Posts by bleys21

Spectrum offers are not the same everywhere I know, but here in California, you don't have to use the Spectrum router. Instead they will give you a cable modem, and you can use your own router. This would be the way you'd want to do it if you plan on trying the mesh routing idea. Again, though, if you already have signal issues getting to that side of the house, the mesh router will have the same issues unless you run an ethernet wire to that side to plug into the mesh router. Another option if you have to use wireless to connect the mesh router is to be very flexible with its placement: find a location on that side of the house that gets a good signal from the main router, and install the mesh router there. Then the mesh router will fill that area with wireless signal, hopefully covering the area(s) you need.

To add to what folks already said, I also have the Asus mesh router setup. Make sure the two Asus models are the same, or are mesh compatible with each other.

Also, if you already have wireless signal issues in the area you want wireless, a mesh router that's connecting via wireless back to your router is going to have the same problem: bad/no signal. I fixed this by actually running ethernet to my mesh router, and that works great. But I work in IT, so doing stuff like that is second nature, and may not be something you feel comfortable doing.

I cheated, and didn't ground it. The foil alone was enough to prevent the noise from the router from reaching the back of the powered M-Audio unit.

That said, it would be really easy to attach a wire with an alligator clip (or even solder) to the foil, then connect it to the center screw of one of the AC outlets nearby. Assuming the house AC is grounded properly, naturally. And assuming you're using US standard 60hz AC power. I can't speak to other standards, but should be similar ways to ground, just the connection may be different.

Just curious, which ground did you connect the aluminum foil to?

Fairly easy test: get some tinfoil, and place between your computer and guitar. If it won't stay there on its own, you can wrap it around a piece of cardboard. Then try moving it around until the interference goes away (hopefully, anyway :) )

I had to do this for my M-Audio monitors, as they were picking up noise from my router. Problem solved, even if it looks a little weird.

I'm certainly not up to speed yet on bass pickups like I am on guitar pickups, but I wonder a similar thing with the Jazz bass clone I've got...maybe the pickups just aren't very good? I kinda bought it as a potential modding platform, so I may need to take the plunge and buy some decent pickups for it...

Yeah, you're probably right :) I'm not a bass player, but did just buy one, mainly for my son, but I also wanted to mess with it as well, and I've run into similar problems trying to find a profile that I like. I don't want to say they don't sound good, as that's subjective, but playing on headphones I just can't find anything so far...

Yep, I've been doing this for a while using Virtualbox on Ubuntu, and it works great. A testament to how well the Kemper guys follow the USB standards, as I could not ever get the Line6 stuff to work with it very well.

While I don't have one anyone, so I can't test it, the best method from what I've read in various places is to take the output from the Kemper, and connect that to the Effects return on the Katana 100w. That should take the Kemper signal and send it right to the Katana's power amp section, bypassing all the effects and such.

Yeah, its a hard call, since I ran the Katana as is, not using the Kemper as a source. The 100w model had various low power settings: 100w, 50w, and .5w, and was kinda designed around 5 main tones: Brown, Clean, Crunch, Lead and Acoustic, which are definitely going to color the sound. That said, the Clean channel is pretty clean, and I'd probably start there if I was going to use the speaker simulation stuff from the Kemper. They do have a computer based editor that you can probably disable most everything in the Katana, and just use it as a (mostly) uncolored amp.

I just read something someone posted on TheGearPage that said to run the Kemper into the Effects return on the 100w, and its a great self powered guitar cab. That's probably a better idea than running through the Clean channel as I mentioned above, and it avoids all the built in effects and such, and sends your signal right to the power amp section. Also, I'm pretty sure the 50w doesn't have the Effects loop, so you may have to go with the 100w to use it that way.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure about the 50w version, but before I traded up to get the Kemper, I had the 100w Katana, and even though its a solid state amp, it got seriously loud, more like a tube amp than any SS amp i've had before. I suppose it depends on your bandmates, but I think you would be fine with the 100w...