other, changing directions sudenly, etc. ) . Contact cleaner might help if its dirt, but as an enclosed piece, the dirt will regroup and bring more problems. Temporary fix maybe, but if the problem is rust or wear, you are screwed as removing rust will still leave a damaged or weak track, and wear is a non return ticket for the component health. Also last time I saw the board on my kemper, the pots are tightly sealed, thats why contact cleaner might not even make it inside.

Sad this happened, but it might be better idea to send it for exchange. In any case I can testify on kemper team being efficient and supportive in any case of repair, an also not expensive at all.

I am rather in for Kemper Pickup that translates the guitar used for profiling better. I always wonder why not a single profile sounds the same with my gear. Maybe it is mainly the speakers used but knowing that the signal chain to the output section is the same would be a giant leap. Anything else Themis adaption to the amplyfing territory. But that is only me.

Variac guitars are the closest to this we have, they are really cool but they dont end up convincing, there is always something really off. If you put that processing power into the kemper, Maybe you cuould end up with a cool result. Maybe one day the ultimate kemper setup would be all kemper to have an accurate access to the most versatile rig in the planet.

Something like Slate's modeling mic or Antelope's Edge Duo? There are already solutions like this on the market.

it is not the intended target, modeling mics exist, this is more like the Kone, a blank slate where the kemper can sculp frequencies on detail to achieve the "imprinting" (or modeling, however you call it) of several mics, but also substract the influence of the mic to get the most accurate amp-to-ear comparable sound (which is the supposed purpose of the pure cab setting). You could always use a modeling mic with the kemper, but once profiled you are stuck with the result. BUT with a Kemper mic, you could technically change mic config after the profile is done, and sincerily, removing the mic influence in the frequency response would have for me the most interesting result, for recording and performing.

Looking on the Philosophy of kemper to provide solutions in a very creative and convenient way, I am wondering whats next in terms of "getting closer". We already have a terribly accurate speaker imprinting tech, and competition is already on the turf, so....

When looking to the profiling process, this would be chain for processing the signal:

Test signal(kemper) > Amp > Speaker > Mic > (kemper)

The kemper knows the test signal and thus can emulate the result of {Amp+Speaker+Mic} with the profiling algorythm.

With direct you get to separate the {Amp} from the {Speaker + Mic}

I know mic placement would be the last variable that kemper can not calculate, but technically, if you create a "kemper" mic with a very defined response curve (kinda difficult but not so much considering how consistent are the batches of SM57 I have had before), you technically have no variable left. Heck, you can even aproximate room response with the same mic. The algorythmn for estimating the effect from the mic would take a while to get right, but it is very possible with the right equipment (high end test heads for HiFi equipment already do this).

If done, we would have the holy grial of amp duplication: an AMP button, a CAB button, and a final MIC button, where all can be turned ON/OFF, having the most accurate repressentation ever, hearing the amp without the mic, AND maybe using MIC IMPRINTS. This for me would be the end-game for kemper.

It is a feature request but not really, as I know this might be too much hard work, but hey, if they make it one day, I would be very impressed, and very very very happy.

PD: Lets be real, pure cabinet is nice, but it doesnt cut it.

In built synths if done properly might need more processing power than your average effect, but hey, it is impressive how they are managing all the reverb and delay quality addons, on top of the new fuzz and drive. Maybe possible, but I dont see this as a priority.

As of kemper 2, there is just moving forward, but I am expecting also something revolutionary. How about a "kemper mic" :)

I have used dimarzio evo 2, and also JB on the bridge for quite some time, the Evo 2 clears wonderfully in a strat, and it is driven enough for high gain, but the JB sounds more chunky and powerful. It all depends what you want. In the end I stopped using Humbuckers in my strats after I put a EJ fender set on, the bridge single coil is astounding.

Lastly, something to truly consider if you dont mind extra wiring, fishman fluence modern are all around SICK pups, any of the voicings, I used the neck in the bridge position with great results, because both voicings sounded too agressive in the bridge one, but so far I was impressed. Thise fluece ended in my schecter c1 fr, while my strat has again SSS config.

Somewhere over the forum there is a PDF with a very detailed and methodical test of each-and-every parameter on the kemper (its not kemper made, a user did this), and in the section for pure cabinet you can see how on the upper treble frequencies of the output, the peaks are smoothe out, the result as a more even curve on the treble, which helps with the characteristic problem mic frequencies. I havent used gullfoss, but frankly speaking, I dont use too many postproduction, and you can get a more desirable result if you know how to manually master any of your tracks according to the needs of the mix. For guitars I sometimes smooth the treble with a high band compressor, I get sibilance out of certain notes, specially when hearing solos. YMMV, but all post processing automated techniques have their shortcomings, as does pure cabinet on the end result (I dont like it for recording the guitar, just for playing on a FRFR speaker).

After a year and a half waiting it finally came! Ormsby RC One. 7 string multiscale with 27 frets. 12th-27th frets are scalloped.

Thats a monster all right. I am a scalloped frets agnostic, but it looks like you have all the specs maxed to 999 on the fretboard (It would need stainless steel frets for that).

Unless you are doing stage volume no FOH, a kemper kab will sufice and give you the best of both worlds (amp-in-the-room vs frfr).

Another thing to consider is if you play more tight and agressive stiles, a 112 cab like the kabinet will come short in the focus of the sound and roundness of the bass. In that case I recommend you build a 212 with kones (just get someone skilled to make the structure with plywood or MDF, pine wood gave me bad results).