Posts by deckard1

I’m relatively new to the Kemper. If I wanted to put a pedal (MXR Phase 90) in front of the Kemper and not through the effects loop, is it just a matter of having my guitar go into the pedal and then the pedal going into the guitar input of the Kemper? I wasn’t sure so thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Yes. Use the left knob in browse mode to select the filter options. For me, I set it to Favorites, and if I want something outside of that list, I just set it to All Rigs (temporarily). My Kemper is always set to favorites, so I am not swimming through rigs that I might use down the road, or for recording, but not a regular basis.

Thanks! Will check it out.

You have to be working on the Kemper on the left side pane, to be working on the profiles on the Kemper itself. On the left hand pane, select the Kemper, and you'll see the profiles that reside on your Kemper. If you select the profile and change anything you'll see it sync to the Kemper.

HTH

Great! Thank you. Will try it out. So I can then just pull up the favorites with the 'browse' knob on the Kemper and it will be there?

I'm new to the Kemper so please forgive my newbie question. I did read the Rig Manager manual but am still a bit confused. When previewing rigs in Rig Manager and marking my favorite profiles as 'favorites'...how do I get those favorites I've marked in Rig Manager to appear as my favorites on the Kemper?

Many thanks.

Then you don't need the Master Outs to connect to your interface, use SPDIF instead. This way the Master Outs are still free for other purposes and theres no conversion from analog to digital.

Thanks! Got the computer speakers working in stereo with the cable you recommended.

I’ll have to read up on S/PDIF as a I’ve never used it before. Isn’t there an issue with clocking and the Kemper and audio interface when using S/PDIF?

Thanks.

Monitor Out is Mono, that's why you're only hearing one channel. You can make the Monitor Out stereo by utilizing the Direct out too (there's a tick box within the output menu named "Monitor stereo"). Or you use the Master Outputs and dial in Master Stereo within the output menu.

Thanks! I think I understand now. I was hoping to use the Master Outputs for my audio interface and then use the Monitor Out just for hearing myself play guitar through the computer speakers. I must need a Y-cable then to connect to Monitor Out and Direct Out to get stereo through my computer speakers?

Hello,

Is it possible to connect the computer speakers pictured below to the Kemper and get both speakers to output sound? I am only getting sound out of the left speaker when going out of Monitor Output on the back of the Kemper. The speakers are Bose Companion 2 Series III.

Thanks.

I think the Apogee Jam (and the IK Multimedia iRig devices) is doing its own amplification in the device (with gain set by the rotary dial), so that's why you're getting an overloaded signal. It would be better to use a basic iOS-compliant interface to get a line-level signal into your portable device. If the Jam is working for you, great - otherwise, you could do a web search for "budget iOS audio interface" to see what's around. I have a Zoom U-44 that works well for this, it was on a half-price deal when I bought a while ago. The U-24 is similar, with less inputs & cheaper.

You know what? I think you are absolutely right! Much appreciated. Not sure why that didn’t occur to me. I need to find something inexpensive as I am saving up for a nice audio interface. The iPhone idea was just for quickly laying ideas down . I’ll look into the various options and report back.

Thanks again!

Thanks for everyone's help.

I actually had an Apogee Jam laying around so I used it and it seems to do the job okay. I used a low-z to hi-z converter from the Kemper into the Apogee Jam and then went into the iPhone and iPad. It records from the Kemper now. It's not perfect though because the Jam gets overloaded rather easily...the signal level on the interface.

As above - you should use the balanced XLR outputs from the Kemper into the TRS sockets of your interface, using XLRf-TRS cabling. Alternatively, you *may* be able to PAD the XLR/Mic inputs down on your interface to bring the level down to something that doesn't clip, or you could run the output of the Kemper into a DI box if you have one, to take bal Line down to bal Mic.

Either of these solutions is preferable to running TS (unbal) instrument cabling as the latter doesn't reject the interference/noise that can be picked up and the level will be 6dB down from bal Line as the extra XLR pin (3) will be grounded or not connected. If this is just a quick demo recording just to get some ideas down or stick on YouTube at 128kbps I wouldn't worry too much, but if you're committing something to a recording that you're going to want to mix later, stay balanced.

I guess you have an interface with combo XLR/Jack inputs that auto-switches between Mic and Line modes depending on the physical connector, trying to be helpful? A lot of Focusrite units are doing this now.

Thanks! Yes, Focusrite interface. If I put an XLR cable into the input of the interface the interface will interpret that at mic level.

I actually have a S/PDIF input and output as well on the Focusrite. Would it better to use that instead? I don't know a lot about using S/PDIF.

Thanks.

Hello,

First post. Hope my question is not too simple.

When connecting the Kemper in stereo to my audio interface, I want to use the XLR outputs (Left and Right) of the Kemper into the 1/4 inch inputs of my audio interface. My audio interface needs the 1/4 inch input connections in order to be line level. For the cables, should the 1/4 inch side be balanced or unbalanced?

Thanks