Posts by santidie86

Hi Guys

I was wondering how do you set up your kemper outputs and daw input in this case scenario:

tracking mono guitars and bass for rhythm

Tracking stereo guitars for lead

i am trying to find a way I don’t have to constantly change my output when changing from guitar rhythm mono to guitar stereo for leads and the same for tracking bass guitar.

I use mainly my spdif output which I set on stereo master all the time.

I normally track 2 guitars hard left and right for rhythm

And 3 leads which are center and 50 left and 50 right when I harmonise my melodies.

is there any phasing issue if I track everything in stereo and pan hard my rhythm guitars? Normally I record everything dry and add reverb in post.

would be any problem if the bass is tracked in stereo also? Since I am not using Fx on the kemper?

have a great day guys!

Agreed, that being said using SPDIF means you can go stereo and „Space“ can be sent through to the interface as well, in which case the sound is identical to the Kemper headphone out.

yes man.

thanks again for being insistent on going through the focusrite live chat.

I am enjoying so much my Guidorist profiles through my outputs 3-4 now! ?

dream tone definitely!

Good to hear you found the problem. Maybe just a short troubleshooting for similar issues: Hearing via headphone out at the Kemper usually means “Stereo Signal” and “Space” enabled. However, both attributes are not your typical recording settings (mono; dry). That often leads to a recorded sound that is rather different to what you might be used to via headphone out.

yea definitely man but in this case there were lots of elements missing not only guitar freqs but also the mix of Fx wasn’t so wet as should be. It’s crazy it took me more than a year to figure out the problem was the interface.
    after we did A/B tests with focusrite support with music albums I noticed how guitars were far back in the mix on output 1-2 and how unbalanced was compared to same recording on outputs 3-4.

amazing support so far!

Just talked to focusrite support which is amazing! After lots of tests we did They diagnosed I have a hardware fault on outputs 1-2 since the interface is on warranty they are going to replace the unit for a new one. Thanks a lot Kaschko for your advice to contact them.

It has been a great help!

By the way, Focusrite has a 24 hour live chat. I just contacted them with another issue and was first in the cue. So you'll probably get a faster answer than here if you do the same.

Guys as heads up I found the solution.

if anyone is having the same issue I connected my monitors into outputs 3-4 and the headphones also I am not using outputs 1-2 since those where sucking tone.

Does anyone know how to assign the main volume fader of the focusrite to outputs 3-4 ? Is the only issue I am facing now.

thabks a lot to everyone for your time and help!

This is a great forum I will try to do the same for others like need help and advice like me.

have a great day guys!

By the way, Focusrite has a 24 hour live chat. I just contacted them with another issue and was first in the cue. So you'll probably get a faster answer than here if you do the same.

thanks a lot dude.

my es I contacted them I talked with a realtor helpful guy on the chat but all the troubleshooting and fixing drivers didn’t fix the issue. They asked me to submit an audio file but my point is that they are not going to be able to compare it to the tone I get straight from the kemper into the studio monitors or even the headphone out of the kemper. I also have disabled space feature so it’s not adding anything into the headphones.

I am running out of options.

Could be the problem is the focusrite interface?

Just so I understand, does the focusrite only sound bad through monitors or also through headphones?

the focusrite sounds different both headphones and through the monitors. I need to make a point here if someone listens to the audio it doesn’t sound bad but it’s lacking a lot of frequencies and sustain compared to when going straight from the kemper into Arge studio monitors bypassing the focusrite.

all the output in the kemper are fine I tried both -12db and 0db spdif and is practically the same. And I tried spdif master stereo and spdif stack and the same. In summary whenever the kemper goes into the focusrite out to the monitors sounds lifeless. I can feel it in my hands and also there is a lack of low mids.

I have 2 spdif cables tried both of them. This are 75 ohms spdif cables. I think they are fine? But even when going analog out of the kemper into the main line input sounds the same.

There’s definitely something wrong there. I don’t believe a Focusrite interface should sound like that with SPDIF. Which interface is it? Is it possible you have a setting in Control messed up? Even my old Saffire sounds great with SPDIF and XLR.

yes I am also surprised because it’s a Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen it has only year and a half it’s the last series.
    I did everything both with the computer off and on and it’s the same. Everything in focusrite control is default. There are no phase cancellations in terms of 2 monitoring happening. This is driving me crazy definitely.

I think you may have answered your own question here!

It sounds as though you have two signal sources running simultaneously and these are out of phase with each other.

You need to run through the entire signal chain from beginning to end to find what is causing this.

Are you using direct monitoring on the Focusrite AND hearing a second signal from the armed record track in the DAW for example.

hey man!

No, I am using only direct monitoring from focusrite control. I did another test and with spdif into the focusrite and the computer off did A/B between kemper into the focusrite out of the monitors and kemper straight to the monitors. And there is still a big difference, it feels right like I am playing through an amp all the characteristics of the amp the mids the resonance all is there. When I go into the focusrite everything gets lost is like someone put a gate and a filter before reaching the monitor.

I would like to add another comment have been doing more tests and with the computer off I am running 2 spdif into kemper and focusrite 6i8 even with the computer off sounds totally different when going through the interface than when I plug the same iloud monitors into the kemper straight.

Are there different spdif qualities in terms of interfaces?

Have any of you experienced something like this with a focusrite interface?

Thanks again!

Hi guys,

how are you? I am new posting here

I am having a deal with my focusrite sucking life out of my kemper. I have tried everything spdif different cables.

first I thought it was the kemper or the profiles but with headphones everything sounded amazing so I connected my iloud Mtm direct to the kemper out set to stack same as I was using on the focusrite and voila kemper back to life.

I did A/B going spdif and even spdif all my profiles are lacking life and definition.

Any idea?

do you guys think that even going spdif focusrite is not a good option ?

The sound when going through the focusrite is like if it was out of phase (it’s like the sound is muffled and trapped into the speakers) now when I go straight from the kemper to the monitors everything works perfect.

This is killing my mind

any idea or advice would be greatly appreciated!