Posts by SeanChristopher

Theres definitely some magic in great connections between band members and a band being in sync and on point. That's something special to behold for sure! ^^

As far as the ODs go, I just hope they update them soon. The Axe FX III and FM3 firmware was just updated and had some new ODs added. Even a Precision Drive! || Which is an OD designed for tightening up high gain amps. I'm like, praying and hoping that something similar is added to the stomps with the OD updates, or that there will be a way to recreate that OD with whatever parameters are utilized for the general OD stomp if that's the route they go. The Precision Drive was amazing when I tried it but I can't afford one. It'd be awesome to have an option like that in the Kemper.

Honestly, seeing how many ODs are in the Axe FX III and FM3, compared to the Kemper, is super sad and disappointing lol. It legitimately bummed me out to see my favorite OD added to the dozens of ODs already in the Axe FX. I'm stoked for everyone who uses Fractal gear. But, it would be nice to have those kinds of options in the Kemper.

I know these things take time so I'm not rushing the update. I'm just saying, seeing another competing product that already has such a large variety of ODs compared to the Kemper, get even more really great ODs added while we're all waiting and putting in feature requests for ODs all the time, kind of sucks lol.

I hope that they update them in the near future at least! But regardless, I still love my Kemper lol.

I think it depends on how a comment is perceived by members of a given forum. In the case of the Fractal Audio forum, I've always made it very clear I love both units equally, so anything positive I say with regards to the Kemper isn't meant as an attack against the Axe-Fx, and that tends to diffuse any defensiveness that might normally result.

Super true! Great insight ColdFrixion!

I actually was recently talking on another forum about something similar to that. I that how something is said is much more important than what the general message is. A huge part of communication is delivery:) and your insight makes me think of that general concept ^^

It seems great minds think alike! There are definitely awesome people on each side of the fence and even people who don't get along can find some common ground on these forums. I think that's part of the great thing about the gear community :)

I too, hope to be in both camps and have both units like you do. So like you, I don't promote the need to make one out to be better than the other or anything like that. They're both great units and both have really strong advantages to them. It would be awesome to have both one day ^^

I own an Axe-Fx III and Kemper, and while most members here are well mannered, I've been engaged in debates on this forum regarding the Axe-Fx III that are far more toxic than anything I've been privy to on the FAS forum. Moreover, I've never been attacked on that forum for espousing my love of the Kemper.

And the one that doesn't have the toxic fanbase and the owner who's a complete jerk.

I think it varies from person to person. I've been attacked on forums for having opposing views regarding the 2 units we're talking about. I've totally been attacked by a Fractal user for saying I love my Kemper and preferred the tones I get out of it. So it really can go either way on these forums and it isnt exclusive to any fanbase. But I've also experienced people being really cool and sharing insight and knowledge. I've seen both extremely toxic people, and really great people, on both sides of the fence.

I think the experiences vary so much from person to person. I don't think either the Kemper or Fractal fanbase is more toxic than the other. But I do think their fanbases are really passionate and sometimes individuals can take that a little far. But it's coming from a place of support for what they believe in so, it isn't all bad in my opinion.

Idk why I posted this lol. I'm not saying anything negative about you or implying anything negative. I guess I'm just saying that there's a lot of good and bad on both sides.

But of course, you're entitled to your opinion and we can disagree and still be cool :)

Hi lepappy , you should be good to go :) I'm sure other forum members will give more in depth explanations though. And if it happens to have a chance of degrading sound quality or adding additional noise, I'm sure someone will speak up and hopefully have a solution for you.

But from what you said about your setup and situation, it shouldn't be a problem and you should be good to go. Especially if the adapter is the one that came with the Focusrite, it should be designed to work in that scenario and solve the problem of varying power to the unit.

You could always just try it and see what happens. I doubt anything extreme would happen. If you try it and don't get any significant noise, then you'll be golden ^^ I'd say give it a shot!

halipino Another suggestion that might help with any harshness in profiles, is to experiment with the "Pure Cabinet" parameter. At 0, it's turned off and that's where I prefer it for high gain sounds personally. But many users on the forum use it to smooth out the high end fizz that's usually caused by mic placement and how it affects the sound. I think with the stock setting, it comes at 3.5 or something and it's on globally and you can change it from rig to rig I think.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but, it's definitely a parameter that's worth experimenting with and understanding because it's a powerful tool and unique feature that some Kemper users swear by and have on every profile.

HTH :)

I highly recommend experimenting!

I found a bunch of info against using the merge cabinet feature if I wasn't the one who made the original profile but, I actually found in certain cases I've gotten great results by trying it when possible. If it sounds good, go with it.

You always can save whatever you've changed in a profile as a new profile. So instead of overwriting the original profile, it saves as a new one :) just make sure to hit "save as" after hitting the "Store" soft button :thumbup:

To quote a famous Australian saying, "Yeah, nah." (Yes I hear what you're saying, no I don't agree with you).

I think we should give Kemper a bit of credit, that gain knob does work exceptionally well in both directions, different rigs may respond better than others though. Tweak it to your heart's content, what's the worst that can happen? (Aside from eternal damnation or going blind).

Sometimes, your sound just need that extra push over the cliff, and where else are you gonna go?

I also think people don't give the Kemper much credit in that department. I think its very underestimated. In my experience, the gain knob has been pretty accurate sounding even when turned up.

I think most people's negative experiences with turning the gain up are from trying to crank the gain a lot, or from trying to turn up the gain in a profile that was closer to clean to begin with. In my opinion, as long as the profile you're starting with has some of gain to begin with,you can usually get good results turning the gain up a bit(as long as you don't go too crazy and add a bunch of gain to a really low gain profile lol)

Obviously, a super low gain profile will sound weird if someone's trying to get searing high gain sounds out of it lol ^^ But in moderation, usually turning the gain up has gotten me some good results.

(Keep in mind, I don't turn the the gain up more than 3 or 4 past where it was at originally on the gain knob)

But it's true that some profiles respond better to turning the gain up than others!

Thanks a lot!!

That's just weird cause as far as i understand, the profile is being captured with a certain cab - so how can we change it?

Its pretty cool how it works. Check out the manual and look for the section "Working with Amplifier Profiles, Cabinet Profiles, Power Amps, and Guitar Cabs" and the first section ("Cab Driver") explains how the amp and cab is separated in profiles :)

But basically, there's something called CabDriver that separates the amp and cab in a Studio Profile. It basically guesses where the amp ends and cab begins and separates them so you can swap the cab sections of profiles. With Merged Profiles, the way that they're made basically makes the Amp and Cab section separated really accurately so, Cabs saved as presets from Merged profiles will be the most accurate representation of that cab and mic setup. But, using the cabs from Studio profiles sound really good and the Kempers' CabDriver algorithm seems to guess where to separate the Amp and Cab sections pretty well in my experience.

I'm not 100% how all of it works but, hopefully some of my explanation made sense lol! :D

I'd definitely recommend checking out the manual for some info on "CabDriver". And there's a lot of really good info in the manual too!:)

Great thank you for your answer man.

That might be a stupid question but can you change the cab only for direct profiles?

Not a dumb question at all :) all questions are welcomed! We all start somewhere and I was wondering the same thing at some point when I got my Kemper lol ^^

You can change the cab section for any profile. To save a cab from a profile, select the cab section, then hit save and save it as a preset. Then when you want to use it with a profile, just select the cab of that profile, then use the dial to find it in presets and select it. Super easy once you do it a few times ;)

Hopefully I explained it okay enough lol

Feel free to lmk if you have any other questions

Some people will advise you to not tweak profiles at all. That method definitely works for some and might work for you. You just gotta find what works for you

For me personally, I've gotten the best results by tweaking profiles. If I were you, I'd try tweaking the Definition, then Presence and Treble, then Mids and Bass. I'll occasionally tweak some other parameters but those are the main parameters I'll always need to tweak. And if tweaking those parameters didn't work out, try swapping the cab to a different cab section. Try saving a few cabs as presets, from a few profiles you really like the overall sound of. And then try swapping the cab section and see what happens:)

Honestly, in my opinion, the cab section you use will make the biggest impact on your tone. The Cab is underestimated and in my opinion shapes a huge part of your tone. So try experimenting with that a little bit and see if you can get good results.

One important thing I would suggest is to only tweak profiles that are at least close to the tone you're after, or profiles that you really like something specific about (gain structure, response, feel, etc). I've wasted a lot of time trying to dial in a profile I thought was only okay, just seeing if I could get the tone I wanted out of it. And most of the time I can but, it'll take more tweaking than was worth it. Most of the time I'll get the best tones when the profile doesn't need so much tweaking. Sometimes I won't even need to tweak it and just changing the cab section makes all the difference.

So the people in the forum saying to not spend too much time tweaking a profile and to not waste time on profiles you aren't vibing with, definitely have a solid point and it's very valuable advice ^^ It'll save you TONS of time lol!

But at the same time, the Kemper has a very powerful EQ and powerful parameters in the amp section that can shape the sound. It can be empowering to learn how to use them to your advantage :)

Different things work for different people. You'll find what works for you ^^ Especially with all the advice and knowledge the others in this forum share with each other! And you'll have some great advice to go off of at least ;)

Hi KRoll86 , I was having a similar issues with IRs I exported from GGD Zilla Studio Cabs as well.

I haven't any compatibility issues so far because if I remember correctly, you can choose the bit depth and settings for the exported IRs. If you're still having compatibility issues, I'd look into how to set the IRs to export it 44kHz, 24 bit.

And for converting them to be able to use in the Kemper, I believe in Rig Manager you can just drag the .wav files into your "presets" folder and they'll automatically convert to be used in the Kemper. I don't think you need the CabMaker software anymore but, I'm not 100% sure and I'll look into that for you. I'll post an update when I find out for sure for you :)

As for the GGD Zills Cabs IRs being too quiet when exported, I'm honestly not sure how to fix it when exporting or from the GGD plugin unfortunately. I don't have this problem with any IRs from any other IR makers in my Kemper. So I don't think that the way Kemper converts the IRs is a problem. I've been using a plugin called Mikko to basically make my own IRs, and the IRs I export from that program are the same volume as all other IRs in my Kemper and on my computer. For some reason I think that GGD Zilla Studio Cabs exports the IRs a few dB lower than usual or something. I've tried cranking the input, output, and different faders in GGD Zilla before exporting and it makes no difference. I emailed GGD a few times and haven't gotten a response in months so I gave up lol. The way I worked around it was just turning up the Rig Volume parameter for whichever profiles I was using GGD Zilla IRs with. Rig Volume is in the Rig section and I use it to even out the volumes of different profiles. That seemed to be the only work around I could find, sorry.

Hope this helps!

bobbyodell sorry to hear it was a rough start but, I'm glad to hear you got it worked out and got your Kemper reformatted.

There are tons of great stock profiles and just like GuyJames said, the free MBritt and ToneJunkie profiles are a great place to start and they cover a lot of ground. If you're into anything heavier and are looking for some high gain or metal/hard rock profiles I'd suggest checking out the free SinMix profiles. Also, the Guido Bungenstock and Lars Luettge rig packs that are in Rig Manager are really great too and have some awesome high gain profiles.

Congrats on getting your Kemper!

And welcome to the Kemper Community :)

the current right click system works well for that as it give the option to return to saved value or default value rather than just one which double clicking would give.

I really like the options that right clicking gives you as well. Super nice feature and being able to switch between the saved value and default value (0), gives the ability to see how changing between 2 values instantly for a certain parameter will affect the tone :)

Such a great feature yet, such a simple feature. It's the little things that improve workflow that I've grown to appreciate ^^

I noticed this on my Editor too. It's also like that with the High Cut on my Editor too. It's super weird lol.

I'm going to submit a ticket so the Kemper team knows about the bug. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix and can be included in the next update. I use the Editor mainly now and having to go to the Stage unit just to dial in the High Cut and Low Cut when I'm at my desk with a guitar in my lap is kind of inconvenient lol.

But, the Kemper Team is usually pretty good at fixing the small stuff. Hopefully it's a quick fix ^^

It's awesome you're enjoying your Kemper Stage, and I think you made a great purchase and investment!

The Kemper Community is awesome!

The Kemper Team are always improving the Kemper and its software so, be prepared for years and years of support and new features for your Kemper Stage ^^

And the Kemper just sounds straight up awesome and is such a great piece of gear.

Congrats on getting your Kemper Stage,

& Welcome to the Kemper Community :)

If you really like getting into the tall grass and spending hours sculpting your tones, you can pick a good basic profile that gets you most of the way there and then tweak to your heart's content. However, unlike the amp modeling approach that Fractal and Line 6 employ, you don't have to. That was a big selling point for me.

Anyway, hope this is useful. People often assume that all amp modeling products are the same at heart, but the Kemper is its own thing. I think that's why it's done so well.

This is something I LOVE about the Kemper, and its something I try to explain to people. Many extremely uninformed people believe profiles are stuck where they're at sonically because they're basically a snapshot of a tone. But that's just not true at all. With the Kemper, there's actually a lot of tweak-ability so you can change the way a profile sounds.

The major distinction between the typical modelers approach and Kempers approach is that although you can tweak the profiles and have a lot of flexibility, you don't have to in order to get a great tone. You can get a great tone fast and because profiles are dialed in already. But if you want to basically build a tone from sceatch, you can do that too by using a profile and tweaking it and changing the cab and you can basically take the same approach as you would with a modeler and get great results that way too.

The Kemper is such an awesome unit because it's capable of plug and play for the people that don't want to mess with tweaking much, and it's also capable of tweaking the profiles quite a lot so you can get almost any tone you want. And it truly sets the Kemper aside from the competition and imo gives it a big advantage. It's definitely part of why it's done so well, like you said ^^

The issue for me is that they are not predictable, so for me its another variable to play with and get bogged down with.

In other words, you find a profile you quite like, you start changing IR's ( fairly randomly as you don't know the effect they will have) to get more different ( not necessarily better) sounds. I then look back and think I've just lost 2 hours and not got any further.

So I agree with the above, try a profile and if you can;t get it how you want via e.q. etc. within 5 mins, move on...personally I avoid IR's now..

Yeah that's my gripe with using traditional IRs as well.

The solution that works for me, that I've been talking about, isn't the same as using traditional IRs. So it isn't like trying out countless files lol.

If I'm not happy with the cab in a profile but really like the gain structure and response of the profiles amp, I'll pull up a plugin called Mikko and I'll basically dial in and make an IR for the profile. Because of how the UI is, it saves me tons of time. And having control over the way the cab is mic'd up has gotten me better results than I've ever gotten when using IRs and is way faster than auditioning hundreds of IRs lol.

And honestly, for me there have been times when trying to find a new profile has been just as daunting and time consuming as going through a bunch of IRs. I guess it depends on your methods and workflow though. To each his own, right? Haha

My previous thread was deleted because I capitalized the title. People are very sensitive these days. :thumbdown:

I've had a threads title changed to all lowercase because I used all caps as well, so I feel your frustration lol.

All caps being frowned upon so much is a mystery to me too, my friend lol. But truth be told, I see mods and other users using all caps in posts all the time so, I think it's more frowned upon when it comes to titles of threads. It's natural to want to emphasize things when communicating this way with others. That's just my opinion though.

Whats funny about this is that my threads title that was changed to all lowercase, was also a thread about more overdrives in the Kemper hahaha :D

More overdrives has been a request that a lot of users support. I know I'd personally love some more OD options. I've heard on the forum that there are some more ODs possibly in the works right now and might be released in a future update ;)

If there's one thing the Kemper teams great at, it's listening to users' requests and continuously improving the Kemper. I have a good feeling about more ODs possibly coming at some point in the nest future :)