Posts by rafgys

kpahuitsing: is this really intended to work? Does the USB-A port also send and receive usb midi messages?

In the manual it says: "Since OS 10.2 the USB connection used for Rig Manager and USB audio can be used for MIDI transmission, too. USB MIDI mirrors the functionality of the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT sockets." I thought the usb connection "used for rig manager and usb audio" was the USB-B port on the Kemper (so the one on the back of my Kemper Rack).

I'm asking since in my case, I can use my Line6 FBV Shortboard V2 to control my Kemper rack using my PC (by using a DAW to send MIDI USB commands from my FBV shortboard to my Kemper ), but I can't use my FBV shortboard directly connected to my USB-A connection from my Kemper Rack (the one in the front).

The USB-A port does power up my FBV Shortboard, but it does not seem to receive the USB midi commands to my FBV Shortboard. So I thought the USB-A port on the Kemper (Rack) did not work for USB midi (and only the USB-B in the back could be used for this).

If it does work: can I use this in combination with my FBV shortboard? I think my FBV shortboard is USB class compliant, since it immediately works as USB controller on f.e. an iPhone or Ipad. So if the USB-A on the Kemper (Rack) works for USB midi, would it also work with my FBV Shortboard? I don't have any USB-B to USB-B cable (and connecting two USB-B cables using a usb-A to usb-A adapter does not seem to work, this does not power up my FBV Shortboard, so I haven't been able to test this.

Another question: in case the Rack USB-A port in the front cannot be used for my FBV Shortboard, would the USB-A port on the new Kemper Player work? It seems in the manual for the Kemper Player, both USB ports can be used for USB midi? So the new Kemper Profiler Player would work in combination with a Line 6 FBV Shortboard v2?

Thanks a lot! I'm a recent Kemper user myself, and I've been trying out most of the commercial profiles with my 2 H&K tubemeister 1x12 and 2x12 cabinets which I loaded especially for use with my Kemper with the new Celestion F12-X200 speakers (I've got a lot of different cabinets, but since the H&K tubemeister are "semi-ported" with a hole in the front, I thought I'd best put my new F12-X200 speakers in these since the recommended Celestion Cab design also uses a ported cab).

I've had decent success running all my tested profiles running through these 2 cabs in combination with a full range poweramps. I'm now using my Crown XLS1502 and t.amp S100 for testing, because till now these fullrange poweramps seem to work better with the F12-X200 then my SD170 or the Kempers own poweramp (these seem to have more mids and work better with my "normal" cabinets).

But I think your AKG perception P5 center profiles are the first ones which on spot on for my F12-X200 cabinets without any tweaking. Some others sound great as well, but only after some changes.

Till now (and I've gone through a few 1000's of profiles in the last weeks) I think your AKG P5 center sounds the most balanced until now (with both of your Harley Benton and Peavey cab profiles, so I suppose it's really the AKG that's making the difference here and not the cab itself).

I have an AKG perception P3 myself, but haven't made profiles of my own amps yet. To be honest, I would never have thought of using an AKG Perception for making Kemper profiles since these are mainly just considered "vocal" mics, no? But after using yours, I will definitely give my own P3 a go (or just buy a P5 myself, they are very cheap and good quality mics).

So thanks not only for the profiles, but for pointing me in the right direction for making my own ones in the future!

Did you record these with the P5 directly against the cabinet grill cloth, speaker center, straight angle?

PS: I think the noise gate setting on your lower gain profiles are reducing the dynamics quite a lot, I like these a lot better without the gate active.