Posts by ToH2002

Ich spiele hier im Studio über zwei sehr schöne Adam A7X Studiomonitore - aber wenn ich meinen Sound grob eingedreht habe, teste ich ihn immer noch parallel über meine kleine Live-Abhöre (QSC K8.2) in (annähernder) Live-Lautstärke, um nicht dem Fletcher-Munson-Effekt zm Opfer zu fallen.

Ansonsten wird der Sound für live einfach zu spitz und garstig...

Für den Abstand ca. 3 m sind die QSCs eine ziemlich gute Option - ich verwende sie sowohl als Gitarren- als auch als Keyboard-Amp (FRFR), und sie geben richtig ordentlich Druck und klingen über den gesamten Frequenzbereich sehr gut. Und sind natürlich auch super-transportabel, können gleichzeitig aber sehr anständig laut tönen.

I am a scientist and great fan of kemper: I wonder whether it is possible to simulate different pickups or guitars much as different amps

Hmm, ever heard of a Variax?

Granted, it's not profiling, but classic "modelling", but with my James Tyler Variax plus my Kemper, I'm pretty much up to anything - Drop D LP to open tuning acoustic with the twist of a knob...

Good enough for my purposes - and even for a Doobie Brother like John McFee...

Wäre es auch möglich ein Drop-D zu erstellen? So das ich mit einem Finger Powerchords spielen kann?

Danke

Das geht nur, indem man die Saiten EINZELN verstimmen kann - kannst Du mit einer Variax "softwareseitig" oder einer Gibson Robot Guitar "hardwareseitig" auf Knopfdruck - mit dem Kemper kannst Du nur alles, was reinkommt, verstimmen, also alle Saiten gleichmäßig...

Da hilft nur entweder schnell kurbeln oder zweite Klampfe mitbringen...

Ich habe da den Luxus, dass ich in meinem Studio = Proberaum eine verkleinerte Version unserer typischen Live-PA stehen habe. Wir nutzen die HK Audio Elements; wenn wir da live unterwegs sind, dann sind bis zu 3,6 kW am Start mit 4 Subs pro Seite und einer vollen 16-Hi-Mid-Treibersäule; im Studio steht da halt je ein Sub und gerade mal 4 Hi-Mid-Treiber.

Den Basis-Sound für meine Kemper-Presets bastle ich mir mit einigermaßen ordentlicher Lautstärke auf der PA; damit ist der grundsätzliche Sound aus EQ / Definition / Clarity schon mal gut. Wenn ich dann vielleicht noch Gain anpassen, irgendwelche Stomps konfigurieren, Delay/Reverb/Chorus tunen will, dann brauche ich nicht unbedingt die volle Kapelle; das kann ich dann auch per Kopfhörer oder bei Zimmerlautstärke auf meinen Monitoren anpassen.

Wer nicht gerade den Luxus einer skalierbaren PA hat, kann das Spiel genauso mit einer ordentlichen FRFR-Box spielen: grundsätzlichen Sound bei ordentlicher Lautstärke eindrehen; Fine-Tuning der Effekte dann bei ohrenschonenden Lautstärken...

Do you mean something like this?

- Behringer MicroHD HD400 Hum Destroyer

- Ebtech HE-2 HumEliminator

Does it color the sound?

Yep, those should do the job - that is: if your problem is caused by a ground loop. So if you have a nice and solid 50Hz hum, then those beasts can save the day. Sometimes, they also work on "chirping" high-frequency noises, especially coming from connecting a laptop to a PA.

What they won't help you with are other phenomena, like e.g. "microphonic pickups" or electrical interference going into your pickup (e.g. lighting interfering with single-coil pickups - humbuckers have a definite advantage there.

It never hurts to have one of those little boxes in your kit bag - you never know when you'll need them. Don't forget to pack XLR to TRS adapters as well (both male and female XLR).

To normal ears (as opposed to "golden" or "bat ears"), these adapters won't color the sound - nothing you'll hear in a live context anyhow.

Cheers,

Depends what you're connecting to - sometimes a DI box between your KPA and the P.A. can help, since it separates the KPA from the rest of the setup. It's a bit overkill (DI is supposed to make an unsymmetric signal symmetric, while the KPA already delivers symmetric output), but the galvanic separation can definitely help on any ground noise issues.

No, the sample sent by the OP definitely doesn't sound like the sound in the Youtube video by TopJimi- although he didn't say which specific Profile from the Jubilee pack was used.

One suggestion to Terence : to isolate the problem in the recording chain, could you listen to your output with headphones directly from the Kemper headphone out? If the output sounds the same, we can rule out the S/PDIF connection and the audio interface.

Next: once you've checked and verified this, can you re-create the setup that gave you that horrible sound (with the Strat going into the Jubilee profile) and (a) record it again (just to be sure) and then (b) switch off the amp and the cabinet block and record again? Then post the results - this would make it pretty easy to see if there's anything wrong with the signal that goes into the Kemper, without the interaction with the amp and cab stage.

Maybe you could also do the same with one of the free profiles in the Kemper rig packs - would make it easier for others to help you, since then everybody can work from the same profile. E.g. use the "TJ Mars JM100 Max Bst" from TopJimi (if you like the TopJimi vibe) or the Soldano profile by Bert Meulendijk ("BM - Sold 99 Cases Dst 2") for a heavier vibe. If you can provide samples of these profiles with amp/cab active and then with amp/cab bypassed, this could help others reproduce what's going on.

Also, it would really help to reset the global parameters of your Kemper to be sure nothing nasty is hidden somewhere. Maybe even doing a full factory reset would be helpful to create a clean slate before doing the above.

Also: what is your input LED doing when you play in this setup? Is it peaking to red or is it barely flickering? Or solid green throughout? To me, the audio clip you posted sounds like the level of the Strat you are playing is too low, so only the hard hits actually get to overdrive the amp, with a lot of semi-clean in between. You could play with the "Distortion Sensitivity" parameter on the input page to boost the level of your input - that might get you somewhere more pleasant...

If you're serious about finding out what's wrong, the only way is to eliminate possible sources of the problem one by one by isolating them, i.e. taking other variables out of the setup.

I'm sure we can help you get to something that sounds dimensions better than the sample you posted. But that means going through your setup step by step and checking results and posting clips and maybe screenshots - happy to help if you're open to that.

Cheers,

Torsten

BTW: My only exception to this general rule would be if you do a lot of "live" modulation of delay / reverb settings (e.g. via Morph) - in this case, delay / reverb is part of the performance and difficult to re-create in the mix later. And the Kemper definitely gives you the tools to go completely wild - that's completely different territory...

Cheers,

Torsten

I would definitely only record the dry signal - there's tons of delays and reverbs in your DAW that you can use to get the track to sit perfectly in the mix. And it gives you more creative freedom than simply recording delay / reverb as a separate stereo track - it's not that the Kemper delay / reverb are so dramatically superior to anything that you'll find in your DAW that it would be worth it IMHO.

I usually try different flavors of reverb / delay and tune reverb time and delay feedback multiple times during a mix - with a fixed "printed" reverb/delay track, you don't have this flexibility.

I'd suggest you choose delay / reverb settings on your Kemper that give you the best feeling during the recording process - but record the dry signal without delay / reverb. The good feeling will definitely show - also on the dry track...

Cheers,

Torsten

Are other's experiencing issues with performances not sticking (writing to profiler) when using the orange save to profiler buttons?

Yes, there's a dedicated thread on this in the Rig Manager forum.

Plus, the "store to profiler" button gets de-activated when switching slots (another bug report thread on the Rig Manager forum).

So still a bit to be done until the editor becomes truly useful in Performance mode.

To add my post to this thread - here the step-by-step bug report from my side

* Open a performance in RM3 for editing (double-click to preview and edit)

* make a change to slot 1 (e.g. change gain for the amp from 1.5 to 2.0

* press the "Store Performance in #x" button

* open a different performance for editing

* go back to the first performance

* the changed parameter is back to its original value (e.g. gain 1.5 instead of 2.0)

This is extremely unpleasant - means that while I can edit comfortably on my PC, I need to run over to the Stage to do the saving.

Please, Kemper team, hope you can fix this soon...

Cheers,

Torsten

We already had a thread on this issue:

Right, but

a) I was originally addressing a different issue (the "store" button de-activating)

b) I was trying to create a reproducible step-by-step bug report instead of adding another "It doesn't work" to the thread.

Happy to attach the second post to the other thread - the first one is a different matter.

Addendum: even when saving with the store button, the changes don't actually get saved on the Profiler (Stage)

* Open a performance in RM3 for editing (double-click to preview and edit)

* make a change to slot 1 (e.g. change gain for the amp from 1.5 to 2.0

* press the "Store Performance in #x" button

* open a different performance for editing

* go back to the first performance

* the changed parameter is back to its original value (e.g. gain 1.5 instead of 2.0)

This is extremely unpleasant - means that while I can edit comfortably on my PC, I need to run over to the Stage to do the saving.

Please, Kemper team, hope you can fix this soon...

Cheers,

Torsten

* Open performance in RM3 for editing

* Make a change to slot 1 -> Store Performance in #x button becomes active

* go to another slot for editing -> Store Performance in #x becomes inactive (even though unsaved changes are still in memory)

* Need to make a change to activate the Store button again

Store button should stay active across all slots in a performance once you've made a change in any one slot.

Cheers,

Torsten

BTW a quick question: is there a way to set the MIDI output on a Stage to THRU (since the Stage doesn't have a physical THRU port)? Not that this is really an important requirement - I guess the Stage is typically more a MIDI sender than a forwarder...

Interesting observation: in the System menu of the Stage, it is still possible to select THRU for MIDI Device A and B, even though the Stage doesn't have a THRU port - maybe something to be fixed in a future OS update for the stage...

Cheers,

Torsten

midi THRU is midi THRU, and it works as it should: as midi THRU !

To clarify this for the semi-MIDI-literates: according to the MIDI specification, a MIDI Thru port is supposed to forward exactly the data that is received at MIDI In, without adding or modifying anything. In this sense, the Kemper MIDI Thru mode is actually 'perfect' - it conforms 100% with the MIDI specification.

Anything beyond purely forwarding the input is not strictly MIDI Thru - if you want to merge MIDI input to Kemper output, that would be a "merged output" function. Whilst this is certainly something that could be wished for (hint: feature request), it strictly not a deficit of the MIDI Thru function.

To stop nitpicking terminology: I would support a feature request for a MERGE mode for the outputs that merges MIDI input and Kemper output. This is what you would need for the Strymon scenario above: send control messages to it from the Kemper and use the editor from the PC at the same time. Currently, you have to use THRU (for the editor) or OUT for control via the Kemper.

The picture above (by kpahuitsing ) should work with Thru.

(Of course, the THRU port can't be set as a MIDI device output (System menu) if you want to use it as THRU)

Cheers,

Torsten