Posts by xzyryabx

I have the same studio monitors and also mainly use high-gain profiles from the producers you mentioned.

One of the standard things I do to most profiles is add a low-pass filter b/w 70-110Hz depending on the cab, a notch filter to taste to mute some of the droning bass frequencies that make the profiles a bit muddier than I would like, and set the amps compressor around 5.

If its a very bassy profile, I'll play around with the high/low shift cab settings.

I need to setup the same profile specifically to each of my guitars to get the ideal tone out of each, so I am assuming I will need to do that for each set of studio monitors and also volume levels; I noticed that bassy profiles don't sound as bassy once I raise the volume.

To answer part of your question, yes, you can record a loop and use it to audition rigs. All you need to do is find the settings page for the looper and switch it's position b/w pre and post. I forget which one you need to choose but it's easy to figure out by trial and error.

There already is a latency control; two settings fixed or as little as possible (so to speak). I forget where to change that though. It's set to as little as possible by default.

On that note, I was messing around with the transpose feature recently and I couldn't detect any latency, even between 1 step vs 10. I recall noticing the latency before, so perhaps in one of the more recent updates they somehow were able to reduce the latency?

I think the monitor section is greyed out because the main link is selected. This allows you to control both the main and monitor output volumes at the same time using the master volume knob. Click on the top left soft button to unlink.

Is that true? Are you talking about the system/input/out settings?

I wouldn't expect that to be the case....

What I do is keep the original on my Kemper, immediately "save as" a new profile, then edit the new. To compare with the original profile I just switch to that.

The Kemper has a snapshot functionality but I haven't looked into that, so not sure how it works and if it would work for this.

And I can never understand why Pod and Kemper owners get personal, when you say your having problems with the gear they love.

How about you upload your samples, so we can hear what you think is a great tone?

How old are you? There's no need to be like that.

You're the one with a problem with the Kemper not him.

He makes a valid point, instead of vague "I don't like the tone I'm getting" complaints, post a clip so we can hear if what you are getting is what you should expect from the kemper, in which case you should just give up on the kemper as it's not for you, or we can let you know that it's not your ears and there is something wrong with the unit or interface/DAW setup.

Also, one thing I should mention, which you are probably already aware of, is the difference in tone b/w what sounds good for a recording vs what sounds good as a player in the room.

For recording, you actually want a thinner, more middy, less bass heavy sound (b/c the bass guitar and drums will fill that part of the spectrum in the mix), while when playing live, especially alone, you want a thicker tone.

The Kemper, as well as the modelers, are essentially emulating the tone you would get in the mixing room when you mic the cab and are listening through studio monitors, which is a shitty tone for playing live if you are looking for that in-the-room cab tone. Many say you can't get that tone from the Kemper but I disagree, it's very doable but of course will never be the same since you're using smaller speakers in the monitor and you won't be moving much air. I rarely record and use it exclusively for replacing my head/cab setup, and the results I'm getting I am very happy with. I usually need to activate pure cab, boost the lows (via a post-rig studio eq) a bit, maybe add a boost, maybe play around with the cab high/low shift filters.

Finally the guitar/pickups you use will naturally affect the tone, so unless you play with the same gear that the producers used in their sample videos your tone will sound different. Plus, you never know what reverb or post-processing the producers used for those videos.

Hold on to the Kemper, it can do what you need, you just need to get your head around what it is and how to manipulate it to get the tone you are looking for. I was so frustrated it with it the first month and missed my return window and got depressed that I was now stuck with a 2k paperweight, but now am so happy I can't believe I waited so long to get it.

I'm no Kemper pro, but when I first got mine I had a similar frustration, here is what I would suggest:

1) Try w/ Pure Cab off and then on at different levels

2) Test different gain settings (try not to go way too far off in either direction); try adding a clean boost or greenscreamer before the stack

3) Adjust the CAB high/low shift settings

4) Add a studio EQ after the stack

5) Adjust definition/clarity

6) Try pairing with another cab

7) If you have to tweak too much the profile isn't for you, try the next one. It now takes me around half an hour to setup a profile once I find one that is 90% there.

This reminds me of the "arguments" put forward by all the Napster users. At the end of the day it's an excuse for stealing. You don't walk around the grocery store eating food with the intention of paying only for the food you enjoyed.

It doesn't make you a bad person, but it is what it is.

Point taken, but the analogies in this thread, including this one, are off the mark.

A more accurate one would be the "taster" samples that are given out at the supermarket. You might say well that's what the free sample profiles are, but the difference is that the taster samples will be exactly what the product is, while the sample profiles are are not necessarily what you would be getting.

In any case, the fact is that with the profiles being a digital product, piracy WILL happen, so you can try to fight it like the music industry tried to fight mp3s and lose, or you could play it like protools and the iLok and cause headaches for your customers, or you could make lemonade out of lemons and try to work with the situation to your advantage.

And keep in mind, my point was that I think it is OK to try before you buy, not pirate.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I see nothing wrong with sharing paid profiles (or music/movies/shows for that matter), as long as you do it as a try-before-you-buy kinda thing. If you like it AND will be using it, then go out and buy the pack it came from.

Yes, I may have dropped around $2k for a profiler, but that sure as shit doesn't mean I have the $$ to drop 50 here and there until I find the right profile for me.

I think this is good for the producers as well. It helps to introduce them to ppl that may have never heard of them, or introduce someone to a product of theirs which would never have been on a consumers radar. If I spend $$ buying a pack which, to me at least, sounds like crap, and I can't return it, I'm not gonna risk spending more money on another one. But what if my ultimate profile is in another pack? We both lose out.

Plus, if you want to get philosophical about it, can the producers even claim a copyright for something like this? Just b/c I drew a copy of a Picasso doesn't mean that I have any legal claim to the $ someone made photocopying it and selling it on. Should Xerox get a bite of the profits? Should Picassos' estate be getting a bite too? If I tweak a profile of a Hagen running through Spawn 2x12 to make it sound more like my setup, isn't that now my creation and I'm free to do it with it as I please? I'm not a copyright lawyer so don't get on me on this, its just playing devils advocate here.

Yes, some folks will inevitably just torrent and not buy, but tough shit. It's gonna happen, learn to make the best of it. Just b/c you can make money selling profiles, doesn't mean that you can, should or will.