Posts by Steve5478

It would be cool to explain us where you are from, what are your knowledges about rigs ?

Have you owned a modeler ? Or have you just played through a combo with a guitar ?

I had used to plug and play my guitar into my amp long time before....And nothing else matters....

Before owning the kemper, i've owned a Helix for two years and the journey was long but rich.

I've learned the incidence of mic place/type, FXs placement and parameters, speakers differences, 4CM, highcut/lowcut, etc....

When i bought my Kemper Stage, it was really easy for me....

I have learned that if you have a clean profile, Kemper doesn't know how the amp will act when pushed, so its hard to distort clean amp rigs. It can much easier cleaning dirty rigs. I'm going to seek out some dirty rigs instead of trying to distort clean ones, and switch to them when I want dirt. I love clean rigs, so I mostly have them but have not had much luck adding fuzz.

You should wait ! ;)

Liquid Profile gonna solve this problem soon ;) ^^

As I understand it the new liquid profiling update will capture the full gain range during profiling and allow a modelled tone stack to be applied to this effectively giving a full recreation of the original amp.

I haven't understood it like that.

For me, LP is just an add module to the profile which brings new values and behaviors ranges following the stack you choose.

We will be able to select liquid for old profiles and even choose an AC30 stack for a fender or Marshall, etc...

IMO, it'll be just an indication to tick in a menu (liquid on) - plus a list to choose the stack.

I don't think that in profiling process all the gain spectrum will be covered. We will be asked just the gain value cause the device can't guess this value by itself....

There are many situations, so it's hard to synthetize it quickly.
    Many points have been adressed.

First thing, we are talking about Professionals so, far from my concerns, they don't mind about cost, weight, number of devices....

I think we should separate old guitarists (as Knopfler ;) ). They have achieved their rigs during years when there were no such profilers/modelers....

They don't talk about it cause, i think the need doesn't come directly from them. I assume that the sound guys advice him/them to play with it to be more reliable/repeatable whatever the rooms.... The settings are quicker.... Guitarists just have to be reassured their sounds and their feelings will be the same as before....

For the younger, why not just a Kemper ?

I think some can only play on one amp with few FXs so they don't understand the need of having a sophisticated pedal, they know exactly what they want, i understand and respect that....

For the rest, i imagine it's lazyness, they've been influenced or snobbery...

It's more glamour (a kind of heroic quest to say) ; "i've choosen this particular muff, disto, etc.....cause i've tested hundreds of pedals and i love the result with this specific one....for the delay, the same and so on.....They've spent a lot of time to work out their pedalboard, Wahou ! Bravo !^^

I feel like there's a kind of denigration about digital stuffs, it seems like the work is so easy to do....

I meet the same with digital camera ; cause everyone has good cameras even on their smartphones, they think pictures will automatically be beautifull....NO, the tool has evolved but you have to acquire knowledges.... The position, the settings you choose will have an impact on the result...

Even a Kemper needs time to obtain the sound you want....But it's boring to say, i've gone on rig exchange, choosen JCM800 from XXX, set the parameters this way...Put a Kemper drive, etc... ^^:P8o

It'll be easier to summarize all that.... You won't talk about Kemper's shop to receive your Stage ?(8)^^:D

On the other side, i think we are paradoxical too.

Modelers/profilers offers the possibility to be so versatile with a huge amount of amp/cab sims and some of us plug and play devices through tube amps or cabs with one particular speaker (V30, greenback, etc)...

The question of ease and weight is another thing, a guitar, a modeler and plug it directly in the mix table.... And no ; i bring my Kemper Kabinet too.... :huh::rolleyes::/8o:D

I would love to see Kemper introduce some sort of "scene" style morphs that could be assigned to the stomp buttons. I love morphing for solos, but only having 2 "scenes" can be a bit limiting at times"

It's just a way of thinking....

I had a Helix before and my device was set with four differents snapshots for the 4 downside swicthes and stomps for the upside ones....

I wasn't lost with Kemper (just with terms) but for me i had Performances (instead of presets), 5 Rigs (= Snapshots) & FXs switches.....

Morphing is a wonderful option that can double your snapshots.....And you can have all values in between with a pedal....;)

I imagine elsewhere , it's called "scene" for performance's Rigs....

What do you want the answer for ? What can it change for us ?

It's just a question of terms (and design)....:/?(

The only thing i know is that tomorrow i will be able to turn the mid button from 8 to 3 on my fender Twin profile and it will react exactly the same as the actual one....

It would be more interesting to know what is your goal.... Cause the technique will not be necessarily the way to achieve it.

I wanna mean, Kemper could have modeled every electrical circuit resistor and so what ?

I assume you have a demand....

I dont see how when there so mamy variables to a amp, clipping of curcuits and all the components changing as you turn it up that a tonestack alone can dzplicate that. Well see. Hope so but...

I don't know how it works too (and i don't mind), but CK announced the mix of a modeler and a profiler with LP, saluted (or denounced :D^^?(:rolleyes:) by competitors. Modelers already exist and provide all the amp's settings....

I assume that one difficulty was to know where the starting point is. As i understand it, the profiler will be able to determine all the knobs position except gain position. From this, we will be able to tweak as we want as on an actual amp..... It's as simple as this for users ! ;)

I don't know how the tone stack acts/works too and how CK could marry a profile with a modeling behaviour but it's what we gonna have soon :thumbup:8)

Contrary to popular belief the guitar doesn't have a bass and treble side so the position of the port isn't that big an issue. The more important factor for me is avoiding the loss of vibrating area on the top which the traditional sound hole causes. The front facing sound hole does improve projection but that isn't an issue for recording (in fact it's probably a good thing as the last thing you want to do is mic the sound hole anyway) and for live use the under saddle pickup is doing most of the work anyway.

You are correct though about the increased size of the sound port(s) affecting bass. I am always surprised that the companies which add a side port don't reduce the size of their front sound holes accordingly. The guitar body is a simple Helmholtz resonator so the resonant frequency increased as the hole size increases. Smaller ports give more bass and larger ports less bass (all other things being equal).

Very interesting !

Thank you Steve.

I am going to add a second sound port on the next one. It will be on the cutaway side to top intersection. Almost like an open reverse version on the arm bevel. It should help facilitate even easier access to upper frets.

I also have an idea for a mor traditional headless design with the tuners at the body end but using an archtop style bridge.

I don't catch exactly where you want to do the second port ?!

Mickeal kelly and Gibson have a traditionnal front hole (deported and not round for MK) :

Gibson ;

As i understand it, you want to have a second port downside in the cutaway.

I'm sure you have more knowledges than me but aren't you afraid of loosing basses coming straight to you ?!

At the end, with what you show us, I know you won't do this second port randomly on this great and beautiful guitar ;)

What a great job !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::love:

I'm impatient to see Alan's guitars in my guitar centers ! ;):)^^

I really like the concept. I was interested in Mickael kelly's acoustics guitars with this soundhole (that Gibson i've done (again, if i'm not wrong) after). I would really like to hear this kind of guitar....But you go farther with this headless ! BRAVO, it's awesome !

The answer is the second point....

Kemper already purposes EQ everywhere in the chain, they are not going to tell us "what an improvement" with such a simple EQ.

I don't know exactly how it works (and i don't want to) but i'm sure that CK worked to have the true amp behaviors....

As i understand it, the mid/bass/treble position is guesses by processing, for the gain position, we just have to indicate it.

We will just have to turn the buttons, and all the crossover possibilities will be known with the same limits as the profiled amp....

Some sellers purposes many different cabs with their profiles.

The mic placement and type seems to stay the same. I guess they've got a methodology to obtain a repetitive result and i don't know if it would be good to have a tone of Profiles with these changes (i've lost some time playing and listenning to IR's and fed up with that, i don't want to go back in this waste of time).

On the other hand, we are buyers too and i assume i won't put a lot of money and it'll be difficult for sellers to justify 120 profiles for 3 amps i can obtain by myself with only 9 profiles i tweak with LP now....

For me it looks like LP is just a cosmetic improvement.

Instead of having a value X (generic) you will have a ("realistic") value Y for the LP for gain/tonestack.

The source (profile snapshot) will be the same and profiles with different amp settings will still be needed.

I don't think so....Rather the opposite...I even ask myself if profiles sellers won't only provide us one rig per amp in the future ?!

It should be possible and should be done like this. They won't have to spend time to set and profile every/many amp's tone possibilties cause LP will do it....They will just have to afford us a good profile with gain information and we will have the possibility to set how we want our rigs....